Sponsored by:

"Squared off corner"......

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Squared off corner"......

I’ve noticed the term “squared off the corner” used by Dorsey Schrader recently and I want to make sure I understand what it means. Is it late braking and late turn-in that creates the “squared off corner,” or is it some other technique that I’m not picking up?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That seems to be the definition AFAIK. It allows you to get on the gas as soon as possible and accelerate all the way through the turn.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

Not so much braking late, but more a super-late apex, making the angle of rotation much more noticeable--more like a right angle--and thus getting a straighter exit. So, from above, it would look like a straight entry, sharp turn, and a straight exit...thus "square". It is often used by heavier, higher-HP cars, as well as some front-drive cars.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
That seems to be the definition AFAIK. It allows you to get on the gas as soon as possible and accelerate all the way through the turn.
Typically you do that either to make up for a handling issue or in a attept to pass another car. When passing you often need to give up speed in certain places in order to an advantage where you use it to make a pass. If to cars battle into corner both naturally slower. If the first car takes traditional or defensive line on the way in, but slowly due to the challenge the car in back can attempt "square off" the corner in an attempt to get the power down sooner and this be in a better spot for the next passing zone.

I have done this many times PIR's turn 9. It is a slow 180 hairpin. Sometime you challenge on the way in, but the driver in front takes a very defensive line on the inside. So what I have done is to swing way out and really super super late apex the corner so I can get on the power sooner and to the next corner first. It works well if the defensive line caused the driver in front to overslow and they shoot a bit wide for their apex. Sometimes I have also done a "pass & repass move" using this as well. IE give up the entry to the hairpin to an overtaking car then really square off the corner trying to drag race them on the exit. Works very well if I can get the other car to slow greatly as from the reduced speed the little extra you can get on gas sooner and strong pays dividends. Most of the time the proper racing line is ultimatly faster, but racing is all about being in front.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:57 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's actually a motocross expression, but it applies. It means that you arrive at the corner and pitch the vehicle, hanging the tail out and then powering away. You actually make a much sharper turn at that point than the ideal line would require, but it allows you to either come in much deeper, or exit more inside, or both. We do it all the time in motocross, particularly because the ideal line is almost never available, it's usually too chewed up. Anytime you exit inside the ideal line, you've squared off to some extent.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:12 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The term "triangulate" is another synonomous term for squaring it off. You can carry more straight line speed deeper into the corner and reduce the realestate needed to cover. If you've been to Pocono.......it's an excellent illustration of the term.

Quick Reply: "Squared off corner"......