Received 254 Likes on 155 Posts

Not just for racecars anymore.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/busin...1858-7056r.htm
Old 08-01-2006, 05:46 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a load of sales BS flim-flam mumbo jumbo. Check your tire pressure now and again just like you will have to do so with a Nitrogen fill. I get pitched on Nitrogen extractors for the shops and the pitch is 100% make more $ per cust. visit and get them to come back for the "Free Nitrogen fills" This is just another shot at "While you are here" wallet extraction. Just check to see that the tire shop uses GOOD air dryer systems and keeps them serviced. I wonder how many people will drive on low pressure rather than fill with "bad" old air when they forget to come back for the good stuff.

BTW the higher the pressure the lower the rolling reistance so a hot overpressured tire will give better MPG. Tire will wear in the middle and traction/handling will suffer.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:23 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With just the remote reservoirs, your med tank will last forever. Once you start using airtools even a little, you will be go through nitrogen REAL fast. Also filling tires will use a LOT of nitrogen. A medium tank is good for the shocks, and an airjack setup (airjacks take almost around 400 PSI so take this into account if you get a regulator. Make sure it goes up to 500 PSI). Anything else and you will be out of gas... I used a medium tank at the tracks and went to a Snapon electric gun for the lugs / centerlocks. No hose to deal with, and I can take them off anywhere around the trailer...
Old 08-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool article you pointed out there Mark, I found another one listed on a forum somewhere about a week ago, similar to that one whereas a guy was moving and wanted to know local stations that could maintain his Nitrogen fill...interesting.

Yeah, Viperbob et al, it seems it would serve me best to use the medium-sized tank and not use airtools (not planned anyway, unless for emergencies) A friend of mine helped me do a Nitrogen/Air exchange in my wheels this weekend because I wanted to see the difference. My pressures were lower than normal when I came in, started out a few lbs higher for cold pressures and NAILED the 36psi (or ballpark) that the new Hoosier R6s are said to work well on.

I also topped off my shocks, it had been two events since I checked them, and while they were even for pressures, the pressures were about 30psi low, all the way around.

I checked out his setup, how the bottle was secured to the trailer and his regulator setup - pretty simple from what I could see. I had NEVER considered or even cared about a Nitrogen setup until I was FAR from home, at a PCA race in IOWA and found one of my shocks to have VERY low pressure - a fellow racer invited me over to use his setup...and it transformed the car as I had a good 4 sessions worth of practice in that weekend before topping off the shocks - what a difference it made!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 155 Posts

" What a load of sales BS flim-flam mumbo jumbo"

Hey I'm not a nitrogen salesman, just pointing out the story I found when getting my daily fix of DC area news from the Washington Post and Washington Times online.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:29 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As mentioned previously, the use of a dry gas (nitrogen) has a benefit to TPMS modules, as heat/humidity induced failures, when filling with hot/humid compressed air, is a concern regarding long term TPMS units in tire.

They will have a lower failure rate/return rate if a dry gas is used; they are not designed for a high degree of moisture immunity, as hermetic design is expensive.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen: the FULL Story?