Grand-Am car for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grand-Am car for sale

I found a grand-am GT3 car for sale at a good price, should I stay away from it, it has some hours on it plus it has all the modifications which puts it in a different class for anyone who wants to do club racing? The leakdown test is good on the car. What do the experts here think. I just hate beating up my street GT3 and turning it into what was a street car into what will never be a cup car. I also found a 2004 for 120k with very low hours, a friend tells me that the price is still high but will come down very soon after the IMSA guys get rid of the 996 cars in favor of the new 997s
Old 07-24-2006, 07:25 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 76 Posts

Who's grand-am car is it? Do you know what changes have been made? Grand-am lets you do quite a bit to the GT cars. It is not going to be a competetive car in PCA in the GTA class unfortunately. If just the minumum mod's have been done to make it legal for grand-am, it should be relatively easy to convert back to gtc3 spec.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

There are only about 10 996 GT3s left in IMSA GT3 not sure if that is enough to affect the market. The 996 GT3 could end up being the ultimate race car for the gentleman racer (ABS, easier to drive, cheaper to run and fix than 997 GT3). Nobody can predict the future (except Glen and he does it for a living!)
Old 07-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coryf
Who's grand-am car is it? Do you know what changes have been made? Grand-am lets you do quite a bit to the GT cars. It is not going to be a competetive car in PCA in the GTA class unfortunately. If just the minumum mod's have been done to make it legal for grand-am, it should be relatively easy to convert back to gtc3 spec.
Dennis Aasco has the car now, the car was number 26 with the new century decor on it. It has the usual amount of mods to it, exhaust, moton setup etc.

I was also looking at a kelly moss car - the blue and white one which he had at Utah.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm... If you can drive your GT3 to a very high level, then you may enjoy a Cup Car. Or... you may not. It would be a bummer to get rid of a highly capable and driveable car for a highly capable and unforgiving one. Unforgiving in terms of both driving and maintaining.

It takes a special person to drive a Cup Car well enough to truly enjoy it. It's annoying getting stuck behind the ones who can't.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

I just hate beating on such a new street car. Am I capable... to be honest, not yet. I have a feeling that I'd have atleast one 914 would whiz around me for fun

I thought about buying an older 964 RS/cupcar or a 993 supercup, I truly miss driving my old 964 and had a lot of fun in it.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:00 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm....

You just answered your own question, Beaner. You previously HAD the right car. You won't learn anything from a Cuppy but how to sweat, work, and spend your butt off. If you really want to get better as a driver, you're going the wrong direction!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr. Bean had a very nice 964, sole it to another of our friends who drives the wheels off of it and has a ball....unfortunately, Mr. B has to watch it happen regularly.

I would say "good plan, but a bit early to implement it". Now, how much did you want for your GT3??????
Old 07-24-2006, 10:21 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Dennis Aasco has the car now, the car was number 26 with the new century decor on it. It has the usual amount of mods to it, exhaust, moton setup etc.

I was also looking at a kelly moss car - the blue and white one which he had at Utah.
You mean this one?

Chris.

Last edited by cdodkin; 07-24-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

yes thats the one.... ummm porsche ****. I guess the question is how much would it cost to return it back to stock -- I'm guessing I could sell off the motons, wing etc. Would the car need to go back to using centerlocks to be classed in GTC-3
Old 07-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Mr. Bean had a very nice 964, sole it to another of our friends who drives the wheels off of it and has a ball....unfortunately, Mr. B has to watch it happen regularly.

I would say "good plan, but a bit early to implement it". Now, how much did you want for your GT3??????
Bull the car is yours for 80K and I'll leave on the RS control arms and Jon groom custom bits and bobs, plus I'll throw in a free air freshener - lemon or apple?

I wish I could drive as well as my ex-boss, he's busy getting ready for the club race at Mosport by doing low 2s at Watkins Glen in his new cup car. I guess I have car and driver envy. Goes to show what a good driver coach like Spenser *** can do.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:48 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
yes thats the one.... ummm porsche ****.
I can print you a centerfold if you need one...

Chris.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdodkin
I can print you a centerfold if you need one...

Chris.

Might take you up on it.

Love this photo by the way, it's like the car is waving at you!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

That's the bend at the end of start-finish at Knockhill, Scotland.

Cars flip to two wheels as they drop over the tight right handed crest, before coming downhill.

It's always a good viewing point, and there's always an unwritten competition between drivers as to how far over they can go without flipping!

Rain stopped play on this day - otherwise I think we'd have had one on it's roof.

Chris.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:43 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

what are the specs on your GT3 ? Are you an NNJR member ? Thanks Andy

Quick Reply: Grand-Am car for sale