Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What street-legal car to get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006 | 04:09 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I only suggested the (Andial) US Carrera Cup since street legal was a requirement.
Not sure a Euro Cup could go more than a mile or two before being pulled over...especially if dressed in full livery.
Oh, sorry, I skipped over that requirement. Who wants a street legal track car? Compromise sucks. (I'm using that emoticon a lot in this thread... )
Old 07-22-2006 | 04:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Charlie,
Didn't you track the 94 3.6 turbo?
Old 07-22-2006 | 04:35 PM
JayP
Pro

I'll probably get thrown under the bus- but since you don't have alot of experience at DEs, maybe try looking for a 944 that's been used as an autox car. Starting at around $6k, wadding one up won't make you cry too much.

I've studied the 911s and found (1) they're not forgiving to drive. (2) Properly sorted cars are worth a FORTUNE. Good late 80's models in my area go for $20k in street trim.

Advantages of a 944... very well balanced cars, not too hard to maintain, can be made really fast in the cheap. Buy one, DE it for a few seasons and look for a 911 in the meantime and check out the rules for sanctioning bodies in your area. Sell the 944 for about what you paid when you're done.

(Not a paid advertisement)
Old 07-22-2006 | 04:38 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Charlie,
Didn't you track the 94 3.6 turbo?
I tracked every car in my signature. I'm being somewhat tongue-in-cheek with my comment re: street legal. Hopefully that was obvious. Realistically, though, the 3.2 914, Boxster, and Turbo were all unpleasant street cars when in full-on track mode. I trailered them to events.

Now with my 2nd opportunity to own a Porsche factory race car, I feel that going any other route just isn't as satisfying or, in some ways, economical.

I do think compromise cars suck. I can't drive a street car at full tilt on a race track without destroying tires (r compound or street). If you set up the car properly for track, then it becomes a pita to drive on the street (or unsafe with rollcage, etc).
Old 07-22-2006 | 05:45 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

buy a race car. buy a pick up for your daily driver and tow vehicle. you will get frustrated quickly with compomise.
Old 07-22-2006 | 08:43 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Car Cost: $125K
Car Upgrades: $15K
Having the ultimate "dual purpose" car: PRICE LESS

If you only want to DE, and run with the big dogs in a street car, this is the ultimate "dual purpose" car. You can take it out on a date, with the A/C, the heated seats, the rain sensing wipers. Then just change out the brake pads, and go to the track (with street tires) and be faster than almost any other car on the track!
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2006 | 10:06 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Timbo]PS, here's some candidates that catch my eye at the moment:
'83 930, love the paint
http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval

Timbo,
I've heard some positive comments about this car (other than 38D's) ... basically that it's well put together mechanically. Have seen the car and it's a bit challenged cosmetically ... which isn't real surprising.

Don't know the other two .... but the one in California sure is pretty. Surprised it has "stock" brakes .... given the motor's probable HP and the car's light weight.
Old 07-22-2006 | 10:36 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RXDOC

If you only want to DE, and run with the big dogs in a street car, this is the ultimate "dual purpose" car. You can take it out on a date, with the A/C, the heated seats, the rain sensing wipers. Then just change out the brake pads, and go to the track (with street tires) and be faster than almost any other car on the track!
What kind of times do you run in that car at Road Atlanta? I can't imagine that tires last very long on the stock suspension.
Old 07-22-2006 | 10:53 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Alan C knows of what he speaks

Originally Posted by Alan C.
A 95 - 96 993 prepared to the limits makes a good car. Can't stick with the turbos on the straights but you can make up for it under braking and through the corners.
Alan - does this look familiar (look left)?
Wish I could drive it as fast you did! Still, this car is a ton of fun.
Old 07-23-2006 | 08:21 AM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
What kind of times do you run in that car at Road Atlanta? I can't imagine that tires last very long on the stock suspension.

Factory Suspension: POS, worthless.
PSS9's w/GT3 bar: the best upgrade I have done!!

The back tires last 4-5K miles (street & track use), the fronts 15K.
Not having to buy tow vehicle/trailer (and the wrath of the wife) PRICELESS!

I don't usually time myself, the last time I had an in-car timer was March 2005, running with NASA TT. My best lap was 1:44. I have more than 10 weekends on RA since then and "think" I am a little faster now!
Old 07-23-2006 | 02:51 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RXDOC

1:44 would put you in the hunt with E class cars, but there running half the HP.
Old 07-23-2006 | 03:13 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Rick,

Keep pushing you'll get there.
Old 07-23-2006 | 09:52 PM
Timbo
6th Gear

Thank you everyone for the input. I'm not really much closer to deciding, but great to hear the discussion. The two 930s I listed have both done well in Class D, and are at least close to street legal. I love the look and "idea" of that lightweight '77 but don't know a thing about it, and it is in CA so a purchase would be sight-unseen. I'll keep looking and researching and checking back on this board. Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2006 | 10:56 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Timbo
I just looked at the other 930 ad. This is Chris Castagna's C car. It has been raced for years and is well developed.

Quick Reply: What street-legal car to get?