Rookie DE question about tire slide

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Thanks all.
Gary, I am talking about sliding going into the corner not out. I take it from what people are saying that this is something to be concerned about . BTW, are you going to NHIS next weekend? Is your wife hooked on this crack as well? She seemed like she had a pretty good time last week at LRP.
Sean
I can only guess but it sounds like you are not getting back on the gas quickly enough and are keeping the rear unloaded going into the turns. You need to balance the car with throttle. It's hard to armchair QB this, but as soon as I am off brake I am on throttle, how hard depends on where I want the car to go. If the rear is coming out while unloaded. then try loading it (right foot down)...

Yes, she had a great time and is already signed up for CVR in August.. so much for my garage queen 964!
Old 07-14-2006, 08:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a big difference between controlled gentle drifts while cornering vs sliding around all over the place. Sliding around all over the place is bad. Gently drifing the car into and out of each corner uses all of the tire's grip, but does not exceed it. Most tires grip best with some slip angle. This is my version of sliding around.

Simple fact is most DE folks never approach any level of slip angle in their driving except for when vastly exceed it and go off.

I consider a person ready for r-tires when they can generate and maintain controlled slip angles in most every corner on every lap.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four driving schools and then I DE'd monthly for two years before switching to R. I was definitely ready! FOUR seconds faster! I was in heaven. I ran all year that way and then decided that there was more to be had (out of me and out of the car) with street tires. I went back to street tires for the next two years and improved to the point of beating my times with the Rs.

To reiterate what others are suggesting, stay on street tires as long as your will power permits. It is a great temptation to go to R compound but the street tires will help you learn better and faster.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

I went to a track event (DE) last year with a wide variety of cars. I had my very stock NA 944 and was talking to a friend who came with me. He has a yellow GT3, which always draws a crowd. A younger guy came over and IMMEDIATELY started listed the thousands of modifications that he made to his VW (R32?). He took a breath, looked at my car, and asked me how long I had been driving on the track. " 'bout 8 years" I said. "lots of mods?" "No," I said "Just safety stuff". He was puzzled... "What kinda tires?" "Yokohamas, I think..and the car is still faster than I am!" I tell you this because I believe in what everyone else here said. I am a strong believer in learning on good, crappy tires...the one's that screech and holler at you when they laterally accelerate. My "tire budget" went to track time and instruction. Know that you asked a good question and that you are right on track.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:24 AM
sww914
Instructor

Really sticky tires can also overwhelm the suspension. I'd say that you will be faster and safer on good street tires, if your suspension is all stock. If your traction is greater than your springs and swaybars can handle, the car will bottom out and you'll have no suspension travel on the loaded side of the car in corners. So a little bump in the corner will cause you to loose traction because your suspension can't articulate and absorb the bump, so it will just push the car up and you'll have less or no traction after the bump that doesn't seem to be bothering anyone else.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:25 AM
sww914
Instructor

Yay! I finally reached 100 posts.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

This is great stuff. I appreciate all the feedback.

What about the sliding? There have been a couple of different points of view on this. Is this a good thing? If not, is it technique related not tire related? Some have suggested that I might be late getting back on the throttle. If I understand the PCA model correctly, I should have neutral throttle until I've turned in and know I can make the apex. Is this incorrect? Should I be on the throttle as I'm turning in (i.e., not neutral throttle).

Sean
Old 07-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Sean - Next DE (CVR in August?) grab someone like Dan Jacobs and ask him to take a couple laps with you. He will tell you what you need to do differently (if anything) and/or what you need to do to your car. While PCA instructors in general are very knowledgeable about handling/setup Dan knows early 911's as well as anyone you will ever find..

Joe P. is spot on. You WANT between 5% - 10% of Slip Angle but what I got from your post is that the car is sliding around a lot which may or may not be controlled better by modifying your drinving technique. Watch my car at LRP in BB and the Esses next time. It's squeeling pretty good from 1/2 way through Big Bend until I enter No-name, and that is on Hoosiers in a stiff car... I think I am at 6.375% Slip Angle through there...
Old 07-15-2006, 11:49 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

You seem to be describing oversteer at corner entry. You are right in that this can be countered by the appropriae amount of throttle application. This is not the only answer as you have to look at your car set up and your technique through the corners that bother you. Where and when you transition from braking to throttle depends on the what your car is doing and the lay of the corner that you are negotiating. On some corners, you can be full throttle immediately after turn in. There are many variations.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Now that's TWO guys with BEAUTIFUL yellow 78SC's telling you!

Eric, still trying to figure out how you reach those pedals.. short shifter has a new meaning to me! And I didn't know you could get a Nomex hoody!

Quick Reply: Rookie DE question about tire slide