TD in DC Meets Mr. Tirewall at WG T10; Antithesis of Kingleh

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:15 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting that.

The only thing I can add is that it's amazing how slowly time goes by watching a video vs. actually driving. Time flies when you're at the helm! Hope the car turns out fine- nice move having the presence of mind to get off track quickly too.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:15 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early is the most common thing we do "wrong".

One weekend I had a student that was early for everything and more so than normal. I made up a card that said "Too Early!" on one side and "Pit" on the other and held in my left hand . (He would even show up in front of my paddock spot 20 min before first call) Slow and safe but early all the time to the point i got tired of saying "early" and also saw it loosing effect on him. Showed him the card front and back and told him he sees the front 3 times then the back. Pulled in only once but talked real slow while stopped...
Old 07-13-2006, 03:18 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimculp
Thanks for posting that.

The only thing I can add is that it's amazing how slowly time goes by watching a video vs. actually driving. Time flies when you're at the helm! Hope the car turns out fine- nice move having the presence of mind to get off track quickly too.
That is soo true. Armchair quarterbacking, even by myself, is just way too easy from a desk. This incident was over nearly as soon as it started. One slide led to a judgment error on my part, which in turn led to another type of slide that was worse than the first. Frying pan into the fire if I have ever seen it.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I would never have experimented like that with someone in the passenger seat. I think I have yet to scare anyone who has ridden with me, with the exception, perhaps, of Dirk D., which I did on purpose
Funny story pertaining to the above. When I was in white in my 914, I was working up to taking the downhill at Lime Rock flatout. I had it down to just breathing off the throttle, and knew that I could do it, but needed a security blanket, like a little extra weight on the right side of the car. So with an instructor and friend, Bob Carrington in the right seat, I took a couple of warm up laps and then full-bored the downhill! He was amazed and asked me how long I had been running flatout there. I told him that was the first time. He asked "this weekend, today, or this session"? I told him "EVER"! "You SOB" was about the nicest thing that he had to say about then. Good thing that he was a good friend.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

TD,
Very sorry to hear about your 'off' and glad that you are OK.
One quick question (as I could not determine by watching the video):
Were you wearing a H&N restraint?
Old 07-14-2006, 12:32 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

ltc . . . yes, I was wearing my ISAAC. Now that I think about it, the only portion of time that I do not remember in very crisp and slow motion technicolor is between the moment of impact with the wall, at which point I was basically facing backwards, to the time that I found myself rebounded out to the middle of the track facing in the correct direction. The energy with which the wall bounced me out all the way to mid track was truly amazing . . .

That said, I didn't have a bruise, sore spot or any stiffness. I get injured more carrying my twins around. Kids seem to have a paranormal ability to kick nuts with amazing accuracy.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:30 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Kids seem to have a paranormal ability to kick nuts with amazing accuracy.
as well as head butt them, stage dive you and bulls eye them while you are on the floor or throw something ramdomly and nail you. it is genitic survival. You are more likely to spend more effort on each of few than one of many. "I am here now shut the door".

OK, back to disecting your off.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:09 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

OK all of you car setup gurus. John Luetjen just made a very interesting observation about my car on Pelican. I am not sure whether I agree or not, but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter. Here is the post and my response: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...0&pagenumber=2
Old 07-14-2006, 11:10 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I think that there may be two issues going on here that I don't understand completely, which is why I am asking rather than telling.

First, I can accept that I was early. I am not sure that I agree that I was way way early, but that may depend upon someone's sense of how much counts as "way" early. The closer you get to the limit, the less you need to be off to have a problem. It doesn't bother me to hear that I was early. I was experimenting, and I learned a tough lesson from my experiment. At least I am learning something. I still cringe when I hear that it was way, way too early. How early is too early? If I make it through a turn with a line that is earlier than everyone else, then was I too early? I promise you that during the last run on the previous day, I was taking that turn flat out, and my line was not too much later than the fatal one (although it was a little later). My car felt great, and I went through the corner extremely quickly. Could it be that I was too early there even though I was fast and made it through without any sliding? If not, then I can't see how this time was way, way too early. Early? Yes. Way, way early? Maybe, but tough to hear. (I am listening though).

Second, I think that people may be using the term "pinch" differently than I understand it, or that I understand the term differently than others are using it. For example, there are different ways to muff a turn. The most traditional way, I would think, would be too turn in too early, apex too early, realize that you are going to run out of track at track out, think to yourself "oh crap, I am going to wreck" and then consciously, or even subconsciously, increase your steering input to avoid that result, which will cause you to spin. I have always understood that to be "pinching" the turn. I assure you that I did NOT do this. I was never worried about track out. I placed the car where I wanted to place it, so I did not "perceive" my placement as a mistake, and I never made it close enough to track out to even start to worry about running out of track. As Colin accurately observed, I started to rotate well before I even got close to the track edge. My error was in failing to open the wheel soon enough (as opposed to closing it more out of fear). When I went into the four wheel NEUTRAL drift right at the apex, my thought to myself was "careful, careful, do not upset the car with any abrupt changes here . . . you steering input will help you scrub off speed and you will hook back up again with a little less speed." In other words, I conciously made no changes (see the two pictures I attached where you see that I simply didn't change my steering input that I had to enter the turn during the slide). Obviously this was a mistake, but it was not a mistake borne of fear. It was misjudgment borne out of lack of experience in dealing with very high speed skids/spins (I am fine with low and medium speed). When the rear did start to come around, I immediately opened the wheel. You can tell on my video exactly where the rear started rotating by the moment I opened the wheel. It was simply too late. If you guys mean that I "pinched" the turn by failing to open the wheel sufficiently and early enough, I agree 100%. If you mean that I "pinched" the turn by increasing my steering input out of fear that I would run out of track, I disagree. That is not what happened.

In any event, I am listening to everyone's comments and I seriously appreciate the feedback and encouragement. Thanks Jim, Kurt, Colin, Larry, Skip, John, and Gary.

One thing I was thinking about is that I have had several other instructors wanting to ride with me over the last few events since I got promoted to black. They have been very gracious and complimentary. I wonder if I am still going to have a line for my passenger seat now that I have posted this video!!!!

BTW, the second picture was snapped the moment before I felt the rear come around and I opened the wheel in response to the rotation. You can see that my rear wheels are just about to exit the concrete patch, which I think was a big contributor to the change from a neutral drift to a rotation.

When I look at the two pictures, I see more steering input in the second in car camera. Maybe that's where your problem began...
Old 07-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Todd,
Didn't read all the posts but did anyone mention your hand position? I think your hands are too close to 10 and 2, and that limits your ability to dial in corrections without shuffle steering. Watch Leh's video and compare to yours.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:13 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by mitch236
When I look at the two pictures, I see more steering input in the second in car camera. Maybe that's where your problem began...
I think what you see is where the front end broke loose and I "fell" into very slightly more input for a fraction of a second. Remember that the screenshots are misleading.

I definitely pinched the steering (i.e., failed to open the wheel). This was most definitely a major factor in what happened. I honestly do not think that I increased the input (the wheel bounces around a fair bit anyway).
Old 07-14-2006, 11:13 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

When I look at these pictures I notice more steering input in the second incar picture. Maybe that's where your problem occured...

Last edited by mitch236; 12-27-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:14 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Sorry, didn't notice your reply
Old 07-14-2006, 11:15 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by mitch236
Sorry, didn't notice your reply
The truth probably lies somewhere in between!
Old 07-14-2006, 11:31 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Colin. In my opinion (and that of others far more epxerienced than I) Todd DID indeed turn far too early, and therefore apexed far too early. I am speaking specifically about the turn in portion, and I did not want that point to be mitigated by this statement.

Turning in is something rather seperate from what was done after the apex. The turn was thrown away BEFORE the apex. It was not salvaged after it (and salvation may not have been possible in that case). These are two different areas for discussion.
Yes he was earlier than the DE line, but it was not too early at all. Here's some shots of the exact same point on the track. First shot is TD's crash lap. The second is another random lap when he was fine, and the last is a shot of my line.

Now, in shot 1, TD is clearly earlier and tighter than in shot 2. But if you look at my apex point, I am actually earlier than TD (notice how the center of my shot points over the stands, vs. in shot one TD is left of the stands). But I didnt crash, so this apex must be ok. So the notion that the turn was thrown away before the apex is just not correct.

So, where did it go wrong? On the way to trackout. Here's the same sequence, but past the apex.

If you look at shots 1 and 2, the main difference is that TD is wider, becasue he apex earlier (but not too early) and carried more speed. But if you look at my line it is total different. In both TD shots, he is pointed nearly straight down to turn 11, whereas I am point into the dirt/tire wall. The difference is that I have unwound the whel and am going to use all the track. This is the spot where TD needed to be tracking out, yet did not. The one other difference, is that I took a "longer" apex and am exiting inside of TD's line, maybe by 2 feet.

So TD entered fine, but needed to track out way more.

Quick Reply: TD in DC Meets Mr. Tirewall at WG T10; Antithesis of Kingleh