Driver debriefing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Driver debriefing

Anyone here work the other side of the window net? A friend wants me to help him out at a test day and a race in the near future. He doesn't have any data acquisition equipment.
Is there a pre defined set of questions I should be asking after each session? I'm pretty familiar with the standard maintenance things to do between sessions, but what about tuning the setup of the car?
By the way if anyone is running the ALMS weekend at Road America I'd love to come over and help out, or just watch your process if you don't need any help. Especially test day.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kurt, its a good idea to set the chassis up in a known 'wrong' configuration, send the driver out and then listen to his complaints when he comes back in. Based on his answers, you will know whether he is able to understand and communicate what is right and what is wrong with the car.
Until you have assessed the driver's technical knowledge and ability to communicate what he feels in ways an engineer can understand, its pointless asking questions, some of which he may not understand.
The Audi factory drivers are usually told 'nothing', its a game for them to come back and tell the engineers what they have done. At a lesser level, in rhe Supercup, for example, the ability to communicate set up information is vital, particularly as this all the teams can really do to the cars (legally anyway).
If the driver doesnt notice that you have overtightened the reatr ARB to the point where it stuffs the handling, there isnt really much point in doing more than wiping the windscreen

R+C
Old 06-29-2006, 11:40 PM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Kurt:

If you plan to spend some time on the "other side of the window net", may I suggest reading a couple of Carroll Smith's books, starting with Tune to Win. There is a chapter (Understeer, Oversteer, Stability and Response) that might answer your starting questions.
There is a series (all are very good for starting your learning curve) for further reading enjoyment.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I completely forgot about the Carroll Smith books. I think I still have them somewhere, along with the repair manuals for cars and trucks I no longer own.

Quick Reply: Driver debriefing