Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adj. Endlinks creating some oversteer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:22 PM
mein51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adj. Endlinks creating some oversteer?

I recently installed some rear adjustable swaybar endlinks in my 944. I tried making them as close to the same length as possible upon installation. On hard braking my car oversteers (slightly) to driver's left. My intuition tells me that I need to tighten the passenger's side link. Does this seem right? Just trying to eliminate some trial and error Thanks!
Old 06-29-2006, 01:10 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jake,
It may be a pre-load problem. The rear sway should not be a player in a straight-line braking situation. You are saying the the rear steps out to the left under braking in a straight line, right?

The drop links should be equal length IF your ride height is exactly equal both sides. With a street car, or any car that does not have a nicely setup rear suspension, chances are that your ride height is not equal both sides.

Try this. Unbolt the lower end of both links. With the car on level ground, [important that it is level] adjust each side until the eye lines up nicely, then bolt it up. You can do one side at a time, of course. This will give you zero pre-load, which means the sway is not acting when the car is level.

If you really want to get religion, do this with your weight in ballast [I've used everything from barbell weights to bags of cement] in the driver's seat.

Go test it, and come back and tell us how nice and straight it brakes.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:43 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

So...

You're saying it did not do this before, eh? I find it really hard to believe a sway bar could do that, on a "street car", but... I mean, I'd think it had to be preloaded by a MILE to accomplish that. To reduce the braking ability of one wheel significantly?

Then again, if it is the only change, and it didn't do that before... I'll be interested to hear the result of your tuning.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:28 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Agreed, this shouldn't be a problem, but if you didn't set them correctly for zero pre-load, you could be back to square one. Just like Tony says, they should be set with the car on the (reasonably level) ground. I have to admit I found inadvertently that they're much easier to set on my trailer than on the ground, with 5" of clearance to the rockers!!

I have the KLA ones, I presume that's what you have?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:40 PM
mein51
Racer

The only other thing I've done is take out all of the carpet and sound deadening material. Maybe I'll put the stock setup back on to see if its the weight issue. From what I've read, this may be the culprit. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:10 AM
mein51
Racer

I thought I'd give a follow up on my oversteer problem under braking. My driveway is farily level, so I back out of my garage with the rear end over a trough just enough to slide underneath to adjust the links. Originally I installed them with the car on stands. With the car on the ground, the drivers side link was slightly longer than the passenger's side. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seemed to fix the problem. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:17 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mein51
Maybe I'm crazy, but it seemed to fix the problem. Thanks for the help!
I think that was it...
Old 06-30-2006, 01:08 PM
onasled
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
I think that was it...
For sure that was it. Not sure why some felt that a preloaded swaybar doesn't effect braking, because it does. It's one of the first signs that there is a preload problem.
Great that you found the problem ..
Old 06-30-2006, 02:01 PM
mein51
Racer

Originally Posted by onasled
For sure that was it. Not sure why some felt that a preloaded swaybar doesn't effect braking, because it does. It's one of the first signs that there is a preload problem.
Great that you found the problem ..
I'm pretty glad that I figgured it out too! Its not noticeable for the street and the only reason I figgured it out was breaking in new pads. Glad I didn't make it to the track
...and who said theres something wrong with a little bit of crazy?
Old 07-03-2006, 06:07 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Glad you asked the question here. That could have made your track weekend very expensive!

Quick Reply: Adj. Endlinks creating some oversteer?