Sponsored by:

Wevo for 915?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:46 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wevo for 915?

I did a search but didn't get much info...how many people running a 915 tranny believe the Wevo shifter is an important mod. Is it essential? Do most people run it or not?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have driven both before and after 915s WEVOs, and I believe it is money well spent if you are really driving the car with quickness in mind.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:02 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The WEVO shifter, PSJ, and gate shift are not needed on a car used primarily on the street. A race car is another matter. I found that the stock 915 was so vague that I dangerously missed gears all to often exiting corners. It didn't result in any blown motors, but I got close! I didn't mind the long throws because they don't really affect how quickly you can shift a 915. The 915 simply was not designed to be quick shifted so a short shifter will not make your 915 feel like a modern transmission. That said, I have upgraded my car with the WEVO shifter and gate shift. I kept the stock shift coupler but changed the bushings. This has dramatically improved my confidence in the shifter. You know which gear you are in and when you get into gear. You have to be careful with the timing of your shift as the shorter throws tempts you to rush the shift and the 915 doesn't like this. Additionally, I added the WEVO transmission and motor mounts to cure a problem that cropped up do to excessive movement of the transmission and engine. Under hard braking, I transmission/engine would shift forward. So as I tried to shift from 5th to 4th or 3rd to 2nd gear, I could not feel the transmission go into gear. The shift lever would not go through the normal range of motion. In the end, I was actually in gear as I learned when I let the clutch out! A different thing happened trying to pull the lever out of 3rd gear under full acceleration. I would stick and I had to use an uncomfortable amount of force to get it out of gear. This was all cured by going from the OEM Porsche sport mounts to the WEVO mounts. This change does transmit allot of engine vibration and noise into the cabin. I've got to wear ear plugs in my helmet now.

Hope this helps. The tranmission changes have improved my lap times and consistency. It's expensive but worth the money for a track car. It's not something needed for a street car as none of the issues I described occured when the car was driven on street (before it's conversion to a full time track car).
Old 06-28-2006, 11:32 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth every penny. One of the toughest decisions because of the cost. After after how much can it really help? Well, if mine disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money again.

I also considered it a $600 insurance policy on the engine rebuild I had done.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Mark...I have no first hand experience, but I spoke with a fella racing a PCA stock class SC at Watkins Glen club race earlier this month and he gave me some excellent info on the WEVO and the benefit like Bob W. and Eric described. He was a great fella to speak and incredibly helpful. I will PM you his E-mail address in the event you wish to contact him.

At the same race, his friend, who owns a mortorsports company and an experienced driver, missed a down shift in his own (actually his wife's) WEVOless SC, over rev'd, and caused engine damage.

Mike
Old 06-29-2006, 02:55 AM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WEVO shifter for a 915 .. big thumbs up... I have a racing buddy who also did all the WEVO strengthening mods to his 915..runs big power and it has been bullit proof !
Old 06-29-2006, 03:07 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

None of the Wevo parts will miraculously heal a transaxle that needs a rebuild. And there's nothing wrong with the stock system, if it's correctly adjusted and has fresh bushings.

That said, the Wevo pieces are great and make the experience of racing a 911 a lot more pleasant. I have the shifter, the coupler, and the internal gateshift -- and all of them are great. Wevo is a class act, all the way.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 171 Posts

A WEVO shifter/coupler is a great addition to a car that will be used on the track, recommend it 100%. For some reason my shop doesn't like the internal gateshift piece so I can't speak to that. If possible drive a car with one, you won't look back..
Old 06-29-2006, 09:54 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

I put the WEVO shifter in first - HUGE improvement. Makes the 915 almost feel like a modern gearbox. I would consider it essential on the track and a very nice to have on the street. Worth every penny.

I put the WEVO coupler in a while later. No real improvement for me. My stock coupler appeared to be in very good condition so I probably did not need to make this change.

Even later on, I started experiencing problems with 2nd gear when the car was under heavy load. I could not downshift from 3rd into 2nd until the car 'settled'. I replaced the tranny mounts with WEVOs and it cured the problem immediately. Stock parts were worn obviously, so I can't make a WEVO vs new stock comparison, but besides having clean shifts everything felt tighter. Engine and tranny noise increased, which in a track car, was a good thing. I felt closer to what was going on mechanically. Another improvement that I would recommend for a track car.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:57 AM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Thanks to all. I am just getting into racing, and just bought an 82 SC G class. I am in the midst of sorting it out with my tech team, and most of the G's on this team don't use it?!! But I have read so many positive comments on the Wevo shifter on this board, I felt it might be an important upgrade. I will keep you posted as to how it all shakes out.

PS - just returned from the Skip Barber course at Road America...well worth the money for anyone contemplating getting into racing.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:40 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark, my engine and transmission had been rebuildt before I put the WEVO parts on the car. The engine and transmission mounts were new OEM sport mounts. The WEVO pieces are a work of art and give me confidence in my shifting. Does the class rules allow for a LSD? I put a Guard LSD in the transmission during the rebuild and I am very happy how it settles the rear end under braking.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

The tranny has been recently rebuilt and has an LSD in it. I am tracking the car for the first time in the next few weeks and will get a better idea about the 915 at that time. Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:24 AM
sww914
Instructor

Sorry to hijack the thread, Eric, do you know if the Guard LSD available for a 901, and is it any less expensive that a Quaife?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:34 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

I honestly don't know.

You can ask Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems. He supplied me with by Guard. Steve regeared it to match my car and the tracks I drive.

http://rennsportsystems.com/

http://guardtransmission.com/

Quick Reply: Wevo for 915?