Sponsored by:

Toyo 911 cup

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:50 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Toyo 911 cup

is there any better website for the toyo 911cup spec series than http://www.911cup.com? It appears old, and the links are bad. Specifically, I am interested in seeing the spec for the cars, schedule and stuff.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:58 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

http://addictionmotorsports.com/

Click on the "Toyo Cup Stuff" on the upper right. There is a Toyo Cup car for sale on their discussion board. The car is supposedly ready for racing and has a Jerry Woods motor.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:00 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.porscheracingclub.com/php...opic.php?t=725

Call Wayne.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:10 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Based on your hint, I got into the PRC forums. This thread seems to be the best source of info on the Series. Sorry to say, but both PRC and 911Cup websites are way out of date, with many broken links.

Here is the best link I could find:
http://www.porscheracingclub.com/php...wforum.php?f=4

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Old 06-20-2006, 08:16 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's a great series. I know some of the folks and they are some of the nicest racers out there. I'd try to buy a spec car instead of modifying a street car. Check out their lap times. They are pretty fast and the top guys are insanely fast.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

You should post your questions on the Pelican Parts racing forum, there are a couple of Toyo Cup guys there who post their race videos from time to time.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenny: While the Toyo Cup guys (and most PRC folk) are active at the track, they are not as active on the web as many DE folk. Ya, the web sites suck (broken and/or old). Don't hold it against them. The schedule is correct and works (from the PRC main page or from the NASA NorCal site).

I always wanted to do PRC races as they have more in NorCal events than any other race group. My problem was what to do with my car as it didn't fit into any PCA classes (other than very, very uncompetative in GT2). Luckily, when my engine blew up Rich at Jerry Woods told me about the new GTL class and I had my car built for it. What I've found is that they are a great group of guys (which I suspected because a bunch of them were my instructors when I got started) and it's great fun to race with them.

You thinking of racing with PRC?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:30 PM
kgorman
Drifting

thanks for all the info guys..

Tom,
I am not sure. I am probably not going to do any racing this year at least. But I am just trying to learn whats out there. Sounds like a 15k SC would be a fine car for this series. Thats pretty good. Not sure what consumables in a series like this would be, but it at least starts off realatively inexpensive.

Mainly I need to get more seat time. I am doing my best at that this year in the C4. We will see after that. I am having a blast for sure.

I spoke to Rich as well, he mentioned your setup. He is going to look at the C4 W.R.T oil leaks, and I want to be educated a bit when we have that discussion about my future plans.. RL is wonderful for this kind of research eh?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are willing to get out of a 911, the 944 spec series is starting to take off in Nor-Cal.

August 12,13 at Thunderhill will be their "kick off race"

Cars cost 8k to 13k complete ready to race. Opertaing costs are very reasonable too.

Here is a sample

More details on the 944 spec class can be found at http://944spec.com
Old 06-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kenny: I would trust Rich's judgement and advice. I do think it would probably be cheaper and easier to buy an already prepared Toyo Spec car than to turn your C4 into a GTL car, especially a competitive one. While my car is wonderful, the extra 400-500 lbs I have compared to others in the class is a bit of a penalty (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it as long as it's true - then I have to find a new one).

You will want to build seat time in sessions that have open passing and passing in turns to get ready to race. NCRC advanced group or NASA HPDE4 are both good ways to go (once you are ready for them). Once comfortable there, an ARC demo race at an NCRC event is a good start followed by a few ARC races (more mild mannered/less aggressive more friendly than other races groups IMO).
Old 06-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

All of the Toyo Cup cars that I've seen are worth a heck of a lot more than $15k, unless you mean $15k to buy the base car and then more $ to modify from there...
Old 08-01-2006, 03:51 AM
kgorman
Drifting

$15k base, yes.

Originally Posted by Cory M
All of the Toyo Cup cars that I've seen are worth a heck of a lot more than $15k, unless you mean $15k to buy the base car and then more $ to modify from there...
Old 08-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

So does this mean that you will be having a Toyo cup car built soon? You could always spend a fortune to turn your 964 into a GTL car like some nutcase I know. (I'm not convinced it's that much more to take the 964 to GTL than to buy an older 911 and turn it into a Toyo spec car.)
Old 08-01-2006, 02:18 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

These old cars can get very expensive. Turning a street car into a race has many hidden expenses that don't show up on the build sheet for the series. There has been some activity on the PRC web site with race cars coming up for sale. You can easily get the cars history and have it inspected at Jerry Woods to find out what needs or doesn't need to be done with it. As always, save a few thousand dollars for extraneous stuff that always brakes during the season. Good luck in your search.

Tom, I may join you some day. I've got to save some money! I only have a puney 3.0L motor and it's going to take a few pennies to get it competetive in GTL or GT3.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:29 PM
tchandler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just added up receipts the other day...btw don't ever do this!!
I'm into my Toyo cup 911 for just over $25,000. (labor and parts...not including my personal labor to strip the car. ) I would estimate average cost is between $25,000 and $30,000.
TC

Quick Reply: Toyo 911 cup