Sponsored by:

!st NASA race

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 11:13 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Richard:

You print out a dyno form from the nasa site and have the shop sign the sheet and a copy of the dyno sheet. Take this to the track with you. Be sure to read the rules. The belts are limited to 2 years for sfi or 5 years for fia. The safety net has a date limitation as well. The cage welds have to be 360 degrees...no partial welds. There are others things to look at as well but those were some of the main issues. I had to get belts at the last minute.

Mike
Old 06-18-2006, 11:19 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,

Belts and window net are brand new ('06). Cage welds are complete.

I will print out the dyno form for the shop.

Ciao.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:53 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
How recent a dyno reading is required? My car was dyno'd earlier this month. Should the car be dyno'd again, say a week before the Mosport race?
Guys:

Important to clarify that the dyno requirement is not a general NASA rule. The dyno requirement is a GTS Challenge rule. The dyno requirement does not apply to the 944 Cup races.

DD
Old 06-19-2006, 09:53 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

nasa is geat fun .nice group of people. nasa northeast is in the infancy stage,but I predict it will take off.they class cars based on power to weight ratio. 13/13 applies.and the part I like best is you must have your car dyno'ed .I did the glen race and had a great time.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roketman
nasa is geat fun . 13/13 applies.

The 13/13 rule is not a NASA rule. Only a few classes and one run group(Autobahn) in NASA employ the modified 13/13 in NASA. 944 Cup is one of the classes using the 13/13..
Old 06-19-2006, 10:35 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<snip> And I am mailing my NASA license application & annual fee tomorrow (based on my PCA license). As you suggest I will bring my PCA license and log book to Mosport. Yes, the car has a full welded-in Safety Devices cage. I understand that this is not a "NASA" event, but I ordered the 944 cup decals for the car anyway as I plan on entering the Lime Rock event in August - unsure about Pocono at this point.
Welcome to 944SuperCup, Richard. You should try to do five races in order to qualify for the NASA Nationals at Mid Ohio in September!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Mike

NIce to meet you at Beaver. I'll see you again at Mid-Ohio the weekend after the 4th.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:51 AM
John Brown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... Yes, the car has a full welded-in Safety Devices cage. ...
Some of the Safety Device cages do not comply with either SCCA or NASA rules in that the main hoop diagonal may run from the top of the main hoop over the drivers head thence to the base of the rear brace behind the passenger. SCCA & NASA require the diagonal to run in the same plane as the main hoop. Most of the time most NASA techs have allowed this to slide for the first weekend. But there is no guarantee. So if your SD cage is not in compliance you may want to get it modified. I had mine done for less than $200.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:03 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

oh yeah, I got nicked for my window net at the annual tech. They let me race but it was noted in my log book requiring updated net for the next race. Overall, I really like doing the NASA GTS races. Great bunch of guys and it's fun to run with other makes. At the Beaverun race, I did not think there was any car to car contact. I know there were at least two offs in GTS but neither was caused by contact. There are a lot of PCA and ex PCA guys running and they all have been very "polite" in giving room when necessary. I can't wait for the nationals.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:34 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

John,

It looks like a nice safe cage, but what the heck do I know? If it needs modification, I suppose I'd have to bite the bullet and get it done.

The window net is new (out of the box this past month) but sports an '04 manufacture date. I trust this won't be a problem.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:46 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roketman
nasa is geat fun .nice group of people. nasa northeast is in the infancy stage,but I predict it will take off.they class cars based on power to weight ratio. 13/13 applies.and the part I like best is you must have your car dyno'ed .I did the glen race and had a great time.
Hey Roket! What class was the cup placed in? You ran in the GTS Challenge right?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:12 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

DD,

I heard this afternoon that the Mosport race for 7/1 - 2, has been cancelled.

Please let me know if this is correct as I should cancel my hotel reservation.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:43 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

No the Mosport race has not been cancelled.

DD
Old 06-21-2006, 12:19 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Thanks, DD.

I have no idea where my friend obtained his information. I know he was planning on making the trip and we were going to caravan up north. He called late this afternoon and stated he was told that the 944 cup races were cancelled at Mosport.

I will call him in the morning and let him know this is incorrect and the 944 cup races at Mosport are still a go.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:20 AM
John Brown
Instructor

John,

It looks like a nice safe cage, but what the heck do I know? If it needs modification, I suppose I'd have to bite the bullet and get it done.

The window net is new (out of the box this past month) but sports an '04 manufacture date. I trust this won't be a problem.
Check the drawing in either SCCA or NASA GCR. Same picture. It's not about if the cage is 'safe' or not; has to be in compliance with the spec.

Quick Reply: !st NASA race