Sponsored by:

Tips and lap times for Mosport

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:46 AM
DaMan-993TT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips and lap times for Mosport

I have an opertunitiy next week to do some time at Mosport up in Toronto Canada. I have an almost stock 993TT, what lap times should I expect and anyone have any tips or gotchas to watch for?

Thanks,
Old 06-05-2006, 12:08 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by DaMan-993TT
I have an opertunitiy next week to do some time at Mosport up in Toronto Canada. I have an almost stock 993TT, what lap times should I expect and anyone have any tips or gotchas to watch for?
The best D cars can run in the 1:34s, so I would guess that a mostly stock 993tt on DOT-Rs should be similar.

Mosport is the most challenging track I go to. It has some serious high speed stuff, and every apex is blind. Get ready to clentch hard for T2 & T4, cause they are the 2 most intimidating turns on the east coast. The whole place is lined with concrete walls, so it's not a track to be taking a lots of chances on.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:48 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As well as T2 and T4, pay attention to T1. It has claimed its fair share of victims. Take it late. Mosport is a fun and fast track, but doesn't take kindly to people that don't respect it. If it's your first time there, I wouldn't worry about your times.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Just adding to what is said above. The curb on the inside of T4 is about a foot high, stay away. Also, the hill going into T5 is very steep and one can do a tremendous amount of late braking there

Did a 3 day DE there last summer with NNJR. Was tip toeing around the first day, but let it rip the second two. What a great track. My favorite, even over LCMT, Glen, VIR, etc...
Old 06-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Above is all good advice. T2 is a leap of faith...litterally! If you get T4 right, you will be happy for the uphill braking zone for T5. All in all, a relatively unmolested FAST track that is always worth the trip. Hope to see many there with NNJR in July.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:05 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Above is all good advice. T2 is a leap of faith...litterally! If you get T4 right, you will be happy for the uphill braking zone for T5. All in all, a relatively unmolested FAST track that is always worth the trip. Hope to see many there with NNJR in July.
A small group of us Rennsporters will be heading down for the NNJR/UCR July event I can't wait. I haven't been there since 03. Looking forward to meeting some listers
Old 06-05-2006, 05:22 PM
DaMan-993TT
Advanced

Thanks for the tips gents, I don't expect to be a rocketship, but I would like to be in the ballpark. I have heard so many good things about it that I have to make the trip just to say I did.

I have watched a few videos from the PCA site and it does look fast and not overly technical. Many similarities to the Glen. It doesn't look scary as many of you have mentioned so I am curious where that comes from.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Drive 2 and 4 and get back to us on the scary part Great track, very challenging. Turn 8 is also great fun. The Canadians are great hosts.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:18 PM
brucegre
Banned

Yeah, don't worry about lap times - Mosport is so much fun that your first 1:40 will be just as exhilirating as the 1:36 two sessions later. A 1:34 would really surprise me in your car, but it might be attainable. I've only driven my Cup car there, and I can pull out a 1:29, so I would expect to be in the 1:34-1:36 range in my street GT3.

There are some very basic rules of survival at Mosport. Rule #1, if you go off the outside of T1, stay off, run parallel to the track, get the car under control and ease back onto the track. Rule #2, same rule for T2. Rule #3, T3. There are ten rules, and, you guessed it, 10 corners. Seriously, you get in more trouble trying to be a hero than just going for the ride along the outside of the track. You really, really want to respect T2 and T4, as it's next to impossible to stay out of the wall if you go off.

Take an instructor out for the first few sessions, it's very hard to figure out on your own, but simple once someone shows you. If it's wet, it's a perimeter rain line, and be very careful as you recross the dry line at exit. I walked the track in the rain, and in my sandals I can slide down the hills on the dry line. The grip on the rain line is phenomenal.

Good news for the TT, Mosport is very easy on brakes. Most of the corners are so fast, you just don't have to brake hard. 5a and 8 are the exceptions.

There's really good video on the UCR
(http://www.pcaucr.org/site/page.jsp?DriverEducation) web site, both the dry and wet lines with Rick Bye driving, have a look it's worth it.

Cheers,
Bruce
Old 06-05-2006, 06:27 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Thanks for the tips gents, I don't expect to be a rocketship, but I would like to be in the ballpark. I have heard so many good things about it that I have to make the trip just to say I did.

I have watched a few videos from the PCA site and it does look fast and not overly technical. Many similarities to the Glen. It doesn't look scary as many of you have mentioned so I am curious where that comes from.
It's really nothing like the Glen. There are many linked turns at Mosport, and half the time you can't even see the turn in point. It's like Mid Ohio on steriods.

Here's a couple of tips:

1) The entrance to T2 can be very fast...much faster than you think. However, it can bite you big time. Work up the speed slowly here. I get all the way to the left and use the little gulley.

2) For T4, don't setup all the way to the right. Instead you want to be more in the middle as you go under the bridge. This should be a tap and go, even in a 993tt.

3) Use the hill to help brake into T5a, and don't go too wide setting up for 5b. Use that ADW on the exit of 5b and use all the track out.

4) When you go up the back "striaght", you are gonna want to brake before the little rise at the end. It's hard to convince youself to continue flat out up, over, and deep into those brake markers. The really good PCA racers just do a tap, and then use the turn to scrub off speed. You want to be tight to the right by the candy cane to help make the turn shorter.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:21 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't look scary as many of you have mentioned so I am curious where that comes from.
This emoticon basically sums up Mosport:
Old 06-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Glad you liked my movie on the UCR site....but, if you think Mosport doesn't bite sometimes, you shoulda seen how it ended! The spin at the end of the back straight got edited out.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A little right of middle as you go under the bridge for T4, but deffinitely not all to the right, as 38DD said. If my old memory could conger up what the sign is on the bridge, I could remember the letter you want for reference. OK, I'm going to have to look at the pictures and video......
Old 06-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by brucegre

There are some very basic rules of survival at Mosport. Rule #1, if you go off the outside of T1, stay off, run parallel to the track, get the car under control and ease back onto the track. Rule #2, same rule for T2. Rule #3, T3. There are ten rules, and, you guessed it, 10 corners. Seriously, you get in more trouble trying to be a hero than just going for the ride along the outside of the track. You really, really want to respect T2 and T4, as it's next to impossible to stay out of the wall if you go off.

True words. Go off, stay off. Want to come back on, do it later. All of the cars that I have seen brought in and very crunched, tried to be a hero/save it. Others just had a very fast ride in the grass, then a long Chief Chat.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 PM
brucegre
Banned

The video can't convey the scary. The first time I went to Mosport, I stood outside T2 at the top, watched for a while and then turned to some guy in a driver's suit and asked why everyone apexed it so early. He just started to laugh. It looks like a perfect late apex sweeper, just stay out, be patient, and rocket it in to the second apex. As I said, it looks like that, but it ain't. If you want excitement, just miss the first apex by about a car width and you'll see the scary. Mosport really isn't that technical, the trick is that it demands perfection and absoutley extracts payment when you don't deliver.

You'll love it.

Quick Reply: Tips and lap times for Mosport