Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPSC vs. Hoosier- Lateral Gs data

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

George, you are correct, the difference is they changed from a square (flat) casing to a rounded one like the S03s had. This allows the tire to accomodate the heavy rear tire loading the 911's have without prematurely wearing the inside.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:11 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx jim,

i plan on "curing" the tires at the first session friday and will have a good 24 hours cool off before i'll go out on them again on sunday.

Originally Posted by JimB
Carlos,
Some have found that the R6s to be pretty slippery on their first heat cycle. You might want to run them for a session before your timetrial.
Jim
Old 06-14-2006, 02:28 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
George, you are correct, the difference is they changed from a square (flat) casing to a rounded one like the S03s had. This allows the tire to accomodate the heavy rear tire loading the 911's have without prematurely wearing the inside.
That makes it even more interesting for me. I would not have thought that just changing the casing (carcass) would have made that big of a difference. I thought most of the that came from the rubber compound (composition).

The Hoosier rep also told me that the main reason for the change was to improve the autocross tire performance. They are the ones that supposedly gained the most. He said the road race version got only a marginal performance/longevity boost over the 05's.

I guess I'm about to order a set to see for myself.

George
Old 06-14-2006, 03:40 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
possible explanation... the sprint race was run in damp cool conditions where the tires had a tough time gettng up to full temp, where as the enduro was dry and much warmer, therefore better grip.
I think it was actually warmer during the sprint than the enduro, though during the enduro it was at least sunny. My other D class competitors basically went about the same speed in the enduro as the sprint (0.3-0.5 seconds), whereas I dropped 1.8 seconds. I will say that the Hoosiers felt very fast. My guess is that I am not used to the feel, so I did not go as fast. With the MPSCs, I am very familar with the feel, so was willing to push the snot out of them. My only real point was that contrary to the myths out there, the MPSCs are plenty fast and can be run when it is not 80 out (it was maybe 60 degrees during group 2 enduro). And my lap times are out on mylaps, so anyone can verify there is no BS here. I did 6x2:10s and 8x2:11s in enduro, versus a best of 2:12.0 in the sprint.

Now I am planning to run my Hoosiers again at Mosport, where I hopefully can get some practice time on them (unlike at the Glen where the Sprint was the first time I had run them in the dry). My guess is that they will be a little faster, but that it will take me time to get used to them.

Quick Reply: MPSC vs. Hoosier- Lateral Gs data