Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster v. deer at Roebling Road DE last weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:21 PM
TonyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
PCA DE this past weekend at Road America, a Boxster S missed a deer between turn 5 & 6 by less than a foot. Do any other tracks have a "deer" flag? At RA they have a deer flag at start / finish to let drivers know deer have been spotted on / near the track.
I was there and saw a debris flag right after the kink, so I naturally slowed down. There was a 3ft wild turkey that had flown over the fence and was standing in the middle of the track. Fortunately the 3 cars in front of me had slowed down as well. After he got all of our attentiion he just flew over the fence on the other side of the track, as casual as could be.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At Summit Point with the NNJR region in April, a wild turkey did not quite get to the landing zone in time and hit squarely on the windshield of a 911 at the braking zone of turn 10. The windshield imploded but the driver was ok. It was interesting cresting
the hill and seeing a large object on the track and feathers everywhere.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
PCA DE this past weekend at Road America, a Boxster S missed a deer between turn 5 & 6 by less than a foot. Do any other tracks have a "deer" flag? At RA they have a deer flag at start / finish to let drivers know deer have been spotted on / near the track.

We use a deer flag at Tremblant. I have video of me barely missing one last summer, and we've had multiple strikes over the years. For those of you that drive at Tremblant, there is a deer path close to the entry of T7. They can get over the fence and onto the track pretty quick.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Nice GT-class 911 exploded a deer going into 3 at Blackhawk Farms a few years ago. Filled the headlight bucket with deer meat and gave the passenger quite a surprise. Critter flag is resident there as well.

If it's smaller than you, don't swerve to avoid it. If it's bigger 'n you (big deer?), then you gotta make some choices
Old 06-03-2006, 12:26 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
If it's bigger 'n you (big deer?), then you gotta make some choices
only one choice.....kill Bambi.....
Old 06-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Norm, how's the car?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:19 AM
volpenyc
Pro

Originally Posted by TonyN
I was there and saw a debris flag right after the kink, so I naturally slowed down. There was a 3ft wild turkey that had flown over the fence and was standing in the middle of the track. Fortunately the 3 cars in front of me had slowed down as well. After he got all of our attentiion he just flew over the fence on the other side of the track, as casual as could be.

Umm....yeah- I was the first car to see that turkey up close and personal...
Old 06-03-2006, 07:30 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

An instructor was hit in the head last weekend by a seagull at the NASA event at MMP. The bird bounced off the hood of the Cobra replicar and into the instructor's head, the car was probably going 90+ mph. The instructor was fine and glad to have had his visor down. O didn't hear about the fate of the bird, but if it was dead the Utah secret police might have come after him since the seagull is the Utah state bird.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:17 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I once caught a pheasant at Thunderhill.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

About ten years ago at a Car Guys school at Summit Point a deer tried to clear a Mustang Cobra. Almost. Haunches hit the passsenger side and came through the windshield; the deer was cut in half. There was so much blood that everyone thought the instructor had been killed. He was lucky: he had some facial fractures. I've driven with my visor down ever since. The passenger footwell was four inches deep in blood. The other half of the deer left so many pieces of red on the end of the front straight it looked like shattered tail-lights everywhere. Scary. Here in rural Alabama everyone knows someone who's hit a deer on a county road.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:47 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, what's the fee for wildlife to enter at the track? If were paying 200 to 300 an event, I think they should be charged more. I had a goose in full flight bounce off my windshield at VIR (100+mph) just before turn in for the uphill essess. Wings at full span covered the entire windshield and yes deposited a long streak of goose sh*t up the windshield. Driver behind me nearly took the emergency exit onto the Patriot course. Still made the apex and ran the wipers until the front straight. I was told the damn goose kept flying.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:19 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

So as of yet we do not have confirmation of a deer incident at Roebling with Chin last weekend??
Jack
Old 06-04-2006, 02:19 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

From the Chin Motorsports Forumtaken from it without permission, hope I don't get flamed).

Old 06-04-2006, 03:59 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Just spoke with driver's brother, also a participant. Incident occurred near the braking zone of turn 1. Driver is fine and is expected to make a complete recovery! : )

Jack
Old 06-04-2006, 05:55 PM
phils87951
Instructor

Like Stacy stated, CMT is probably one of the tracks with the highest Deer population. They are basically trapped bt the property's perimeter fence.

They are so used to hearing the cars that they sometimes feed 10 ft from the edge of the track and look lt you as if saying What??? . they especially come out if they just cut the grass, its like a buffet for them.
We use a conbination of white and yellow flags. The corner workers have whistles to try and scare them away.
You have to keep your eyes wide open for them.

Quick Reply: Boxster v. deer at Roebling Road DE last weekend?