Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok to put Hoosier RS304 rears with R6 Fronts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:59 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George A
Just some advice, if you are not racing, you do not need Hoosiers. Period. I would get something else, Toyo RA1's, MPSC, anything but Hoosiers. They just don't make sense for DE's.

George
Very true, I'm doing time trials so lap times do mean a lot to me. However I already have Dunlop SSR R-compound tires. I'm not sure 2 seconds is worth 1000 bucks right now.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:05 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
Very true, I'm doing time trials so lap times do mean a lot to me. However I already have Dunlop SSR R-compound tires. I'm not sure 2 seconds is worth 1000 bucks right now.
yeah, it's a bummer the DSSRs aren't available any more
Old 05-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just some advice, if you are not racing, you do not need Hoosiers. Period. I would get something else, Toyo RA1's, MPSC, anything but Hoosiers. They just don't make sense for DE's.

George
Depends on who you are running with and your goals. In the run group I run with, many of the cars (half a dozen Cup cars of various types, and a GT3RS or two) run on slicks, a bunch on Hoosiers, then the remainder on Dot Rs. Hoosiers only give you a half a chance of being "there".
Old 05-31-2006, 05:38 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Bull,

I really have this hatred of Hoosiers. I think they are too expensive for what you get. BUT, if you are racing, they are the unofficial PCA spec tire for the non GT classes. I could rant for hours about why I think they shouldn't even be considered a DOT R tire, but I won't. I like the MPSC for enduros, as I think they don't go away if pushed hard for over 30 minutes.

All that being said, I would never run a new set for a DE. I don't even know if they would make a whole weekend down here in the Texas heat. They just don't make sense unless you using the DE to setup your car and you want to run the tires you would be running in a race.

For DE's, I pretty much use anything that's black, round (hell, sometimes they aren't even round due to flat spots) and cheap. I usually get used slicks but am about to try a set of Toyo's. Hell, I'll even use normal street tires, it doesn't really bother me. Most of time, I'm just taking people for rides anyways. Actually, I can't remember the last DE session I did without a passenger.

So, you are right, it really depends on your goals. I guess I have no goals and don't really care about being "there" in DE's.

George
Old 05-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bull,

I really have this hatred of Hoosiers. I think they are too expensive for what you get. BUT, if you are racing, they are the unofficial PCA spec tire for the non GT classes. I could rant for hours about why I think they shouldn't even be considered a DOT R tire, but I won't. I like the MPSC for enduros, as I think they don't go away if pushed hard for over 30 minutes.

All that being said, I would never run a new set for a DE. I don't even know if they would make a whole weekend down here in the Texas heat. They just don't make sense unless you using the DE to setup your car and you want to run the tires you would be running in a race.

For DE's, I pretty much use anything that's black, round (hell, sometimes they aren't even round due to flat spots) and cheap. I usually get used slicks but am about to try a set of Toyo's. Hell, I'll even use normal street tires, it doesn't really bother me. Most of time, I'm just taking people for rides anyways. Actually, I can't remember the last DE session I did without a passenger.

So, you are right, it really depends on your goals. I guess I have no goals and don't really care about being "there" in DE's.

George
Sounds like fun....and I would say you have DE goals...to have fun as you describe it and take lots of people for rides (which I often do also). Have fun and enjoy!

I too have run MPSCs (3-4 years) and Corsas, prior to Hoosiers. My back-up tires are a new set of Corsas now.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:17 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Bull,

Have you run the Hoosiers yet? I would really like to get some feedback from 993's that ran both the Hoosiers and MPSC's. I love the MPSC's for DE's, next to used slicks, I think they are the best bang for the buck. I know some have issues with their feedback (or lack of), but I liked them. I also want to see how long your Hoosiers last and if you think they are worth it for DE's. BTW, I also like the Corsas. I ran the PZero C's for a while and actually still have a set laying around (rotting).

George
Old 05-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bull,

Have you run the Hoosiers yet? I would really like to get some feedback from 993's that ran both the Hoosiers and MPSC's. I love the MPSC's for DE's, next to used slicks, I think they are the best bang for the buck. I know some have issues with their feedback (or lack of), but I liked them. I also want to see how long your Hoosiers last and if you think they are worth it for DE's. BTW, I also like the Corsas. I ran the PZero C's for a while and actually still have a set laying around (rotting).

George
I have a good friend who has run the Hoosiers on his track set-up C4S(!), speaking of heavy, and has impressed me with the wear (I had low expectations) of his '05s (advanced run group). So, i am trying my first set of R6s at Mid Ohio for three days 6/9, 10 and 11. Another friend is also trying them, and 38D will be on them for his first time at the Glen Clash on the same weekend. There should be a good amount of feedback available shortly as many get their first try at these new tires.

I agree that you can't go wrong with MPSCs...I love them for my car, with the Corsas a close second.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:11 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think the hoosiers will be faster than the MPSCs if you have to drive them to the track? Does anyone drive to the track with the hoosiers or do you all trailer?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I trailer, but if I were to be driving to the track, I wouldn't do it regularly on Hoosiers. Hoosiers are a rather lightweight tire; try lifting an MPSC and a Hoosier and you will feel a significant difference. The Hoosier will not hold up to road hazards as well as the MPSC. Then there is the issue of rain....
Old 06-01-2006, 03:09 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

I've been running GACs on my GT3. Done 3 track weekend DEs with good results. Look to have at least one more wekend left. (Bought them from the discontinued list.)

I bought some 305 R3s from a local guy only to discover that I couldn't find any 245s for the front. Spoke with Hoosier, and they say it's OK to run R4s or R5s at the front, but do not recommend using any mix with R6s. The technology of the R6s is too different from the others, according to the guy with whom I spoke.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:42 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I actually like the Hoosier GAC's and SGS's, they work much better and last longer than their R compound tires.

George
Old 06-01-2006, 03:47 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I've run the Hoosiers and MPSCs. A friend of mine who has a 993 did the same one day- we traded them back to back. IMO (and his) there was no contest- Hoosiers rule.

I must have more...new ones.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by George from MD
I've run the Hoosiers and MPSCs. A friend of mine who has a 993 did the same one day- we traded them back to back. IMO (and his) there was no contest- Hoosiers rule.

I must have more...new ones.
R6s...installed today!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
R6s...installed today!
W e l c o m e t o t h e d a r k s i d e!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
W e l c o m e t o t h e d a r k s i d e!
Thanks Larry. Although, I am not a stranger on the Dark Side.....

Quick Reply: Ok to put Hoosier RS304 rears with R6 Fronts?