Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to develope b@!!s

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006 | 05:32 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Mark,

Great advice. I think that I still have enough to learn, and I am learning at such a rapid pace, that I am not reaching any plateaus . . . yet. I am a creature of habit, and very consistent. I find that the hardest thing for me is to "change" what I am doing, but it is hard not because I am scared to change, but rather because I try to drive by feel and muscle memory. Also, when I say that I always think that I am going to be successful, it is because I am a stubborn bastard who has the talent of being able to "will" myself to achieve something even though I didn't think it possible a few minutes ago. In other words, I fool myself into believing I can acheive whatever I seek to do (either that or I am just plain foolish or naive). Although this really works for me both on and off the track, it also leads me to make mistakes on the track that bite me sometimes, but since I make changes incrementally, I usually do not get into too much trouble.

I think your advice will become even more useful as I come closer to driving at the limit all the time. It is much easier to improve all the time and not be scared when you are going from 8 to 9 than I imagine it is when you are going from 9 to 10. That alone could very well explain my perspective.

Another factor that could explain my perspective is that I have never really had a bad "off" yet. I have only spun four or five times, and, although I did hit a tire wall once, I literally slid into it due to snow-covered grass at a speed of about 10 mph. Really no big deal. I have a feeling that once I have a real wreck or something that scares the crap out of me, I might view what I do a little differently. Perhaps I don't have enough experience to be as scared as I should be.

I usually only get scared later . . . when I am sitting in the paddock after a run and realize how "close" I came to a bad mistake.

Right now, I find that I learn the most by chasing someone else down. Then, you exceed your own previous "bests" without even thinking about it: you just do what has to be done. Competition or -- as you pointed out earlier -- hatred is the best motivator.

Thanks as always for the advice.

Last edited by TD in DC; 05-26-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2006 | 11:34 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the responses.

Mark I think you hit it very well from my view point. It's not a macho think for me but rather pushing beyond my comfort zone to improve and doing so without being irresponsible or reckless. A lot of this comes up more in racing than during a DE. I have only 6 races under my belt and have a lot to learn.

Thanks, Mike

Quick Reply: How to develope b@!!s