Sponsored by:

For DL1 owners: DASH1 display mounted in a 911 - with pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:57 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default For DL1 owners: DASH1 display mounted in a 911 - with pics

After a lot of thought and time, I finally got my Dash1 display mounted in my car, so I thought I'd post some pics for others to get some use out of. The car is a 1995 993, with the DL1 mounted under the passenger seat near the back.

The install is pretty clean looking, but getting it in there was pretty ugly. The two brackets are simply copper strips from Home Depot from the plumbing department (I think they're used to brace water lines). I just bent them with pliers so that they'd just hook around the bottom of the dashboard. I didn't need to screw anything to the dashboard since the defrost vent cover sits on top and keeps everything in place.

To do this, you have to remove the dashboard top, by first taking off the plastic end plugs then removing a phillips-head screw from each end. Then you have to remove the clock (difficult) or the center vent (more difficult) to get to the nut holding the dash cover down in the middle. Since you have the dash off, this is a great time to stick your GPS on your front hood and run the wiring into the car like I did (see pic). Overall, the display is really slick.

Here's a pic from the driver's perspective. It's very visible, and I made the right bracket a little longer so that the DASH1 is aimed at the driver a bit. It doesn't obstruct the view althought it looks like it does.

A view through the windshield:

GPS unit mounted next to the wipers. If I want to take it down, I can just pull it into the trunk and it disappears!
Old 05-19-2006, 04:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice looking install, I hadn't thought of doing it this way.

Did you use any double sided tape (VHB) to help hold it? Are you confident that it won't loosen up under the defroster vent and slide around?

I am considering mounting the display on the dash where the radio/vent controls would be in a normal 964.....right now I just have an aluminum plate there (no radio, no vent controls); just not really sure whether or not it would be readable.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:08 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice install

Dash 2 will be available in about one month . . .
Old 05-19-2006, 04:49 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Very nice looking install, I hadn't thought of doing it this way.

Did you use any double sided tape (VHB) to help hold it? Are you confident that it won't loosen up under the defroster vent and slide around?

I am considering mounting the display on the dash where the radio/vent controls would be in a normal 964.....right now I just have an aluminum plate there (no radio, no vent controls); just not really sure whether or not it would be readable.
It's definitely not going anywhere. Inside (where you can't see) the bracket hooks around the dashpad, which is about 0.5" or so thick. Hard to explain. Think of it this way, if you sawed off the risers that the display is mounted to, the rest of the bracket is a U shape. I thought about putting velcro underneath it, but it's already so firmly in place that I found it unnecessary.

I think having the display up on the dash would be much more readable than down where the radio is. I hate looking down out on the track. Plus the shift lights are more useable.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:39 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job. I was thinking I'd put the display against the bottom the guages on top of the steering column if I added one, but I'll have to remember this as well as it seems to be easy to look at.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What is that thing? Where ya get one?
Old 05-19-2006, 06:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Acropora
What is that thing? Where ya get one?
http://www.race-technology.com/WebPa...1/DL1Home.html
and
http://www.race-technology.com/WebPa...Dash1Home.html
Old 05-19-2006, 11:57 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine this way as it works in any light conditions and I can see both the analog and digital displays at a glance together.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2006, 12:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Kary,
Whose unit is that? I don't believe I"ve seen that one before.
Any details on the mounting/bracket?
Very nice install.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:19 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the Racepak G2X. Nicely featured GPS logger including that display for under $1000. Nice stuff too. Kary sells 'em.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Since we all showing it in public, here's my GX2 install in my 944

Old 05-20-2006, 02:49 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
Kary,
Whose unit is that? I don't believe I"ve seen that one before.
Any details on the mounting/bracket?
Very nice install.
It is a Racepak G2X unit. I use it and I am a certified trained dealer for them. The bracket I just made which is simple to make and I have a basic template for it (for a 993 without the plastic cover).

The G2X is a GPS based unit that provides MPH, RPM, laternal and longitudinal G's out of the box. You can wire power direct to your car or you can use a cigarette lighter as the source. All options for this have included cables. The software is the thing that I like best in that you can create track maps and segment them in any way you wish at any point after your run sessions. You can share track maps and data with your competitors/friends to see difference in driving style. You can also make comparisons across laps in a session or across sessions allowing you to do some rather interesting analysis. Additional channels can be added easily like brake or throttle or steering for example and you can also create computed channels from your existing data. Additional channels use the VNet technology that Racepak invented which piggy backs additional sensors without having to do anything to the data box.

It is a great unit for under $1000 and allows you the opportunity to expand it if you wish without making a huge investment like other units. Comes with a GPS receiver, data box, all cabling, compact flash car and the in car display. Quite a deal, no other units have all this in one package at this price point.

Here is my link if you are interested.

http://group9motorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=5131

If you have any other questions please let me know here or via email or phone. Also the link has some other links on it showing example software displays to give you a feel for the software capability, but there is much much more beyond that.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Within how many 1/10th's of a second accuracy are the lap times? I take it you don't need some sort transmitter at the side of the track.
How does it compare to the one colorchange used to use?
Old 05-20-2006, 04:17 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Acropora
Within how many 1/10th's of a second accuracy are the lap times? I take it you don't need some sort transmitter at the side of the track.
How does it compare to the one colorchange used to use?
All my times are within 0.05 of the AMB timing systems used at the tracks I visit. Quite accurate. Nice to have segment times without having to put beacons out and having them affected by others who also have beacons out.

Not sure how to answer the second part of your question about ColorChange. I find this an excellent product and a great price. It will improve your driving if you look at the data!
Old 05-21-2006, 12:22 AM
James Achard
Pro

All,. If you need any Racepak track maps, please let me know. this is what I have so far;

Sebring
Sebring Modified
Moroso
Daytona(24hr)
Daytona(tri oval+ IMSA chicane)
Moroso
VIR(full course)
Lime Rock Park
Watkins Glen
Laguna Seca

I have been testing this unit at all these tracks and it has worked very well.

Cheers, James

Quick Reply: For DL1 owners: DASH1 display mounted in a 911 - with pics