Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Biggest advantage: It's cheap. Air = ~75% nitrogen. No shortage in sight. Large bottle refill is ~ $13 here...we've done a whole 24 Hour race, running two airguns and filling tires, on a single bottle. If you're doing track days, one bottle will last you all year +++.

Minor advantage - it's dry, and the moisture is what leads to the variability in tire pressures cold-to-hot.

All other claimed advantages are just hooey.
With the coming requirement for all US vehicles to have TPMS installed in 2007, nitrogen is being used at tire stations/installers. Some TPMS electronics suppliers designs are susceptible to moisture; so filling a tire with an air compressor on a hot, humid day in the Southeast will introduce a significant amount of moisture into the tire/TPMS sensor....and it gets worse as the temperature goes up (and even down if it turns to frost on the sensor and freezes)
Old 05-18-2006, 12:54 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, I paid $200 for mine and $25/bottle N2 from my local supplier.

I am thinking about doing this as I eventually hope to have a compressor for the garage and would like to start accumulating tools, i.e. cuuters/grinders/impact/ paint gun etc. I thought about the battery impact gun, but am trying to plan ahead as much as possible.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:16 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have all of the above and still go for the battery impact gun first. No hose to limit your movment, knock stuff over or get stuck under everything and have to recoil. I would think that most tracks have electricity that you could plug a compressor into if you want to go the air route . Besides you can't run a fan ,fridge or AC on compressed gas so the elec has other bennies. A small air compressor is less than 1/2 the cost of a basic nitrogen setup has no monthly tank and fill costs and is less weight too. Rather than buying air buy electricity and have all the air tool air you need. You can get in line devices that have filters and desicant charges in them to remove water for filling tires. Use it only when topping off tires that the desicant lasts a long time. look under Automotive Paint tool companies for the inline dryers.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:50 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

See that makes since too as my rv has a generator so even if I don't want to rent a garage, I'm covered. God, I love this place.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:51 PM
camber799
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyT
Anyone using Nitrogen tanks to run their air tools at the track ? I have a generator door in my trailer but thought the N-tanks would be cheaper than spending a few thousand on a generator right now. I'm not even sure if this can be done, but i thought so ??? Andy
The use of nitrogen is for your tires. The tool use is an added benefit but is definately done. Nitrogen contains less moisture than air so it provides a more stable fill for the tires. I used Nitrogen becuase it was easier - always ready.

Otherwise I'd have to start the generator to run my compressor and wait for it to build pressure. Or, if you have a gass compressor you'd have to wait for that. Plus it's noisy. Or, if you don't have the equipment you'll, as you say, have to spend a lot of $ to get it. The nitrogen tanks can be rented or bought (in some cases).

I sold my enclosed trailer so currently I'm using a smaller tank that can fit in my truck and be carried around. I'm just using it for my tires and use a cordless impact wrench for my wheels.

If you are running air jacks you will probably want a two stage regulator which is a little more $ than a single stage. I didn't have air jacks so I saved the $ and bought a single stage unit.

If you are doing DE and a few club races then a large cylinder (I forget 200 or 300 cubic foot?) will last about a season with some left over. And that includes using the air impact gun for complete removal of wheels.

If you are running a more serious campaign where you're doing fabrication & repairs at the track then you'll want two.

One final note: it is illegal to go through tunnels in the US (maybe in Canada too) with tanks in your vehicle.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:44 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 80 cf bottle and will probably buy a 120 so that I can keep the 80 as a back up. Two smaller bottles are better b/c you can run one completeley dry and have one in reserve.

If I were to do it again, I would buy two 120 cf bottles. I bought my two stage regulater from ebay for about $75.00 and it has worked fine.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen to power air tools ?