Independent repair shop in Durham, NC area

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:23 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Independent repair shop in Durham, NC area

My 1984 911 is moving to the Durham area; it is a nicely set up track car that will still be driven on the street.
Since a friend is buying it, I wanted to suggest one or more good mechanics in that area. Ideally will be a shop that does both street and track 911s from the SC/Carrera era.
If you see my old Indishrot Red 911 (currently #86 with white Carrera stripes and script) on the track or on the street, give it a wave more me, please.
Thanks
Also posting this to the 911 board
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2006, 04:30 PM
davearm
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Durham Porsche Shop

European Performance in Raleigh do a lot of Porsche work. Good guys, good service.

Dave
Old 05-11-2006, 11:34 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick:

Welcome. I moved to Raleigh about 6 months ago. We are very fortunate to have VIR so close - you could not ask for a better facility.

I thnk there are several possibilities. I have used European for a few things and they have done a good job, albeit an expensive one. I wouldn't call them a race shop - they don't cornerbalance cars for example.

Chuck Miller (Millersport) is an independent shop that many people like. He is in Hillsborough and he attends a lot of events at VIR so I know he can set up a car for track. I think he can do cornerbalance, but he doesn't have a dyno. I also don't think he works on a lot of turbos

I have used Speedwerks in Thomasville (1 hour away) because they do a lot of race/track vehicles, they are a fully equipped shop with a dyno and they are a Motec dealer. First time I went into that shop, my jaw dropped - 935s 962, 916Gt, Ruf, etc. As good as they should be, I am not totally convinced they are a top of the line facility. The last alignment/cornerbalance sheet they gave me was filled out more than an hour after the work was completed - totally confusing and I am still not sure of the settings. I am a perfectionist, so understand I am very difficult to please.

I have also used Synergy and they are really very good, but they do not have a dyno and they really specialize more in 996 and 997s. They will work on air cooled cars, but I sense they are not anxious to take on that kind of work.

First rate shops with all the goodies are hard to find - once you get into town, let me know and I will fill in some gaps.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autometrics Motorsports is in Charleston SC if you dont mind the trip.
www.autometricsmotorsports.com

Quick Reply: Independent repair shop in Durham, NC area