Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlisters at Summit Point on May 8 & 9?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Mark, it was great to finally meet you also....and THANKS for the help jumping my truck battery, which some clown had run down... . Hope to see you around a track again soon!
Happy to help, Bob. I'm glad we got it running. I really enjoyed finally meeting you and running with you.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Happy to help, Bob. I'm glad we got it running. I really enjoyed finally meeting you and running with you.
We had a great run group over all, but I would call your situation passing me, not running with me (just in case the Big Turtle is watching!)! A good time was had by all....
Old 05-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony356993
Yo Bob!
Thanks for the hints for turns 6 & 7. You were right.....Way faster. I tried left foot braking and/or a nice lift and replant of the gas and both worked pretty well. I had to go up a gear to handle the extra mph. I might be able to keep up with you now...
Details! Details!!!! Don't leave your Rennlist family in the dark!!!

I've seen that too many folks exiting carousel do not stay enough on track right enough. Key is to get the car pointing up the track as you exit carousel. If you stay track right a bit longer after exiting carousel, then T7 & T8 are nearly a straight chute. Get in tight for T7. There's a 2 inch square hole on the left edge of the track in the asphalt right after T7 - clip that hole (with your left tires, of course!) and you're set up for T9. Don't get in too early for T9, otherwise you'll run out of track quickly.

That sequence seemed to work well for me. Thoughts?

-Z.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z-
Bob & I were discussing my previous innability to keep up with him in that section of the track. (Both 993's with track suspensions) My 993 TT (and most 4WD 911's) besides being really heavy, tend to push. I agree with you that T7 is the key for T8 & T9 and eventually top speed for T10. Rotating the car just slightly (left foot braking o r a slight lift) allows me to hit T7 correcly and with much greater speed. I really like Summit point because from novice's to instructors can really have a great time. Thanks again to NNJR for the invite and a great event.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony356993
Rotating the car just slightly (left foot braking o r a slight lift) allows me to hit T7 correcly and with much greater speed.
Where does this rotation take place? At around 3000 lbs, my 944S2 ain't a lightweight either... And I do get a fair amount of push coming out of carousel.

-Z.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:10 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Where does this rotation take place? At around 3000 lbs, my 944S2 ain't a lightweight either... And I do get a fair amount of push coming out of carousel.

-Z.
Z,

I picked this up from a club racer running 1:20's to 1:19's in a 90HP open wheel car where it is all momentum: His line really works from T4 on:

Way early into the T4 chute (that little diamond at track left, do not show this line to a student!) car will end up track left into the concrete patch, finish bracking at the apex of T5, rotate hard (back end comes around really fast), catch it, as the car straightens use the short straight to accelerate into the next apex T6, slightly outside track right, brake hard, Left foot throught apex up the banked turn, modulate the brake with the wheel amount needed. You can now arc this turn in one wheel turn (somewhat track middle) T7 to the outside of T8. Car will usually be near track center at this point. Here's where the speed comes in, as soon as the car goes neutral start your turn into 9. (car is neutral weight with no steering input, this was demoe'd to me by literally letting go of the wheel to display how balanced the car at this moment). In my car, my foot is to the floor in 3rd, I could use 4th and shortshift. I catch alot of people through this section. Need to shutup! I might have some video of this line, but will need to dig in my collection.

Quick Reply: Rennlisters at Summit Point on May 8 & 9?