Sponsored by:

Question about taking trailer into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 10:51 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Question about taking trailer into Canada

I'm crossing the boarder from NY to Canada pulling my 993 in the enclosed trailer along with the usual spares and tools. The track car has plates and insurance. I haven't made that crossing with the trailer before.
I hear I need to get the stuff inventoried on the way out. Anyone have some info about how I do that or what documents about the car or trailer that will be requested?
(We have room in the Metro DE at Mt Tremblant if anyone is interested)
Thanks---Marc
Old 04-27-2006, 12:17 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

For customs, you will need to do an inventory of everything in the trailer - tools, spares, equipment, etc. List serial numbers of any equipment that has one. If the car has plates, bring the registration. If you have a track car with no plates, list the serial number on your manifest. Type the manifest, (double space) and make at least two copies. Make sure the documents for the tow vehicle and trailer are current (plates, registration, insurance)

Before you leave America, take your manifest in to US Customs, explain what you are doing, and where you are going, and ask them to stamp it. When you return to America, this is your proof that you had "all this stuff" before you left the country. They might ask to see serial numbers of big items (car, motor, gearbox, or just to look in the trailer, this is standard procedure)
Proceed to Canada Customs, and show them your stamped manifest. If they ask what is the purpose of your visit, keep in mind that "You are doing this as a hobby, it is NOT a business" and you are not selling anything, of leaving anything in Canada.

Also, make sure that each adult has their birth certificate or passport.

Have a good time..!!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:36 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys ,

If only he was Mexican
Old 04-27-2006, 12:39 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I've towed to Canada the last three summers for DE's and never did any of what GUMBALL mentioned. Pulled up to the border crossing, showed them my passport (gov't) and answered their questions about where I was going/doing and for how long. Never there more than a few minutes. Think back in '03 they might have asked for tow vehicle registration. Same treatment going both straight through Montreal or 1000 Islands Bridge.

if you've never been to Tremblant you'll love it! Mosport is my favorite track in Canada now though!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:06 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Both US and Canada customs can choose not to inquire, not to search, not to ask for ID.........

.....BUT, when you return, and US Customs looks in your trailer, and asks you "where you got that, because it's not made in the USA..." and you don't have a receipt, proof of purchase, or a stamped manifest....guess what, you get to pay import duty.......

The manifest that I'm talking about will take about 15 minutes to prepare.

All it takes is one customs official having a bad day, or doesn't like track cars, or doesn't like Porsches, or.......???.........
Old 04-27-2006, 01:26 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gumballs suggestions sound reasonable and thorough.

I don't know what the "official" rules are, but I've crossed both ways with the car on a trailer. No passport. I did have the trailer's bill of sale, the car's receipt (it's not registered or insured), and my birth certificate. Customs has always been very cool, never any problems, never even asked for any paperwork, and sent me on my way.

Have fun at Tremblant! Went up there last year for the first time and had a blast.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

GUMBALL answered Marc's question perfectly.

I was just adding what my experience has been. Not planning to go back to Canada anytime soon, but may make a manifest now just in case. Would take me way longer than 15 minutes though lol lots of junk
Old 04-27-2006, 01:36 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with the stamped manifest. I had an unfortunate instance with a car, on a trailer, and a back room with no windows.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:01 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

All that was said about manifests is a good idea..can not hurt to be prepared. Other than passports or other forms of identity..one really needs to inform your insurance carrier and get a Canadian insurance card..in case of an accident, this card will be invaluable.....and it cost nothing to obtain...
Pete
Old 04-27-2006, 08:50 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I've been going over the can border for 15 years.all I bring is apassport and insurance cards.you can get the insurance card from your insurance agent
Old 04-27-2006, 09:58 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Whoa--I posted the inquiry before I went to bed--9 messages when I checked in the AM! I'm off to the trailer to inventory.
Appreciate everyone's help! And thanks for the good wishes--we haven't been to Mt T but the videos look awesome.
Marc

(And we do still have room at our Metro event at Mt T)
Old 04-27-2006, 11:45 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
I've towed to Canada the last three summers for DE's and never did any of what GUMBALL mentioned. Pulled up to the border crossing, showed them my passport (gov't) and answered their questions about where I was going/doing and for how long. Never there more than a few minutes. Think back in '03 they might have asked for tow vehicle registration. Same treatment going both straight through Montreal or 1000 Islands Bridge.
My experience has been the same. Passports were checked, but that's about it.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:44 PM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Last summer when I trailered my 951 to Markus Blaszak for some work - no problems going into Canada but on the return I was asked to open the trailer. Since it was registered and plated the officer told me I was OK to go but suggested that if I went up again to stop on the US side and fill out paperwork showing what I was taking into Canada to make the return easier. I just had the car and an otherwise empty trailer- with DE gear it may have been more difficult.
Jack
Old 04-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have crossed the border many times ,with a car in the trailer, and never had a problem. A manifest couldn't hurt but if you do catch a guy having a bad day, I don't think anything would help.
I will probably be signing up for the NY DE. Look me ( yellow GT3 with Black wheels) up if you want a little local knowledge. I've been around the track a couple of times .
Old 04-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Gumball is correct. Download a US Customs Form 4455 (or is it 5544....can't remember if I have dyslexia or not...), fill it out and attach a 'manifest'. You don't need to be too specific...don't list every socket in your tool box. Present that to US Customs at you hit the border on the way out, have them check and 'stamp' it. They'll want to look at it on the way back, but it's way easier that having to explain how your Porkblaster 997 Turbo without plates or registration is really your property and you'd like to bring it back to the US.

Quick Reply: Question about taking trailer into Canada