Shock pressure gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 06:33 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Shock pressure gauges

I'm all kinds of excited because my new track car has Moton Remote Resevoir shocks. Now I hear that I really ought to have a shock pressure gauge. Rats - they are something like $500 and that's not a good place for me to be spending my now non-existent track budget.
I doubt that everybody with these shocks has a pressure gauge. What do most of you do? Borrow from a friend at the track? Have your mechanic check the pressure? Not worry about it?
BTW, Moton USA is really good about answering questions about setup. Very impressive.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:05 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I use:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...=1036&catid=19

It was only about $150.

George
Old 04-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want to go cheap, get a Penske shock gauge from BSR
http://www.bsrproducts.com/pdf/PDFs_...0page%2070.pdf I think they are around $50.

I think the Longacre gauge is the way to go.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:38 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Make sure you get one w/ no or a very short hose. With such a small volume in the canister, you will lose measurable pressure just to fill the hose every time you check if tjhe hose is more than a couple inches long. IMO, that Longacre hose is too long.

I have the red Penske and it works just fine. I think it was $125 or so.

I've been impressed with the support from Moton USA and even the head office in Europe and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for shocks.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:23 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerome,

I've been told two different things about the length of the hose on the Longacre unit. First, several have said the same thing as you, that you lose pressure because of the hose. Others have said that the hose actually contains some pressure when closed off (which I kind of verified because I could hear some noise when I pushed the bleeder valve). I don't know which is correct.

I couldn't agree with you more on the Moton support thing. Lex has treated me exceptionally well, even though I do own the bottom of the line product. You would have though I bought some four way adjustables on a daily basis with the service I got.

George
Old 04-26-2006, 10:48 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the red Penske and it works fine. I like the longacre but with the pressure in the hose quesiton, I figured why risk it....just get the penske.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:59 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another option from Genesis. Never heard of them but I checked the site that I bought the Penske and this is the one they are now carrying.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product
Old 04-26-2006, 01:05 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Jerome,

I've been told two different things about the length of the hose on the Longacre unit. First, several have said the same thing as you, that you lose pressure because of the hose. Others have said that the hose actually contains some pressure when closed off (which I kind of verified because I could hear some noise when I pushed the bleeder valve). I don't know which is correct.

I couldn't agree with you more on the Moton support thing. Lex has treated me exceptionally well, even though I do own the bottom of the line product. You would have though I bought some four way adjustables on a daily basis with the service I got.

George
I think the issue w/ the long hose is that some of the canister gas is needed to pressurize the hose when you first attach it, meaning you lower the pressure that was in the canister and get an inaccurate reading. For example, say, you have 150# in the canister and the hose is 1/10th the volume of the canister. You attach the hose and equalize the pressure. You'd read ~135 psi on the gauge. You've lost at least a few # in bringing the hose up to pressure.

This means that if you just want to check to be sure your canister pressure is where it should be, you'll have to add a little gas to get it back to 150#. That means lugging out your bottle, hooking it up, filling, then bleeding back down.

I could see the hose being handy if the canisters are in a hard-to-reach place, but that can usually be overcome by proper planning.
I have the club sports, too, and have been amazed w/ the customer service. I'd love to see the service a full ALMS or Grand Am team get. ;-) I've even sent e-mails to the corporate e-mail address in Europe and received replies directly from Jerome (the owner) same or next day. The instance it took him until the the next day to respond, he apologized for not being able to access e-mail because he was at a race in (insert major European track here).
Old 04-27-2006, 11:21 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for that link I just ordered one. I used one with a hose this past weekend and added back 10 lbs. to the initial reading to compensate for the hose length. I look forward to this gauge and a more accurite reading.
I pressurized the shock by setting my LP regulator to the correct pressure and connecting it directly to the shock. I just didn't trust the hose and fittings.....

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
Here's another option from Genesis. Never heard of them but I checked the site that I bought the Penske and this is the one they are now carrying.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product
Old 04-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if there are any electronic pressure gauges that would read up to 300 lbs. Using one of them to just check the shocks would cause almost no loss in pressure because those type of gauges have little volume to them.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Shock pressure gauges