Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moton CS Pressures

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:26 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, funny you mention that car...I just bought a salvage car through them for my next project

How Did you do against that car? Were you about the same speed/skill?

I think this car is faster, mostly b/c of the drver, but the car is hooked up.
I'd watch out for this prepared car if anything...its turning some wicked fast times!

Old 04-27-2006, 05:12 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I raced with that car at two events last year. The first time, he was still sorting it out and scared of it, so he wasn't even competitive. The second time around, he switched to Hoosier (from Dunlop's) and we were pretty close. He definitely had the power advantage (and stick, I was using Sport Cups) but we were on a track that I have a ton of experience on, so they kind of canceled themselves out. I got him in both sprint races but he was having overheating issues. Then he let a friend (a former student of mine) drive it for the fun race (third of the weekend) and he spanked me. It wasn't one of my best moments, I even got beat by a Mini.

I'm heading out this weekend for another race with the BMW guys. Matt has since sold that car. I don't know much about the new owner but I do know that the co-driver will be the same as last year. Should be fun. I hear that there is another E46 registered but since I can't access the BMW CR list, I don't know much about it.

BTW, I would consider the 993's more comparable to the E36's rather than the E46's in club racing.

George
Old 04-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1700/1900??? Why not just weld steel rod in place of the coilovers. Sounds awfulyl high. The Cup Cars run 1100/1300 stock. I tried it and found it too stiff for all but the smoothest tracks. Down to 700/900 and the car feels much better. remember if the car is bouncing around you are dynamically loading and unloading the tires and your grip changes as a result.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:36 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
Matt has since sold that car. I don't know much about the new owner but I do know that the co-driver will be the same as last year. Should be fun. I hear that there is another E46 registered but since I can't access the BMW CR list, I don't know much about it.
George
Chased that red/white/blue E46 at TWS DE a few months back. Female driver, turning about 1:56s - 1:58s I'd guess. Probably faster in a race.

George & Hank,

You guys planning on doing the Barber PCA race? I've sent my check in. Haven't seen your car in a long time, George. And I've always wanted to see your RS, Hank.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:23 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
1700/1900??? Why not just weld steel rod in place of the coilovers. Sounds awfulyl high. The Cup Cars run 1100/1300 stock. I tried it and found it too stiff for all but the smoothest tracks. Down to 700/900 and the car feels much better. remember if the car is bouncing around you are dynamically loading and unloading the tires and your grip changes as a result.
Cup cars only weigh 2500lbs. My car is over 3000lbs. It's actually pretty smooth, no bouncing around whatsoever.

George
Old 04-28-2006, 02:32 AM
95m3racer
Pro

I think Matt will have his new E46 ITS/Prepared car esting there as well.

Here is the BMWCCA entry list for the MSR race this weekend:
Name Class Chassis Model Year
Cain, Martin Accepted HP E46 M3 2002
Charvat, Hugh Accepted KP E46 323I 1999
Groner, Matt Accepted HP E46 M3 2002

These are just the E46 entries (obviuously there's more). But it looks like there are atleast three E46 prepared cars (atleast those two HP E46 m3's).

There's been a couple SMGII M3's in HP as well, there are some bugs being worked out with it on the track though, some software, some hardware, but Ralph Warren in the one I pictured above is running fast...driven well SMG can be worth a lot of time, but if it breaks it can cause a lot more trouble.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:28 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Kevin, I'll see you on Memorial Day weekend, right?

95m3racer, thanks for the list. Looks like it's going to interesting. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've driven a non-race prepped but well set up SMG E46 and it was great. I can't wait for technology to evolve even further. Many say they will never go away from a clutch, I'm the opposite, give me SMG and one less thing to worry about.

George
Old 04-28-2006, 04:55 PM
95m3racer
Pro

I'm a fan of sequentials, but not SMG, there's just not enough control over whats happening.

Whether it be a straightcut crotchrocket gearbox on a motorcycle powered Sports racer, or a hewland/Xtrac unit on a GT car, its addictive. No Clutch/No lift upshifhts are nice.

Quick Reply: Moton CS Pressures