F1 Imola - Tactical error by Team ?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:25 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MomentumGuy
Another interesting thing I saw was that the back side of the Ferrari lolipop was a convex mirror. When they flipped it over (presumably to green), the driver could see if the crew was clear.

Wonder if something like this might have prevented Button's mis-cue in the pits - he would have been able to see that the fuel rigging had not been detached.

I'd say the stickman should be responsible for that... asking the driver to double check justs adds time.... the Button incident was a huge F-up by that guy... he's got one freaking job, and he screwed it up
Old 04-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another factor may have been that Renault figured that the length of their stop would be much short than ferrari's. As Alonzo had a lot of fuel left on board, the amount of time on the fuel rig would be significantly shorter than what would be needed on Michael's feuling, even if MS pitted on the next lap.

Great job by Ferrari here.

Also, it was fascinating to watch the overhead view of the hairpin where Alonzo would eat michael up, but MS would then pull away. Lap after lap after lap, their cars would be in EXACTLY the same position relative to the apex and to each other. Perfection in driving.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't know if it was brilliant strategy by Ferrari, but Schumi put in a hot lap as soon as FAS pitted, who would figure that he was capable of taking two secs off his lap time after seeming to struggle to stay in front of Fernando and falling several seconds off the pace. Perhaps payback for 2005? It sure was exciting.

Rgds,
Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
...but Schumi put in a hot lap as soon as FAS pitted, who would figure that he was capable of taking two secs off his lap time after seeming to struggle to stay in front of Fernando and falling several seconds off the pace. ...
Well I wonder if it had to do with his understeer. Maybe MS had too much understeer and would have roasted his tires had he pushed too hard. Then Alonso pits and MS figures push like hell. Rips off a fast one and then gets a fresh set. Maybe the car only had 2-3 fast laps in that config before he drove off the fronts thus forcing him to to slow all the other laps?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:45 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
I'd say the stickman should be responsible for that... asking the driver to double check justs adds time.... the Button incident was a huge F-up by that guy... he's got one freaking job, and he screwed it up
Actually, the stickman has two jobs, to wave the driver in, and release him

Believe me, it is a very high pressure position in any form of motor racing.

I though Buttons stickman was trying to karate-chop his head off
Old 04-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Dennis K
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Renault early pit stop might have worked if Schumacher had been in as serious trouble as it appeared. Somehow Schumacher cut his lap time by a couple seconds during Alonso's pit lap.

Schumacher had looked like he was in real trouble with the tires and was going so slowly that the Red Bull and Midland were staying with them. Renault probably figured out that if Michael was going to lap in the 1:28's that they could get the pit stop done, have Alonso go all-out and come out ahead even if Ferrari pitted only one lap later. But somehow Michael found a couple seconds for that one lap, did a great job on his pit-in and despite having a slower pitstop and came out ahead.

The guy still has it.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

simple and plain- plain and simple. renault screwed the pooch on that one. they should know roughly (2-3laps) how much fuel MS had. stay out. there is almost no scenario where alonso would benefit by coming in before MS.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

From ITV's website:

Renault’s engineering chief Pat Symonds reckons Michael Schumacher “played a blinder” to win the San Marino Grand Prix.

Schumacher masked the extent of his tyre degradation problems during the middle phase of the race at Imola by driving at a slower pace than he was capable of.

More info at: ITV F1 - Symonds Comments
Old 04-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

juan- thanks so much for the link. very interesting reading indeed.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
From ITV's website:

Renault’s engineering chief Pat Symonds reckons Michael Schumacher “played a blinder” to win the San Marino Grand Prix.

Schumacher masked the extent of his tyre degradation problems during the middle phase of the race at Imola by driving at a slower pace than he was capable of.

More info at: ITV F1 - Symonds Comments
If that's the case, then not only is Michael fast, aggressive and a master at car setup, he also shown himself to be a a genius at racecraft. Senna, Mansell, Piquet and Prost all wrapped up into one. Don't you just hate him?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:48 AM
Swedeboy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Di Montezemolo's bombshell:

You could have heard a pin drop in the Ferrari motorhome. After 30 minutes of batting off questions about Michael Schumacher and Kimi Raikkonen's possible futures with his team, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo looked set to drop a bombshell.

After answering the final question of his Q&A session with the Italian and international press, he sat up in his chair and instantly got everyone's attention.

"For the future it is very important to look ahead, but also to look back to the best," said di Montezemolo. "And I am very proud to say that Ferrari will take a big risk next year with two completely new drivers."

He stayed silent for a few seconds, the journalists present - who just moments ago were packing up their notebooks and turning off their dictaphones - suddenly *****ed up. Were the pre-race wild rumours that Ferrari will be announcing their drivers at Imola actually right?

Di Montezemolo, with a completely straight face, continued. "Michael will set up his own team and Felipe Massa will replace, just Massa alone, he will replace both Alonso and Fisichella. Renault are very careful with their costs so next year they are just running one driver - it will be Massa.

"And we will put in our car....it is a risk, I know it is a risk. But sometimes also it is nice to have a little romanticist approach. Niki Lauda and Gerhard Berger will drive for Ferrari next year..."

And with that, di Montezemolo stood up and left - a huge grin spread across his face. He had won the moment, and all those present were still left to ponder exactly what Ferrari's plans for their driver line-up in 2007 are.
Source: Autosport.com
Old 05-01-2006, 02:27 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I hope this marks the beginning of Ferrari's return. I thought Renault made a tactical error but after reading Symond's comments, I see why they pitted early.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

BTW, I watched the race from both broadcasters. I hate the network team (ABC, CBS I can't remember). Speed with Hobbs, Varsha and Matchett is much better. I really am bothered by Derek Daily. I can't stand him.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mitch236
I really am bothered by Derek Daily. I can't stand him.
you mean because he's a blathering idiot?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:24 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

I've always been a big McLaren fan (growing up, dad telling me stories about Bruce and Denny didn't hurt). For some reason, I love watching Ferrari win. Schumacher is out of this world. I would love to see him mix it up in a tin-top series after F1.

Champ Car should get him to Long Beach for the Toyota Celeb race next year.

Quick Reply: F1 Imola - Tactical error by Team ?????