AFFF and/or Halon 1211 Opinions and Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts
Question AFFF and/or Halon 1211 Opinions and Recommendations

As I work towards getting my G-Prepared racer ready for a late season campaign, I would appreciate some suggestions, opinions and/or advice on fire suppression systems. I am planning on a three-nozzle system (1 in the engine compartment, one at the fuel cell up front and one in the driver's compartment) with a mechanical pull both in the cockpit and a mechanical actuator outside for saftey workers. I have looked at the SPA and Firebottle mechanical systems and am curious about a couple of things:

1. AFFF or Halon 1211, and why?

2. What size? 5 or 10Lb Halon? 2.225L, 3.375L or 4.0L AFFF?

3. For those of you who have installed suppression systems, can you discuss any difficulties you encountered along the way? Things to watch out for?

4. Any issues with recharging?

5. What is the "shelf-life" of the charge in these systems? Is this an annual inspection only or do these bottles need to be refilled annually?

6. Anyone have any experience with the "do it yourself" recharging systems that rely on CO2 cartridges? (remember the old CO2 pellet guns?)

Any input any of you would care to provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Toby
Old 04-21-2006, 01:59 PM
John Brown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, if you can still get systems with it; halon 1301.

Other than that, remember the equivalent quatity is different for each agents. Most (all?) the aff agents require greater quantity than halon.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:33 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

On this subject, everyone seems to have several opinions...I have asked specific questions to company reps that manufacture and sell various systems. So, here is my perspective, based on that.....

1) my recommendation is for the AFFF, for several reasons:
a) it is non-toxic, non-corrosive, not poisionous, and, because it is a foam it does smother the fire. And, if you do discharge the system, it is water-washable - a garden hose and an air line.........
b) Halon works by supressing oxygen...a sufficient concentration in a closed car will also supress the driver......think about it......
c) "major league" teams use AFFF exclusively...CART, IRL, NHRA Top Fuel, NPBA.....

2) size: for your car, a 2.25 liter is probably sufficient (you don't carry that much fuel) but, if in doubt - more is better

3)recharging: With the AFFF, if you can take your empty bottle to a local distributor, it can be filled and re-charged in about 10 minutes. If you buy the CO2 cartridge AFFF system, you can re-charge it yourself in about 10-15 minutes.

Halon systems require the bottle to be pressure tested before filling....turn around, about 1 day. Also, because of the environmental issues, there are fewer distributors that are still doing refills....

And EVERY fire supression system needs to be serviced every 2 years.

4)shelf life: the AFFF, being a type of glycol/water mix, will freeze at about -10C. I was told that SPA and other companies are developing a "freeze proof" AFFF, but I do not know if it is on the market yet (you might inquire) Other than that issue, there is no shelf life limit for either AFFF or Halon.

5) installation: With any system, nozzles in the engine compartment, cockpit, and above the fuel cell are recommended. Warning - in regard to the cockpit nozzle, it should be mounted low (knee level) and NEVER at or near eye level..!

Last edited by GUMBALL; 04-23-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks Gumball. I appreciate the input. I would concur with your opening statement - ask twelve different people and you will likely get 20 differing opinions. I really appreciate your input.

Toby

Quick Reply: AFFF and/or Halon 1211 Opinions and Recommendations