Gas prices and its affect on racing ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 07:44 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gregg,

Fortunately my tool trolley/pit wagon doesn't run on 114 octane like my race car

I just have to workout a little extra before the weekend so I can push it...

Norm
Old 04-21-2006, 08:24 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another factor to think of is not just race weekend costs but the overall budget. if you have $XXX leftover each month to play with and are earning on a fixed level cost inflation of houshold consumables eats into your fun money. Heating bill or Watkins Glen? Granted the regulars here are a bit above that point but some uf us do not have the extra earning cap to cover a large overall budget increase. The household CFO shuts you down or you don't do the more expensive weekends.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:21 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Household CFO?

SO, who's the CEO?

I smell what your cookin, brotha'
Old 04-21-2006, 12:18 PM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, you are right about single "answers". I am no economist, but here is my speculation: if there was a surplus of one refined product, over time the cost for that product would decrease as supply exceeds demand. Say more diesel or fuel oil or jp1 or whatever than needed. I don't see that anywhere today, everything is costing more. In fact if costs decrease for one product, then consumers would convert to that product, somewhere in the world, say from gas to diesel, or whatever. So I think over time its going to be natural for demand to match supply across all refined products worldwide. Now you could argue specifically to USA, but I think what I say probably holds for USA too, at least over time.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:04 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Another factor to think of is not just race weekend costs but the overall budget. if you have $XXX leftover each month to play with and are earning on a fixed level cost inflation of houshold consumables eats into your fun money. Heating bill or Watkins Glen? Granted the regulars here are a bit above that point but some uf us do not have the extra earning cap to cover a large overall budget increase. The household CFO shuts you down or you don't do the more expensive weekends.

Everyone from Domino's to UPS charges me a fuel surcharge. Last I checked, I drove my car part of the way to work using fuel. My costs go up, my income stays the same. Why can we charge our employers more for our services? I'm asking for it in the next review cycle.

(I'm sure you'll see me in the classified section, sell off my toys after that one. )
Old 04-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mds
Bob, you are right about single "answers". I am no economist, but here is my speculation: if there was a surplus of one refined product, over time the cost for that product would decrease as supply exceeds demand. Say more diesel or fuel oil or jp1 or whatever than needed. I don't see that anywhere today, everything is costing more. In fact if costs decrease for one product, then consumers would convert to that product, somewhere in the world, say from gas to diesel, or whatever. So I think over time its going to be natural for demand to match supply across all refined products worldwide. Now you could argue specifically to USA, but I think what I say probably holds for USA too, at least over time.
That is certainly the way Adam Smith would have thought it to work. Ever look up how much of the diesel fuel sold in the USA is produced in the USA?

In general, you target the products you want to maximize, then get what you get of the other distillates. Anyway, we are now in the period of change over from winter products (heating products focused) to summer products (gasoline focused), with the resulting annual impact.

Rest assured that I thank you for saving all of the fuel you can.....

Quick Reply: Gas prices and its affect on racing ?