Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Thunderhil

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006 | 11:53 AM
c4bliss
Racer

Default Question on Thunderhil

I will be heading up to TH for the first time in two weeks or so. Anyone have any video of the track that i can see?

I would really appreciate it.

Robert
Old 04-20-2006 | 02:05 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.pca-ggr.org/show.cgi?id=ttvenues#thunderhill
http://www.lasttenth.com/

Dennis really has a huge number of videos at all of the NorCal tracks. They are a great resource.

Hope this helps. I'll see you at the track!
Old 04-20-2006 | 07:18 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

GGR has both track descriptions and videos here

Are you going to the NCRC event 5/5?
Old 04-20-2006 | 07:50 PM
c4bliss
Racer

Eric,

Thanks!! Do you know which way and what config they run with the TT?
Old 04-20-2006 | 09:39 PM
Dennis K
Addict
Rennlist Member

I see Eric's already linked you to my site . . .

I think PCA is running counter-clockwise with the cyclone (most frequently used configuration). To save you time, here's a direct link to a lap with that same config:

Thunderhill CCW (29 MB)

If my car is ready, I hope to be out there too that weekend.
Old 04-20-2006 | 11:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

c4bliss, nice to meet you in person at BW. if you are doing the TT at TH, why not come to friday event with unlimitedlaps as well. i will be there friday only.
Old 04-21-2006 | 01:48 AM
c4bliss
Racer

Mooty, great to meet you to. I really like the sound of that Cayman! Looks like you really put it through its paces from what i could see. What a great weekend that was. I really enjoyed that. I cant make the friday event, i am barely going to have time to get my requirements in order to make saturday and sunday. I dont have an ext in the car yet and my helmets a SA95. So i have a busy weekend tracking all that down!

Dennis, thanks for the video! I see that TH is run much faster then BW.
Old 04-21-2006 | 03:01 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like the gang's going to make it to the first real GGR TT since Infineon was rained out. I was tempted to squeeze in the NCRC TT on 5/5, but I've got a long drive to make it to Willow Springs for the Driving Concepts race school that weekend.

I hope the weather holds up. I haven't been to TH in over a year.
Old 04-21-2006 | 01:18 PM
c4bliss
Racer

After watching that vid a few times, question. It looks like most of that course is driven in 4th or higher. What kinda speeds are you guys getting on that track. Just curious. My track exp. is BW and streets of willow so that looks like a big fast track on video.
Old 04-21-2006 | 02:15 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by c4bliss
I really like the sound of that Cayman! Looks like you really put it through its paces from what i could see.
i am not sure if TH is faster than BW (the 2nd day config). i did 208 at BW 2nd day, not sure i can do 208 at TH in cayman (i'll let you know)...

day 1 at BW was definitly slower than TH.

the cayman sounds strange isn't it. you see the car, but hear dead silence, i mean nothing. until the car passes you, then you hear what resembles sonic boom... i was surprised when i had fong drive my car and i listened from the hot pit.

it was fun chasing earlyapex and steve taty around the track. if fong would slow down a bit, i can probably spook him more coming out the esses, LOL.
Old 04-21-2006 | 02:16 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by c4bliss
After watching that vid a few times, question. It looks like most of that course is driven in 4th or higher. What kinda speeds are you guys getting on that track. Just curious. My track exp. is BW and streets of willow so that looks like a big fast track on video.
in a GT3, i can hit 130 easily before braking for T1. in your car, most every thing is done in 4th gear. T3 off camber, and T11 are 3rd gear turns (some will use 2nd gear for T11). stay in 3rd for T12-13.
Old 04-21-2006 | 02:17 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

eric, you are going to UL right?
Old 04-21-2006 | 02:31 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Thunderhill has a lot of gear changes, but I only get into 5th on the main straight. Here's a map with my approximate gear changes. It's got a nice mix of fast and slow sections.

Old 04-21-2006 | 03:12 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I don't know if this will work, but here's an in-car video of me doing a lap with an inset picture that shows the gear changes. I've never used 'YouTube' before, so let me know if this plays.

CLICK HERE TO SEE A THUNDERHILL LAP
Old 04-21-2006 | 07:11 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jack, when's your next NorCal track date?

Yes, John, I'll be there Fri with UL and Sat/Sun with GGR. I just got my WEVO shifter put in and it feels fantastic compared to the OEM shifter. I hope to avoid the 3 to 2 and 5 to 2 shifts that have scared the pants off of me. I don't think I'ver hurt the engine, but it was time to invest in some insurance.

They will likely run the TT in the normal CCW direction using the Cyclone (T5). The CCW direction is rarely used. TrackMasters Racing runs it for fun once a year.

The GGR web site will have some old TT records. Unfortunately, they have changed their claissification system from the old PCA system to a points system.

BW is not slower than TH. I ran a 2:07 (CCW, R1 configuration) and 2:10 (CW, R13 configuration). These times would be respectible at TH in the CCW direction. Rich Walton (Smart Racing Products) has been rumored to have run a sub 2 minute lap at TH in a spec 911 race car. It's definately a fast track and it's even faster now that they've added flat burms on many of the turns.

Quick Reply: Question on Thunderhil