Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Roll cage inspection/C2 Cup Car cage

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:05 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

JC said to try using the Wagenpass as proof...i will take that with me to Mid-Ohio and see what happens...drill will be ready to go if necessary!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:15 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think the scruit knows German?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Before I bought my car, it was run at Rennsport 2 by a fellow Rennlist member, clubrcr, and drilled for the purposes of tubing measurement. The hole was covered by an 'inspection sticker' saying it passed. It's still there.

FWIW, after I bought it, I was also told that the factory cage in my 92 Euro Cup is not up to (current) PCA standards due to thinner wall than currently specified/required, but is "grandfathered in" since it is as 'as built factory Cup car cage'.

It doesn't matter to me, since I will never race the car (it's strictly a recreational DE car for me).
Old 04-12-2006, 10:37 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The attached page from an official Wagenpass (racing logbook) shows the cage certification section (yellow highlight). Note the official certification stamp. Unfortunately the actual dimensions of the cage are rarely filled out here, because when they teched the original [dozens and dozens] of identical, brand new, original factory Cups for the series they didn't bother to write in all the values. Hopefully this is enough proof that your car has a cage good enough for a professional racing series.

As others have said, this cage may not meet the specs of all organizations. Bollocks I say. They should give it a waiver like PCA club racing does. I mean, this cage was built at Weissach. Are you telling me that it's inferior to a cage that is a little thicker but possibly built in a guys backyard?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

My cage conveniently came with a plate welded to it specifying the construction. I had this and the reciept from the cage builder, complete with specs, at my first scrutineering for PCA.

No drill, no holes.

Not sure if others will accept appropriate documentation in lieu of "destructive" testing techniques. I would certainly hope so...
Old 04-13-2006, 10:55 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Got a definitive answer from NASA..."Vehicles homologated by, or built to the specs of SCCA,IMSA and Grand Am must conform to these rules, or may conform to their respective current class rules for roll cage requirments." INOW, if it is a factory built cage don't worry about drilling the holes, it'll pass. told me to bring Wagenpass and FIA certs just in case you run in to a tech who is not familiar with that ruling...it is on page 58 of the NASA rule book. Thanks all for the help and insights!
Old 04-16-2006, 02:47 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Nader - wait for the inspectorto tell you where - as that way you will only have to drill one hole. Do, however, bring whatever tools you would use (centerpunch, GOOD drill bits and a drill) and offer to drill the hole yourself so you can do it to your spec rather than have it scuffed and scraped when the same bit thats drilled 30 other cages that day attempts to burrow into your cage.

- edit - this doesn't apply to the current thread - but good advice anyway
Old 04-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both NASA and PCA accepted a copy of the FIA certificate for my 996 clubsport cage w/o drilling a hole. Took me months to get a copy from Germany though.

Quick Reply: NASA Roll cage inspection/C2 Cup Car cage