Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Instructional DVD of Watkins Glen

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 08:56 AM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Almost follow the yellow line on your right up the hill then break off for 3. That's how I get it.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:59 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
Looks to me that the line is right but the discription could be better. IE

It is a throw away corner,
Turn in very late and hit apex very late and then hold the car on right edge until turn in point for 3
Agreed. They clearly still apex it, just later than where the cone it set.

I might still order it to see if there is anything useful.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Where are the other places to miss the apex, out of curiousity?
That's why they're called 'secrets'. As I mentioned before, there are three 'forces' at T2 that conspire to screw your entry speed to the back straight. Think about what you're fighting there, and then think about where else has those same three conditions. Hint: it doesn't have anything to do with the texture of the track surface...unless it's wet...which invokes a whole new set of secrets, which you'll all have to figure out yourselves.

You know that old phrase: "I taught him everything he knows, but I haven't taught him everything that I know...".

You learn a tremendous amount about physical track layout, racing little low-horsepower ****boxes. What is very obvious in a 80-150hp race car isn't as apparent in a 350+hp race car...but 'not apparent' does not mean 'not important'. Little things make HUGE differences.

Example: Start/Finish at the Glen is moving waaay down the front straight this season...down in front of the 'spot it from outer space' grandstands from Nazareth that went in last season. That part of the track hasn't changed at all...not a bit...but moving S/F down that far changes T1 and T11 in a big way. T1 on a green flag start will be different...and T11 going to the checker will be a whole lot different. It used to be that, in spec cars or nearly equal equipment, if you beat somebody to the Bus Stop, you'd beat them to S/F unless you did something STOOPID. S/F moves downtrack, and everything is different now. Hope they added more layers to the tire barriers at the exit of T11...and put an extra water drum at Pit In...we're going to need them.

Quick Reply: New Instructional DVD of Watkins Glen