DE communicators

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:04 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Default DE communicators

First, I searched the archives and really couldn't find what I wanted to know. My query is whether to buy a FRS type communicator with a 5 mile range and use it for enduros to communicate with the pits or just buy the typical chatterbox communicator that allows communication as long as you are physically connected to the chatterbox unit with the headphones/mic cable.

Can you use the FRS type with two sets of headphones/mics and not be blabbing all over the airwaves? I don't know anything about this stuff and living in BFE, I don't know anyone around here to talk to about it.

I hate to spend money on a non-radio model when I could spend more and kill two birds...TIA
Old 04-04-2006, 11:40 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both of the chatterbox units, wireless and wired. The FRS unit works great for pit communication but not so well for in car person to person. First, in it's standard operating mode, the unit only comes on when you speak, which there is a slight delay. You can set it to intercom, but then you are transmitting over the airwaves continuously. I learned the hard way as I sat in the pits talking to my student, and in my usual manner, I kept using profanity trying to figure out if the unit was working. Well, the grid lady came by and said "I think the f***'n thing works". She thought it was funny.

If there was a way to make the FRS unit not transmit over the airwaves, it would be awesome, but from what I've been told, you can't.

The other problem with the FRS unit is that it uses the noise cancellation headsets. They do sound better but they don't make a student version. You can't swap headsets between the two units.

George
Old 04-04-2006, 12:02 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Funny story. That's what I was afraid of. I just know that I'd be doing the same thing. I just called wheel source and got the ole standby chatterbox unit. I have to go over to Dayton to get tires next week anyway.

Quick Reply: DE communicators