F1---how about round three at Melborne!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:37 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
It is the same , instead of the Ferrari's you now have the Renault's up front unless you find battles of the midfield and backmarkers exiting. Alonso better gets the championship again because it ain't gonna happen with his new ride next year . F1 = best car = championship, second best car = looser.
Agree with the first statement, however, after watching this race it is apparent to me that Fernando is the better driver than Kimi, and I expect him to have continued success even at McLaren vs. wherever Kimi ends up (Renault or Ferrari).
Old 04-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbennett
I saw that!! WTH?

He forced a second one and shortened the race by 1 lap
JPM did not force the second recon lap. That was caused by Fisi. JPM lucked out however because w/o the stall by Fisi he would have had to start from the back of the field.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
And Schumi... Again, when he doesn't have the best car and has to really push, what happens? A mistake.
Yep.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by APKhaos
One was that the choice of 2.4 liter capacity just happens to be 80% of the capacilty ov the V10. Or, a V10 with two cylinders amputated. This means that quite a lot of parts for the new engines came straight out of the V10 parts bins.
That's what they said, but it's not really true from what I understand. I'm sure that was Uncle Max's thoughts (he's such a boob), so that's the "company line." However, the V8s have very different harmonics from the V10s and that required all new engines. Grandprix.com covered this issue a while back.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:18 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by Geo
Did y'all hear the news that Speed was stripped of his points finish? Seems the FIA didn't like something he did in a yellow flag area (funny that they accept passing under yellow by R. Scummie). He got fined $5k for mouthing off to someone as well.
A bit of inconsistency there eh? I think Ralphie passed 2 or 3 cars under yellow.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kev
Agree with the first statement, however, after watching this race it is apparent to me that Fernando is the better driver than Kimi, and I expect him to have continued success even at McLaren vs. wherever Kimi ends up (Renault or Ferrari).
If you mean mid-race when he was slow, maybe the missing front wing end plate (that made car understeer like grazy) had something to do with it?

After the last pit stop when they changed the wing, his lap times and driving got back up there they were before (the wing damage).
Old 04-03-2006, 01:48 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I think Kimi and Alonso are the class of the field. You can never rule out MS from taking a podium, however, as he still has the fire and talent that got him his previous championships. I don't subsribe to the MS bashing that's gone on through the years. No single driver wins a championship without a championship capable team and equipment. Team Ferrari was and still is about MS and you have to give the man credit for leading such a great team.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:18 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by chris walrod
BTW, now exactly how much money is this new 2.4L engine formula saving???
Like Matchett said early in the year, why oh why did they not just rev- and intake-restrict the V10s for the whole field? Much cheaper and more reliable.

Gary
Old 04-03-2006, 02:22 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

If you mean mid-race when he was slow, maybe the missing front wing end plate (that made car understeer like grazy) had something to do with it?

After the last pit stop when they changed the wing, his lap times and driving got back up there they were before (the wing damage).
I thought I might hear from you, FF.

The wing failure was caused by vibration from when Kimi flat spotted his tires trying to pass Button. As I recall, same sort of error cost him P1 at a race last year. My point is that I think Fernando is the more polished and consistent driver. Anyone should be able to see that the kid just has "it" and will be winning Championships for a long time. I think most people have a perception that Kimi is faster than Fernando based on last year when Kimi had a faster car. Now that Fernando has a car equal or better in pace it seems to me that that perception may not necessarily be true.

Finally, Ron Dennis' decision to sign Fernando for next year seems to validate all of this as well.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Geo
Race Director

MS is wondering why the bump in the grass is there and thinks it should be removed.

I think if he kept the rubber on the black part of the track he wouldn't even know the bump was there.

Oh, BTW, apparently Speed told Couthard to F*ck Off.

Oh, and Ferrari is whining that they can't do well with the changing regulations. Doesn't seem to be hurting Renault and McLaren.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeez, sorry guys I am hitting 0 for 2

Actually I meant to say Button on the last lap and I missed some of the Montoya possibly causing the second formation, I was doing something else and I just assumed it was he.

Originally Posted by Geo
JPM did not force the second recon lap. That was caused by Fisi. JPM lucked out however because w/o the stall by Fisi he would have had to start from the back of the field.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kev
I thought I might hear from you, FF.

The wing failure was caused by vibration from when Kimi flat spotted his tires trying to pass Button. As I recall, same sort of error cost him P1 at a race last year. My point is that I think Fernando is the more polished and consistent driver. Anyone should be able to see that the kid just has "it" and will be winning Championships for a long time. I think most people have a perception that Kimi is faster than Fernando based on last year when Kimi had a faster car. Now that Fernando has a car equal or better in pace it seems to me that that perception may not necessarily be true.

Finally, Ron Dennis' decision to sign Fernando for next year seems to validate all of this as well.
Not looking through blue & white glasses but just wanted to point out the wing problem in case you weren't aware of that.

As Kimi said, to tally his mistake to lock-up the tyre and that caused the wing problem. Similar thing in Nurburgring last year.

When you have to push really hard, that tends to happen every now and then. If you have lead and/or equipment as Alonso's , there is no need to push that hard.

As far as who is better champion, driver or whatever, IMO it's next to impossible to tell which one of them would be better since equipment changes everything and is very hard to judge which car is better etc.
They're both really really good and have ***** for sure.

One more: I really like Alonso's celebrations this year, first race with Jim Carrey moves (bet with friends before the race) and now the Kangaroo!
I do hope he doesn't get to show of many more new moves though...

What I really want to see is Kimi & Alonso (to me it looks like they are the two who will win it this year) staying very close to each others in points so that they both have to fight hard for the wins and WDC!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
MS is wondering why the bump in the grass is there and thinks it should be removed.

I think if he kept the rubber on the black part of the track he wouldn't even know the bump was there. ...
In deed! 9 out 10 times when he makes a mistake he is unbelievable lucky (and somehow manages to miss the wall, gets pushed out of the sand "because of safety reason" or something) but this time was that 1 time out of 10 when the result is like it normally should be.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

In deed! 9 out 10 times when he makes a mistake he is unbelievable lucky (and somehow manages to miss the wall, gets pushed out of the sand "because of safety reason" or something) but this time was that 1 time out of 10 when the result is like it normally should be.
Very rare to see MS screw up driving that badly... usually if he bends a car, it is a mechanical failure... but alot of people were going wide on that turn... looks lke the track was either slippery there, or had a tricky surface.

Alonso really looks unbeatable... he has the best car and appears to also have the cleanest driving style (probably doesn;t have to do 11/10ts to say up). But he just doesn't seem to get flustered or make stupid mistakes.

Lot of good wheel to wheel racing from P2 back...though... one of the better ones I've seen in a while
Old 04-03-2006, 03:56 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Very rare to see MS screw up driving that badly... usually if he bends a car, it is a mechanical failure... but alot of people were going wide on that turn... looks lke the track was either slippery there, or had a tricky surface.
Drivers were pushing extremely hard there to get a good run onto the main straight because turn 1 is one of the best (maybe only) overtaking spots.

Quick Reply: F1---how about round three at Melborne!