Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why aren't there many Boxster club racers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:07 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He was driving a US Cup at that race. Now I think he has a 964 3.3 Turbo.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:53 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracup21
He was driving a US Cup at that race. Now I think he has a 964 3.3 Turbo.
Correct. We are going to have some good battles in D this year! I just hope to be in the mix!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:43 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe, I say that the engine in that 944 TS is worth $19k b/c of the Milledge head and EPE full rebuild. I have no doubt it is fully legal, but fully blueprinted and balanced. Yes, its not worth that "used" but it sure cost that much to build.

And no, that car did not race in D. It runs in E.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:16 AM
gt3skea
Instructor

even though it sounds bad (well, not to many im sure), i have heard a lot of people refer to boxters as a "girls" car and i agree - especially the early models. i know i bought a bmw 330 ci instead of one (after briefly thinking of both) to prep as a second car for nasa/pboc/de.... and that was mainly for the wife - but as i will drive it sometimes i just didnt want to have a boxter - to me they look like a miata as well. and if you are going to go slow like me at least look good.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:35 AM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. When Mike ran the Cup Car in D, it had the same number as the red E car. That's why I questioned it.

I still think that spending that kind of dough on a stock class 944 motor seems excessive.

If I didn't already have the S2 Firehawk car and wanted to start fresh in E, this looks like it would be a screaming good deal for a well equipped car!

Joe
Old 03-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Lefty's Deceiver
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, but it's still a 944. No offense to 944 owners, I'm just not a big fan, I'm not a big fan of a lot of sportscars like Corvettes for example. I think that some of the charm of this sport (since we are not doing it for money) is being able to race your childhood dream car. For me it was always a 911 and that's what I'll probably end up with (a 3.2 Carrera F car). I was only thinkng about the Boxster from the point of view that it is a modern car with decent suspension geometry, great balance, good brakes and sounds great - kind of like a civilized 914.

As for it being a girl's car, those kind of comments always amuse me because they show how us humans are so focused on what other people think of ourselves. I couldn't care less if people think it's a gir's car, if it feels like a great tool in my hands and I'm passing you then I'm the one who's laughing.

Lefty
Old 03-15-2006, 05:14 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Agreed... but I race a miata.

I'm also the guy that got the hot girlfriend b/c I didn't follow the crowd.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:00 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefty's Deceiver
As for it being a girl's car, those kind of comments always amuse me because they show how us humans are so focused on what other people think of ourselves. I couldn't care less if people think it's a gir's car, if it feels like a great tool in my hands and I'm passing you then I'm the one who's laughing.
I think it is great to drive a "girls car" fast and beat a bunch of folks in stripped down racers. When Charlie had his Boxster, we used to call it The Chickster (well, I actually called it "Spegina", which was the combination of Speedy and, er, something else ). There is nothing better than being in the paddock and asking someone how they liked getting passed by a chick car. They typically shut up fairly quickly.

Originally Posted by MJR911
I'm also the guy that got the hot girlfriend b/c I didn't follow the crowd.
You'd better start bringing her to the races! Mmm...PCA grid girls...

Old 03-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
You'd better start bringing her to the races! Mmm...PCA grid girls...

To the club races? He's afraid to even bring her to the club meetings.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:41 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Mark Twain used to say youth was wasted on the young, but in the case of Mitch, that's definetely not true.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:33 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Bill, you are too kind!

Larry, the club meeting was a quick in and out... I haven't even seen most of those guys in years. She'll be around though, MARRS 2 and 3 at VIR will be her first race. Staying right at the track is about as good a chance as possible of making it enjoyable I figure.

Colin, I DEFINITELY think PCA could use some grid girls, or trophy girls?! (or trophies!!) When we're at the next race I'll share a business plan I have that involves beautiful women and racing.

... back to miata prep for its maiden voyage to Summit this weekend. (the gf is staying home b/c of something to do with chocolate syrup and Vixens Gentlemen's Club!!?!... besides, can't break in a new girl AND a new car in 1 weekend boys!!)
Old 03-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Lefty's Deceiver
Yes, but it's still a 944. No offense to 944 owners, I'm just not a big fan,...

Lefty
Lefty

They keep beating you. Maybe you should join them...
Old 03-16-2006, 01:31 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

WOW LEFTY - great comment - i guess there are a lot of shallow and society-approval-dependent people around, and with mitch getting the only hot chick around can you blame us? thus no boxters...

i am VERY interested in spec miata racing though on a side note so i think my comment there got taken incorrectly.

i agree with you guys as fars as driving a "girls car", and when given a boxter by the service department at the local porsche i quite liked driving it (and again, considered it to buy as a second car) however i would put it more in terms of my old college roomates great observation "its like a fat girl, shes fun as long as your friends don't see you" - actually that didn't have much to do with it but in some way it relates. when spending money on a car, im going to get one i like, not one that i don't just bc its "fun" to pass others and allows me a simpleton way to "laugh" and amuse myself by doing so -and by the limited number of them around the track, interest in developing them despite its redeeming qualities, and the fact there aren't too many people even paying attention to this thread (as i should have done) - im obviously not alone (although i appear to be on this thread.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:34 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

you just gotta be "into" the car you are driving. just like you said, the boxster didn't do it for you. just like there's no way i'd drive a spec miata or a 944 over a boxster. whatever flats your boat. FWIW, having owned a boxster and now a 996, the boxster outhandles the 996, hands down.

i STILL don't get why people think the boxster is a chick car. cuz it's a convertible? i guess you can say every convertible is a chick car then, 911, 993, 996...

Originally Posted by gt3skea
WOW LEFTY - great comment - i guess there are a lot of shallow and society-approval-dependent people around, and with mitch getting the only hot chick around can you blame us? thus no boxters...

i am VERY interested in spec miata racing though on a side note so i think my comment there got taken incorrectly.

i agree with you guys as fars as driving a "girls car", and when given a boxter by the service department at the local porsche i quite liked driving it (and again, considered it to buy as a second car) however i would put it more in terms of my old college roomates great observation "its like a fat girl, shes fun as long as your friends don't see you" - actually that didn't have much to do with it but in some way it relates. when spending money on a car, im going to get one i like, not one that i don't just bc its "fun" to pass others and allows me a simpleton way to "laugh" and amuse myself by doing so -and by the limited number of them around the track, interest in developing them despite its redeeming qualities, and the fact there aren't too many people even paying attention to this thread (as i should have done) - im obviously not alone (although i appear to be on this thread.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:37 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Chick car or not, I'd like to try a boxster in PCA... just for giggles... with ABS and the potential handling, it would sure be interesting...

Anybod want to lend me their Boxster for a summer....

Quick Reply: Why aren't there many Boxster club racers?