SCCA E Production Rules and Fuel Cells

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA E Production Rules and Fuel Cells

SCCA E Production rules require a fuel cell or an original equipment plastic molded gas tank. If the Porsche 944 has a plastic tank molded into the frame structure and protected with a factor roll over switch for the fuel pump, why are people spending the money just to have a cell? I understand safety as much as the next guy but the only thing the cell is going to add is slosh reduction. In fact the cell is a draw back due to increase roll center and weight if you do not go with a small cell and mount it in the original space.

Any opinions out there?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

2006 is the first year SCCA is allowing an OE tank in production. Previous years you had to run a cell.

The cell in my car is old, and I've contemplated removing it and replacing it with an OE tank. Either that or I'd have to replace the foam, and I should probably do the bladder too.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What region do you run EP? Any chance of getting some pic's? I've been thinking of converting to EP from ITS and hadn't changed yet because I was working my budget for a the cell. Now seems to be a good time to switch with the new rule and get away from the nascar bashing in ITS. How did you fabricate your rear window safety straps so the hatch would still open? Thanks for the feedback. jim.clark@chep.com
Old 03-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

My car is still an ITS car, so it still has a glass rear window.

There are other guys here running lexan, they can help you with the window straps better than I could. I'd put something inside the window too so that it doesn't deflect at speed.

I sent you some more info in a PM.

Quick Reply: SCCA E Production Rules and Fuel Cells