Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where & how to mount displays (lap timer, Dash1) in a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:38 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Where & how to mount displays (lap timer, Dash1) in a 911?

I'm trying to figure out how on earth I'm going to mount this display for my DL1 data logger, and could use some ideas and maybe pics of others' methods of mounting lap timer displays and similar stuff. Here it is - the 9" long Dash1 display:

I'm considering Race Technology's windshield suction mount, which looks pretty secure but I'm not sure it would pass tech or my own high standards:

My only criteria is that it's easily visible and I don't have to drill or cut up my dash. One idea is to put it on the dashboard and somehow secure it onto the screws that hold the defroster vent frame up near the winshield-edge of the dashboard. Does that make sense?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:27 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a cage where you an mount it up there where the visor was? I used alum material to faishon two extensions (clamped to the cage) and a backing plate to velcro my lap timer from the back on there.

It's always easy to make a quick heads up to look at it vs looking down IMHO.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted a HotLap timer where the radio was..

I used the frame from the aftermarket radio and made a faceplate from some plastic. I currently have the hotlap box velcroed in but had intended to mount it was L brackets.

I also replace the original HotLap box with a thinner one that I found at an electronics store.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:42 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Do you have a cage where you an mount it up there where the visor was? I used alum material to faishon two extensions (clamped to the cage) and a backing plate to velcro my lap timer from the back on there.

It's always easy to make a quick heads up to look at it vs looking down IMHO.
Unfortunately I don't have a cage. It might be possible to attach it to the sun visor mounting points, though. I'll have to think about that.

Quick Reply: Where & how to mount displays (lap timer, Dash1) in a 911?