Sponsored by:

Car Project Completed (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Project Completed (Pictures)

Some folk like Geoffery have provided helpfull input, so I thought I'd provide few photos of the finished product.

My 964 has been revamped to fit the class rules for GT-Light (GTL) in PRC Racing. 993 GT2/RSR body kit from Getty design, Jongbloed wheels and R600 compound slicks (required for GTL). Weight removal round one results in 2535 lbs with 1/8th of a tank of gas and no driver weight.

I picked the car up on Thursday from Jerry Woods and went to Sears Point/Infineon to try it out. I've never driven there before so I have no pre-modification times for comparison. I was running 1:54s on Saturday after getting used to the track on Friday. The car should be capable of 1:48, so I have a way to go. Anyway, here are some photos.

Top of Turn 2:

Turn 11:

Heading down the carousel (Turn 6):

Just putt-putting along

Eating a Miata for lunch:

One down and one to go ...

Rennlist was very well represented, there were at least a dozen of us there!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:59 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great meeting you and the new turtle your car is so badass! how did the car feel after softening the sways? great lap times considering you just picked it up thursday

excellent pics from dave wong (as usual). hope i get my photo CD soon.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:21 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

What's the last thing that goes through a bug's mind before it get's splattered on the new Turtle?

His arss.

Great car, Tom. I had a great time with you at the track and afterwards with Colm. The 993 guys couldn't mess things up. That's how good it was!
Old 02-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carlos: It was nice to meet you. I was a bit rushed and wish I had had more time to chat. Next time! After softening the front and firming the rear it was too loose. However, the pressures were too low (only 22 hot instead of 24) due to the change in conditions between Saturday and Sunday morning. I added air, but the rain came just before lunch and I was NOT going to risk the car so I called it a great weekend and headed home. I'm anxious to go to Thunderhill in a couple weeks as I certainly know that track and continuing to tune the Turtle and myself will be even more fun.

Eric: It was just good natured differences of opinion regarding various Porsche models. God I had a great time. You need to get the car ready for Toyo spec and come run PRC.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:49 AM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom W
I was running 1:54s on Saturday after getting used to the track on Friday. The car should be capable of 1:48, so I have a way to go.
You ought be seeing something in the 1:45's with a car with that much rubber under it. It will take some time to get use to the car and how far you can go with it. Running 245/285 on my 993 I have been able to turn 1:49's consistently so I think your car is good for 45's after some practice.

Good luck and the car looks great!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kary: So I've been told. I was politely chastised and told if I cleaned up my driving with increased smoothness and slightly better lines, I should be down to 1:48 or less by a driver who's judgement I trust after he rode with me (and he's been pretty acturate so far). It's a car I plan to grow into. I'm a bit humbled by the notion that there are fast drivers and fast cars and the two are not necessarily directly correlated. I now have a very fast car and need to learn to be a better/faster driver. I'm told the car should be able to get 1:57's at Thunderhill. As I know that track, I'll find out how much I have to improve in a couple weeks.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:02 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Tom:

Your car is visually stunning. I love the color. Please keep the shiny side up!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

That car looks tough as nails. Congrats!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow Tom! You've taken The Turtle over to the dark side. It looks very mean and quick; you're going to have to have tons of fun learning the car all over again....
General rule, make only one suspension change at a time, then made additional adjustments as necessary. You'll know then which change lossened you up the most. I would imagine you'll want that rear bar full stiff, and much softer up front....

What size rims/tires are you running? They look great combined with that monster wing back there....

Congrats again, look forward to seeing you...
Old 02-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Tom,
Looks great! I think my old car was at Infineon over the weekend. probably looks very similar to your car now.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg: I don't recall seeing it, but then I was a bit self-obsessed this weekend.

JR: The rims are 11" and 13" (Jongbloed) to run the spec 10.5 and 12" bias ply R600 slicks. It weighs 2535 with 1/8 of a tank and no driver. More weight could be lost but that was our starting point. The engine (built last year) makes 294 at the flywheel on the engine dyno (limited by air intake/class rules). I was in favor of only a tweak to the front sway to get rid of some high-speed push, but the advice I got was to do both and evaluate from there. I'll see how it feels at Thunderhill in 2 weeks. IIRC, my bars are 25 and 23 and full firm in the back with that combo makes the (old version) car waaaay to tail happy. I had been running at full soft in the back and expect to return there. Are you only doing POC and PCA or will you join us for a few PRC races?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:47 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom W
Kary: So I've been told. I was politely chastised and told if I cleaned up my driving with increased smoothness and slightly better lines, I should be down to 1:48 or less by a driver who's judgement I trust after he rode with me (and he's been pretty acturate so far). It's a car I plan to grow into. I'm a bit humbled by the notion that there are fast drivers and fast cars and the two are not necessarily directly correlated. I now have a very fast car and need to learn to be a better/faster driver. I'm told the car should be able to get 1:57's at Thunderhill. As I know that track, I'll find out how much I have to improve in a couple weeks.
Tom, it is hard to achieve the times that these cars can do once the weight and size of tires comes out. It takes a lot of practice to get the times. I remember when I first started out on big tracks in my car I thought I was moving around pretty good....today I am much faster....and tomorrow I am sure I will get even faster. It is a long journey but fun to take. I would love to widen out my car like you did with yours!!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Stunning car !
Old 02-27-2006, 11:35 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Fantastic car. Good Fun Driving to you!!! Here in Wi we have a ways to go before the season starts. (I'm just a DE guy, but I'm so jealous).
Old 02-28-2006, 03:46 AM
Dennis K
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Tom, what a transformation! For those who haven't seen a "before" picture, this is the old turtle just a few months ago:

That old rear spoiler is the height of modesty in comparison. Can't wait to see to see the new and improved version in person.

Quick Reply: Car Project Completed (Pictures)