Sponsored by:

Kumho V700 Ecsta's

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well,
I love the Toyos. Not for their grip as there are many stickier tires. I love them because they last along time and ar pretty consistant over their life. When running a spec tire you don't need outright grip, but low price, consistancy and long life are the things that make drivers happy.

Those things are pretty good for DE folks too.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:54 PM
dnitake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bobt993,
Never run MPSC's before. Have just read other's comments on them regarding getting them up to temp. They seem to be very popular w/ the 996 crowd. I've run only on the Dunlop SSR's and want to step up to something more sticky. Hence this thread w/ the V700's.
I was just wondering about MPSC usage on a "light" car (944).
Old 02-27-2006, 08:26 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan, I have run the alot of different tires: hoosier, dunlop, pirelli, kumho, avon, and Michelin. I bet alot of Rennlisters have run twice as many as that. The fastest is the Hoosiers, then the Avon/Michelin. Warm up is very different in all three. For your heavy car, I would run Michelins and spend the extra money. I would suggest getting the car set up to avoid cording the tires, but only if you are doing alot of track driving. ie; I think I logged 200 street miles on my car last year and almost 5k on the track. I would hate to see you waste your money and learn the hard way (like the rest of us did).
Old 02-27-2006, 09:12 PM
dnitake
Racer

bobt993:
Thanks for the help. I've come to that conclusion myself the way this thread has progressed about popping for some KNOWN GOOD tires. I don't always win the cheapskate war...
5000 miles, huh? You got me by 4000 miles. Better prep my wife. "But honey, all the other guys drive 5000 miles, ya know...", said in my best Sam Kinison voice. :-)
Old 02-27-2006, 09:47 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnitake
bobt993:
Thanks for the help. I've come to that conclusion myself the way this thread has progressed about popping for some KNOWN GOOD tires. I don't always win the cheapskate war...
5000 miles, huh? You got me by 4000 miles. Better prep my wife. "But honey, all the other guys drive 5000 miles, ya know...", said in my best Sam Kinison voice. :-)
You either need to be single or do what I did. Get your wife to start driving. My wife sits in her office at work Jones'n for track time. She will be ready for instructors school next year at her rate of progression. Only problems: your car magazine will go missing she will start looking at your lap times to see if she's catching up; and she will want her own car (already), then yours if its faster(just happened) and for all the added expense.... there's mastercard.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:30 PM
dnitake
Racer

LOL! Didn't think women like that actually existed!!! Uhhh, let me know if you're getting divorced. Better yet, let's do that Wife Swap TV show thing and w/ the money, she can stipulate it all goes into the car kitty. Just kidding, in case you're all possessive which you should be.
Funny though, my wife used to hang out at Pocono Raceway as a kid which her uncle used to be the accountant for. I used to have to keep a leash on her w/ respect to adventure sports, until kids that is. Anyways, thanks again for the laugh...
Old 02-27-2006, 10:47 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

LOL! Didn't think women like that actually existed!!! laugh...
Pocono area? Dan if your in the Pa. area still, drop in on the RTR PCA group. We have alot of woman drivers that have fun (including kids). One drives a mean 996TT pumping out 500 rear wheel hp. They can talk about cars, Gucci, and Anne Taylor in the same sentence. No stereotypes here. Warning, your wife would be hooked (been there, done that).
Old 02-28-2006, 09:38 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ok , 1 more time , Has anyone here been running the Khumo V710 !
likes , dislikes will they last the weekend like the victor racers .
Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bobt993,
Never run MPSC's before. Have just read other's comments on them regarding getting them up to temp. They seem to be very popular w/ the 996 crowd. I've run only on the Dunlop SSR's and want to step up to something more sticky. Hence this thread w/ the V700's.
I was just wondering about MPSC usage on a "light" car (944).
I have a 996 and a 944. The MPSCs work great on the 996, but they are awful on the 944. I personally found it very difficult to get any heat in the MPSCs in the 944. I think the car is just too light. As a consequence, the rear end would try to pop out 3-4 times each corner, with little warning. I would avoid the MPSCs on a 944. I run Toyo RA1s for DEs, and I used them for my first races. I "may" try Hoosiers for my next race.

I love the Toyos on the 944.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 AM
dnitake
Racer

bobt993:
"They can talk about cars, Gucci, and Anne Taylor in the same sentence."
I've got to show your post to my wife!! LOL. She's from a little town called Tunkhannock near Scranton and went to school at East Stroudsburg. We're now in Santa Cruz, CA. My goal is to just get her to hang out a bit in the pits. Seeing other women drivers may get her kickstarted like you say. That said, I wonder if I'd ever get to drive her 996TT monster when she makes me hock my car?? :-)
Riesentoter. What part of PA are you in?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the V700's on my 986 and they blistered. Grip was ok, but not great and as a result of the blistering they didn't last very long.

I use MPSC's now and they have been great. Good grip and long life!
Old 03-01-2006, 10:57 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Riesentoter is in the Greater Philadelphia area.

Quick Reply: Kumho V700 Ecsta's