Advice on Brakes for DE...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Question Advice on Brakes for DE...

Yes, I've searched the archives, but can't seem to draw a clear conclusion. Here's my situation:

996TT stock that I run 2-3 DE's per season. At Road America with ATE Blue and OEM brakes, I experienced some fade and pad transfer to the rotors. Both cleared themselves up on the 325 mile drive home. For this season, I had planned on installing fresh OEM pads and change / bleed the fluid. I've begun to wonder:

1. Is there a better dual purpose street / DE pad that I could use? If so which brand and spec? Pagid, Hawk, Perf Friction etc?

2. Should I go with a dual purpose pad all the time or just switch out pads before / after my DE's?

3. If I go with a non OEM pad, can I use my stock rotors, or do I need rotors dedicated to the DE pad? Will I have problems with material transfer if I bed new DE pads on my stock rotors?

4. Should I consider changing to a DE pad on the rear as well or is it sufficient to change just the front brake pads?

5. Will the GT3 front brake ducts (turning vanes) fit in place of those used on the Turbo? I suspect that they are a little bigger and more affective.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I'd hate to bump into you because my brakes faded.

Cheers,
Old 02-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. I don't believe in a "dual purpose" brake pad for heavy, high power cars.

2. Switch pads for DE.

3. Use the same rotors. Pad transfer is desireable and what "bedding-in" new pads is all about. Excess pad transfer is bad, causing the rotors to feel as if they are warped. When you swap pads, a few bedding stops will transfer the materail and you will be fine.

4. Change all 4, it is simple to do.

5. I have no idea.

Yes, you WOULD hate to "bump into" me because your brakes faded!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:14 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As Bull, sad, run proper pads for DE. Switch when driving on the street if you don't like the squeal. I found Motul to be more resistant to fade than ATE Blue. Just change it frequently.

I run Pagid Yellows on my turbo. Expensive, but have worked very well.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:13 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. 2. it;s easy to change out pads. use track pads, get your hands dirty and DIY

3. yes, you can use your stock rotors. i've found that brake deposits will be removed in a day or two of street driving using the track pads.

4. i got away with using oem pads in the rear but it's 3000~400 lbs lighter than yours.

5. yes, the gt3 ducts fit on the turbo. sharkster has used them on his 996TT.

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
...I found Motul to be more resistant to fade than ATE Blue. Just change it frequently.

I run Pagid Yellows on my turbo. Expensive, but have worked very well.
i concur about ATE fluid and yellow pads.

i just flushed the system with super blue, replacing motul 600, for this past weekend's DE at sear point. i've never experienced a soft pedal with motul 600 (even in high ambient temps) but i did experience it with the ATE... and it was cool all weekend. i'll be trying castrol srf for the next event.

yellow rs19 pads worked great and are easy on my rotors and last longer than orange pads so the expense is kinda offset.

Last edited by karlooz; 02-26-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the insights from your experience!

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Advice on Brakes for DE...