wheel spacer question/advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:38 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default wheel spacer question/advice

I need to run a set of 35mm spaces. Problem is that my current studs are only long enough for a 21mm spacer.
So my choices are:

Replace the 10 studs and use a standard 35mm spacer. This is the higher cost and time option.

Buy one of those adapter spacers, the one's you bolt on and have their own studs. This would require me to cut the existing studs shorter.

So which one would be the better/stronger option for the track car?

FYI- I will be using 18 X 12" wheels and 335 tires.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:59 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll chime in with my two cents.

I would change your studs and get the 35 mm spacers.

I just wouldn't feel comfortable knowing I had TWENTY lug nuts holding TWO wheels on myself.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Porsche factory used/uses the bolt on adapters, with the new studs embedded in them. As an example, the 993 C2S came standard with 17" Cup II wheels, just like the narrow bodies. Adapters were used by the factory to accommodate the wide-body. Only the earliest cars came in with 17s, as the dealers quickly recognized that they could make the "optional" 18s a standard on the orders.

Most of the spacer/adapter manufacturers have a max. width that they recommend for spacers, then advise that you go to bolt on adapters beyond that. It appears that the H&R website calls for spacers up to 25mm, then adapters over that width. Remember to regularly torque the lug nuts on the adapters also if you use them.

Quick Reply: wheel spacer question/advice