Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are some protection modifications to increase longevity and eliminate breakage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:11 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are some protection modifications to increase longevity and eliminate breakage?

Last time out at Infineon my tranny must have been getting hot because as I was coming into one of the hairpins I missed my heel/toe and I couldn't shift into second, it just wouldn't go into gear. This kind of scared me because I really don't have a ton of money to fix trannys or engines. Is this a sign it may be going out soon?

Then I started thinking about what items I can get to increase longevity. I know about the 3rd radiator, does this help? Would a dry sump oiling system help? What about a trans cooler, do they even make those for the 996? Any other ideas?

Should I cut my sessions short a little say 10mins instead of 20?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:18 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I can tell you what happened at the track. I have seen it many times. You need to get into second and move the stick into the reverse gate. Since you are trying to pull back, the reverse gate has no travel in that direction and the stick is stuck! I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:06 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

It also could just be a clutch adjustment issue.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,816 Likes on 2,384 Posts

3rd radiator will help so is tranny cooloer, but if you are DE not racing, youdont need them.
i had a 996C2 2004, i do LOTS of DE, like 6k miles a year on the track.
i often times drive 50 min non stop, if you dont drive that much and that long a stint, you didn't really heat up the tranny that much in needing aux tranny coolers. you may consider different tranny fluid.

Quick Reply: What are some protection modifications to increase longevity and eliminate breakage?