Turbo techniques on track vs NA cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXDOC
The best way to attack a corner is to apex LATE, which helps launch the TT down the straight. The sooner you can get off the brakes and get on the gas, the better.

I drive a modified 944 TS and I apex every corner late so that, when you hit the apex you are spooled and have max acceleration. I also have LSD.

I tried to show this to another instructor who drove a 2.7 liter N/A 944 car. She wanted me to drive the N/A line which, like all underpowered cars, it's best to apex early.

I couldn't convince her about the turbo line, so we timed the best lap at LRP in her car with the N/A line, changed to my car and went 1-3 sec faster per lap apexing late. She was quite surprised.

She was also surprised in the difference in power.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest difference that I have found with turbo vs N/A is that the turbos do not have that instant power and torque to set the back of the car when you turn in. When you have entered the turn, and the car starts to rotate, and you go for the gas to set it, the turbo car will not be able to hookup the back right away. Therefore, you have to be going slower at that point of the turn. That and taking a later line because you have to allow for the onrush of power makes you even slower in the beginning of the turn.

I have found that big power, either turbo or N/A really does make huge differences in your lines. My son in his 300 hp 944 Turbo S could actually take earlier lines in some places than I could with my GT3. But he certainly was slower on turn entry.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-19-2006, 11:10 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup... we had two modified 944 T's ( 350hp. & 370 hp.), very well driven with the Tenn. POC club...

they Late Apexed almost every corner.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:19 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The biggest difference that I have found with turbo vs N/A is that the turbos do not have that instant power and torque to set the back of the car when you turn in. When you have entered the turn, and the car starts to rotate, and you go for the gas to set it, the turbo car will not be able to hookup the back right away. Therefore, you have to be going slower at that point of the turn. That and taking a later line because you have to allow for the onrush of power makes you even slower in the beginning of the turn.

I have found that big power, either turbo or N/A really does make huge differences in your lines. My son in his 300 hp 944 Turbo S could actually take earlier lines in some places than I could with my GT3. But he certainly was slower on turn entry.
Larry...apologize for the OT...I have watched your GT3 video at WG several times and really enjoyed it. Trying to learn...thanks for posting it.

Quick Reply: Turbo techniques on track vs NA cars