Sponsored by:

Vintage Porsche Racing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage Porsche Racing Questions

I currently run DE and time trial events in a 1997 993TT. I want to start racing wheel-to-wheel in an entry-level VARA or HSR class. I was hoping somebody could help me with a few questions:

What is the best VARA and HSR class for a beginning racer to start in?

What is the least expensive class to race and maintain?

Where is the best place to find an entry-level vintage Porsche, set up for VARA or HSR racing?

Or, should I buy a stock 67-69 911 or 912 for $10K, plug in a roll cage, fire system, seats, harnesss, etc, and rock and roll!

I would certainly appreciate everyone's opinions on this.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Craig,

I can talk to you about HSR "east" not "HSR West". There are some HSR West and VARA racers over at Pelican who might be able to better help you as well as a reputed builder (and accomplished racer) over there.

I have been through the building process and I would recommend that you either commit and have a pro shop build a car for you or, buy someone else's car. From my experience, you are looking at a minimum of $50K for a somewhat competitive 2 liter 911 to over $130K (I won't tell you where I am in that range in an open forum but my engine costs more than a lot of cars ).

If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive class to run in, I'd say stay away from the 2 liter classes. Parts are limited and getting power from them is quite expensive. Other "more common" engine sizes are more reasonably priced.

Drop me a line if you care to learn a bit more from my perspective ( ervikingo at gmail.com ).

Hope I'm not scaring you away...... but I'm a CPA by trade and a racer by passion. Its a hard combination to have, kind of manic depressive.

Cheers, Juan
Old 02-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Thanks for the input Juan,

I went down and spoke to Ray at Ray Stephens Automotive today. He is active in VARA west and takes care of several active VARA racer's cars. He had some good advice as well. I'm going to start off in the C1 class. I can always upgrade from there.

After several years of running a 993TT at Willow Springs, I think starting in the slowest vintage class will be a little disappointing at first, but I think it's still best if I start there (for my confidence as well as my wallet).
Old 02-14-2006, 06:57 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Craig, what kinds of times does a 993TT run at Willow? (That sounds a little like a loaded question, but I honestly don't know.)

The Pelican Racing and Autocross board has a lot of VARA guys on it. I've driven with them, and I can't imagine anyone finding that kind of traffic disappointing.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:19 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Trask
Thanks for the input Juan,

I went down and spoke to Ray at Ray Stephens Automotive today. He is active in VARA west and takes care of several active VARA racer's cars. He had some good advice as well. I'm going to start off in the C1 class. I can always upgrade from there.

After several years of running a 993TT at Willow Springs, I think starting in the slowest vintage class will be a little disappointing at first, but I think it's still best if I start there (for my confidence as well as my wallet).
Absolute speed has little to do with the excitement of racing vs. DE. I had a 'breathed on' TT and an SRF at the same time. The SRF would top out at ~110 (115 with a good draft) at Willow and it was way more exciting to race that than to drive the TT around the track.

Now, why vintage and why a Porsche?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Craig, what kinds of times does a 993TT run at Willow? (That sounds a little like a loaded question, but I honestly don't know.)

The Pelican Racing and Autocross board has a lot of VARA guys on it. I've driven with them, and I can't imagine anyone finding that kind of traffic disappointing.
Jack,

I ran a 1:35 best, but tend to average 1:36-1:37 with a stock motor and weight, R compound tires, and M030, but I know a guy who ran a 1:34 in a bone stock 993TT.

I didn't mean to say that vintage racing would be "disappointing" at all. I think any wheel-to-wheel racing must be exhilarating. Any competition in cars classed on a level playing field is exciting regardless of HP. I simply meant my lap times in the mid 1:40s would be a personal adjustment.

I want to start in the slowest of the vintage classes. I think that's more considerate to the experienced drivers. Once I get some wheel-to-wheel seat time, I can always move up.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:00 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I think the quicker VARA guys are in the 1:32-1:36 range, so the change shouldn't be too dramatic. And the amazing thing is that they do it with no wings or other aero help. They slide all over the place through eight and nine.

I think your plan makes sense. Even a mid-1:40's lap in a light, low-hp car is going to feel pretty exhilarating.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Absolute speed has little to do with the excitement of racing vs. DE. I had a 'breathed on' TT and an SRF at the same time. The SRF would top out at ~110 (115 with a good draft) at Willow and it was way more exciting to race that than to drive the TT around the track.

Now, why vintage and why a Porsche?
SundayDriver, I agree. That's why I'm going to try racing.

I want "vintage" because I love old cars and assume the vintage racers are in it more for the fun and nostalgia. Additional, I had a cervical fusion in 2000. The vintage racers statistically don't crash as often.

"why Porsche"...I'm a Porsche guy, have always been a Porsche guy, and have a serious Porsche vs. Alfa Romeo rivalry with a neighbor.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

The VARA cars are some of the coolest looking racers you'll ever see:

You should definitely go to one of their events and introduce yourself around. It'll give you an idea of what the drivers are like, and if it's a good fit for you. All of the VARA guys I've met have been great.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mmmm, C Production. Ran that class in the late '60s, early '70s! Interesting to be "vintage" now....Hmmmm.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:12 PM
mdbickell
Instructor

I agree w/ Jack... the vintage cars are definately the coolest looking out there. I've sat up at the Balcony @ Willow watching and they put on a great show.

If you're not completely sold on vintage, you may want to take a look at POC. I've been timetrialing w/ POC and I'm in the process of stepping up to racing. The POC is a top-notch organization and has a great safety record. They're definately worth checking out.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:54 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Craig Trask
SundayDriver, I agree. That's why I'm going to try racing.

I want "vintage" because I love old cars and assume the vintage racers are in it more for the fun and nostalgia. Additional, I had a cervical fusion in 2000. The vintage racers statistically don't crash as often.

"why Porsche"...I'm a Porsche guy, have always been a Porsche guy, and have a serious Porsche vs. Alfa Romeo rivalry with a neighbor.
Given that, vintage is probably the best place - they are pretty serious about no contact. I would look hard at the classes and find one that has a lot of cars - that is going to make the racing best. Then make sure you get a car that is competitive in that class. It can really destroy some of the drive when your car is outclassed.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:01 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JackOlsen

Even though the speeds are outrageous at Willow, I have never thought of it as a horsepower track - rather it is the ultimate momentum track. You blow a corner and you pay for a long, long time. When I was playing with my TT, after the HP mods, I only picked up about a second. You get higher speeds, but then you brake earlier. After mods, I could hit what I think was a real 160 mph (speedo showed closer to 170). I think my best laps were in the 28's but that was pushing a street car harderr than I should and killed left rear tires in about 2-3 sessions.

Quick Reply: Vintage Porsche Racing Questions