Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone recommend a decent tire pyrometer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:26 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can anyone recommend a decent tire pyrometer?

I want to get a decent tire pyrometer so I can dial in my sway bars when I get them installed. I was reading that you want slightly more heat on the inside with outside and middle being about the same. I am sure there is some super sweet one for $400 bucks but I don't need that. I am just looking for something decent. Any recommendations?
Old 02-10-2006, 02:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've used this one for a couple of years (mainly on my son's kart) and have been very happy with performance and reliability:
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=875&catid=7

The Pyrometer Tips and Probe vs. Infrared applicaiton notes on this page are good reading as well
Old 02-10-2006, 02:05 PM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy mine. It is an Intercomp #360019 shown here. It works well and is in very good condition. I'm selling because I just don't use it much anymore since I only am doing a couple track days per year. $55 plus shipping. PM me if interested.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Either of these will work well. The used on for $55 is a deal.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:11 PM
gieseja
Rennlist Member

PM sent.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:15 PM
mds
Pro

Item sold. Thanks Rennlist.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:27 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
I want to get a decent tire pyrometer so I can dial in my sway bars when I get them installed. I was reading that you want slightly more heat on the inside with outside and middle being about the same. I am sure there is some super sweet one for $400 bucks but I don't need that. I am just looking for something decent. Any recommendations?
While a pyrometer is a good tool (and you have good suggestions about what to use) I don't think there is any tunable relationship between tire temps and sway bar settings.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Mark is right. You could see if your front temps are significantly hotter than rears (understeer), or rears are significantly hotter than fronts (oversteer); but these are symptoms that are pretty easy for the driver to feel.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:37 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

You guys are probably right since I'm a racing newb but I was reading on www.nsxprime.com in their FAQ and they were talking about it. Say you have your sway bars on full soft front and back. You'll have a tremendous amount of body roll and the outside of your tires will be super hot in comparison. Or if you have them full stiff with greater than 2 degrees of camber the inside of the tires will heat up more in comparison to the outside. So you can dial in the sway bar settings by getting the inside, middle and outside of the tire all the same. The center relative to the outside/inside will have more to do with tire pressure. That was my understanding but I could be wrong.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:50 PM
mds
Pro

It is true that camber does change with body roll and so less or more roll may change a tires temp distribution (ie bump camber). But this is a second order effect, at least for a street car. A much more direct change on tire temp is wheel alignment and tire pressure. This is what you want to do first, IMO, assuming that the sway bars are already set for a roughly neutral car.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:09 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
You guys are probably right since I'm a racing newb but I was reading on www.nsxprime.com in their FAQ and they were talking about it. Say you have your sway bars on full soft front and back. You'll have a tremendous amount of body roll and the outside of your tires will be super hot in comparison. Or if you have them full stiff with greater than 2 degrees of camber the inside of the tires will heat up more in comparison to the outside. So you can dial in the sway bar settings by getting the inside, middle and outside of the tire all the same. The center relative to the outside/inside will have more to do with tire pressure. That was my understanding but I could be wrong.
That is only going to happen on a very poorly designed suspension. Camber gain is a design parameter to minimize this effect. Camber gain is simply intentional changes in camber as the suspension travels through it's range of motion.

If your temp profile is off, then you want to fix it through a combination of camber changes and tire pressures. I would not personally pay any attention to tire temp vs. sway bar settings.

Quick Reply: Can anyone recommend a decent tire pyrometer?