Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's be honest . . . just how risky is this sport?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=bobt993]
Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
If you really want to stay safe, you can do what I do when I can't get the track during the offseason. I've never been hurt doing this, except when I tripped over the electrical wires:

Hey, Bigpinekey, why the edit in going through Hatzenbach at the ring? My guess is you hit wall on the left outside (major carnage). . I need to get that setup for my PS2.
Oh, yea, I hit the walls a couple of times. I can't drive that thing with a helmet and the scratched visor pulled down . It was short for a couple of reasons. First, it was a joke so I didn't put a lot of time into it. Second, I have so many different videos on my website I have to be judicious in allocating bandwidth or my ISP will start raising heck about my useage.

Yea, the seat and pedals are the way to drive these simulators.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:00 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Although this bit of info is not related to my original intent for the thread, I "think" I got my wife to agree to attend the HPDC with Potomac in my 996. Oh Betty, Starla . . . . !!!!!

Great news! Even if it is not her thing . . . it will give her a better understanding of what you do. I'm sure the the folks at Potomac (especially the ladies) will take good care of her
Old 02-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking Die in your bed..........or,...

consider how many folks die of total boredom, lack of passion about anything. Its the old story of how folks retire, have nothing to do anymore with the exception of "Honey Do" chores, and simply wither up and die.

Whoops...just read your post, wifey may go to HPDE! Great...if she is in any way prone to motion sickness, get her dramamine (spelling?) or some other such pill. She'll be riding in the passenger seat...you'll be riding in the passenger seat...it can be a puke'r as some of us know. Might wamt to take one yourself if you are the passenger!

I met Dick Gulfstrand the other day, the master Corvette builder. He is 80 years old and goes to the shop every day. He is passionate about his work, his vice some might say.

I do six to eight TT a year and managed a Racers Clinic last year with another coming up in June....agreed, I may be a little out of balance but a significant amount of the day, I am thinking about cars, racing, talking to car pals, considering mods....it is a significant bit of my identity...its what I love. Of course I love my wife and kids...but I love my hobby too. And the job...its there...its a job, work they call it.

How many golfers drink themselves to death every year? There are a million illustrations...but the best bet is to have the latest and greatest safety gear.
The latest 5/6 point polyester belts CORRECTLY installed with the shoulder belts at the proper angle across horizonal mounting bar, the lightest full face helmet with a HANS device, a racing seat, seat back brace, drivers suit, gloves, socks and shoes...and of course a roll bar, better yet a cage.

Racing is more dangerous in our club because there are no passing restrictions...drivers are extremely competitive, BUT, they must not contact another car or risk 13 months probabtion...if they screw up during the 13 months probation, its a 13 month suspension.

I feel your pain...one of wifey and my worst fights was at a restaurant, about the time the bill came, and she started in on the racing, the car, etc.. I walked out and left her there...not cool. Fortunately our hotel was just a block away...it was a long cold night.

Last edited by Martin S.; 02-08-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Although this bit of info is not related to my original intent for the thread, I "think" I got my wife to agree to attend the HPDC with Potomac in my 996. Oh Betty, Starla . . . . !!!!!
This is great news. Once she's had a chance to get out there and do it, she'll have a much greater understanding of the whole gig.

Folks who have never tried it definitely don't understand.

On the other hand--you may be buying A LOT more brake pads and gas....

Old 02-08-2006, 09:05 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Bigpinekey][QUOTE=bobt993]

Oh, yea, I hit the walls a couple of times. Hey, I have notes (4pages) for driving the ring. These are from the chief test drivers from BMW we were given when I drove the Nurburgring with my wife last year. If you PM me a fax number, I can send them to you.

Quick Reply: Let's be honest . . . just how risky is this sport?