Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isaac H&N claims they exceed SFI 38.1 requirements

Old 02-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4master
I still don't understand why any organization, especially an amatuer based one, would want to specify a specific H&N restraint as required equipment to race. I'm no lawyer but it seems that instead of CYA, it just opens that organization to litigation in the case of injury or fatality with the argument being that the required unit did not prevent the injury or fatality when perhaps another could.
Don't you think merely specifying a H&N device and not requireing it to meet a minimum standard open them up to even more liability? All other safety equipment in the car is req'd to meet certain standards by almost every governing body around why no this one too? What happens when there is no min. standard req'd and some guy dies while wearing a foam neck collar - because that is a H&N device, or uses some HANS replica device he made in his garage out of fiberglass? I'm no lawyer either but these seem to be bigger issues from a CYA point of view.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:02 PM
4master
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,
My point is that they should not specify a H&N restraint. In my humble opinion, that opens up an organization to more liability because the organization is saying that one is better than the other and when a driver is seriously injured or killed wearing that device, his family could claim that another device (or no device) would have prevented the injury or death. Beyond certain basic safety requirements (cage, belts, helmet, suit, gloves and shoes) why mandate a H&N restraint? Leave it to the driver whether he wants to wear one or not. If a driver is fool enough to build one in his garage and he can get it through tech, that's his dumb a$$ on the line.

Again, no amount of safety equipment will remove all risk of injury or death. If you wear a HANS, great. If I wear an Isaac, great. If Bob wears an R3, great. Any of these devices will reduce the risk of a BSF.

And for the record, a foam collar is not a H&N restraint - it's merely a support.

See you in Sebring.

Scott Foremaster/1985.5 I class 944/#909/Partridge Family Racing
Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Gregg - why don't you just partner with a belt company to make a belt/Isaac combo that has a single point of release? Could easily be done with some cables (ala kill switches) that run up the outside of the belts to the Isaac connect points. Then you just flip the belt disconnect, and the Isaac falls off too.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:06 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 38D
Gregg - why don't you just partner with a belt company to make a belt/Isaac combo that has a single point of release? Could easily be done with some cables (ala kill switches) that run up the outside of the belts to the Isaac connect points. Then you just flip the belt disconnect, and the Isaac falls off too.
Sush! Didn't you get the memo?!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:27 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all;

RE: Release/egress - I feel the single release clause is crap. I own a HANS. I get tangled on a fairly regular basis, and I don't even have a cage. I have cut my helmet halo shorter on the driver's side to help with this. If I get to the point where egress issues bother me greatly, I will purchase the release tether system... just in case. I don't see the R3 as being substantially different in this case, notwithstanding Kurt's sage emergency concerns.

RE: CYA - I feel the best way for recreational/amateur groups to accomplish the goal of keeping drivers safe re: H&N devices is to provide guidance, not decree. I do not feel PCA should mandate a certain device, for instance. I do most certainly feel that they should give members the information to make their own informed decisions. Post the performance specs of all known and "credible" devices, and you will CLEARLY see whether you want a HANS, Isaac, R3, Wright, or G-Force.

Where PCA is concerned, I am trying my damndest to make it happen.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting how everyone is willing to accept minimum required standards for "old school" safety devices - harnesses, helmets, etc. but not for the new inventions. Does anyone think a racing body such as PCA and others should not specify a min. standard for helmets? I'm sure we'd see people showing up with bicycle or skate board helmets at DEs. Why is it okay to madate helmets, seat belts, seats, driving suits, gloves, fire extinguishers but not H&N devices? Why should governing bodies allow everyone the freedom of choice to even use or not use these devices if they can save lives?

While the new technology H&N devices certainly come in many forms and styles that does not negate the fact that there are standards out there for them. Since there are safe devices that do not meet the standards I think we need to lobby the standards bodies to create new and better standards not just ignore setting requirements.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:08 AM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rick964
Interesting how everyone is willing to accept minimum required standards for "old school" safety devices - harnesses, helmets, etc. but not for the new inventions. Does anyone think a racing body such as PCA and others should not specify a min. standard for helmets? I'm sure we'd see people showing up with bicycle or skate board helmets at DEs. Why is it okay to madate helmets, seat belts, seats, driving suits, gloves, fire extinguishers but not H&N devices? Why should governing bodies allow everyone the freedom of choice to even use or not use these devices if they can save lives?

While the new technology H&N devices certainly come in many forms and styles that does not negate the fact that there are standards out there for them. Since there are safe devices that do not meet the standards I think we need to lobby the standards bodies to create new and better standards not just ignore setting requirements.

You state the same statement each time. Some do not believe a device should be mandated, some believe they should be mandated but left to the user to select, while others want it mandated both to use and which device. The bottom line here is the standard being used is flawed as outlined in this thread. A single release point is not saving anyone, getting trapped because of a device could kill someone even if it is a single release device. The standard needs to be changed to be reasonable and provide value. The single release clause does not provide value. The Isaac provides value without danger and it performs a higher safety levels, yet it is possible these club bodies might eliminate it from their member possibilities for a device. That is plain wrong!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:01 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by kary993
A single release point is not saving anyone, getting trapped because of a device could kill someone even if it is a single release device. The standard needs to be changed to be reasonable and provide value. The single release clause does not provide value. The Isaac provides value without danger and it performs a higher safety levels, yet it is possible these club bodies might eliminate it from their member possibilities for a device. That is plain wrong!
I actually think the single release does provide value. Having been inverted, I can tell you it's hard enough to undo the belts, let along something attached to the helmet. To me, the flaw with the current spec is that is does not dictate the ease/time of egress for exiting the car.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:59 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

The good thing about the HANS is that all of the workers are very familiar with what it is and what difficulties it presents. The Isaacs device on the other hand............
Old 02-07-2006, 10:03 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally Posted by mitch236
The good thing about the HANS is that all of the workers are very familiar with what it is and what difficulties it presents. The Isaacs device on the other hand............

In some cases, don't the emergency workers just cut the harnesses/straps anyways? How would what H&N system someone is using matter is these cases?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by 38D
I actually think the single release does provide value. Having been inverted, I can tell you it's hard enough to undo the belts, let along something attached to the helmet. To me, the flaw with the current spec is that is does not dictate the ease/time of egress for exiting the car.
Hmmm.....

Hadn't thought about being inverted. I have to wonder about potential for harm if someone was inverted with an Isaac and forgot to undo the QR on the Isaac before undoing the harness.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:05 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
In some cases, don't the emergency workers just cut the harnesses/straps anyways? How would what H&N system someone is using matter is these cases?
Yes, but if they cut below the adjustment buckle, the Isaacs would be stuck.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geo
Hmmm.....

Hadn't thought about being inverted. I have to wonder about potential for harm if someone was inverted with an Isaac and forgot to undo the QR on the Isaac before undoing the harness.
That is very interesting,....what happens if you are inverted and undo the harness BEFORE undoing the isaac. I would think the rollers will roll down the shoulder belts and not choke someone. I would like gbaker to chime in on this.
Thanks.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Interesting disucssion.

How does being inverted effect the HANS device as well, I wonder? (IIRC, Colin didn't have his HANS yet when he flipped his '14.)

My guess is that units that are attached to the body, and are flush with the body (like the R3) are easier to manage when in 'not ideal' situations like being upside down, or leaning on one side.

-Z-man.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Benton
Drifting

I remember at the Indy 500 practice last year I believe, Sam Hornish, Jr. couldn't get out of his flipped car because his HANS was sticking into the infield grass like a shovel. Now add fire and semi-consciousness to the mix, and you have a pretty tough situation on your hands (not that this applies to sports cars).

I plan on buying a system before I start racing the 928, but I have no idea what I will buy yet. No options are ideal for my situation, and it seems like many people are in a similar position. I'd like a certified ISAAC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Isaac H&N claims they exceed SFI 38.1 requirements