Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Crawford chassis that much better? (Rolex Series DP's)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006 | 02:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Default Is the Crawford chassis that much better? (Rolex Series DP's)

Or the driver? Luhr is having his way it seems. Why is this Crawford chassis seemingly so much faster than the Fabcar?
Old 01-28-2006 | 02:59 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well...

Max Crawford is an awfully good aero guy.
Old 01-28-2006 | 03:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Well...

Max Crawford is an awfully good aero guy.
Well, it would be tough to argue that...
Old 01-28-2006 | 04:05 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It will obviously take more than a great chassis. That 20 minute cv change was not a good thing. It looks like one of the Playboy cars went behind the wall for the same, or similar issue. Interesting stuff.
Old 01-29-2006 | 07:40 PM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

It seems the Crawford is a little aerodynamically cleaner (must concur with RedlineMan) therefore a little better top speed, but it seems that the Riley has a little more downforce.....making the Crawford a little better on the long fast courses, but the Riley better on the short twisty ones.....and the Fabcar (now that they have cured their suspension gremlins) is proving to be somewhere in the middle.

Just my observations.....
Old 01-29-2006 | 09:16 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Well, considering that the Red Bull / Brumos Porsche Fabcar started in the back of the DP field, and made its way to 3rd place before the tire blowout during the final minutes of the race, I'd say the Fabcar's still a pretty awesome setup...

It's a shame that the hit with 15-ish minutes to go by the winning Target Chip Ganassi DP was probably the reason the tire gave way...

-Z.
Old 01-30-2006 | 07:19 PM
mikemdd
Racer

I watched the #23 Porsche from everywhere on the track. They were consistently 3-5 seconds a lap faster than any other car throughout the race (other than garage time). While aero design is certainly a factor (they were a rocketship on the high banks), they also kicked **ss everywhere else on the track. Aero + HP + setup + drivers = speed....they seemed to have had it all.

Mike
Old 01-30-2006 | 07:33 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In fact both Fabcar Porsches were really fast. I think Hurley needs to reevaluate his strategy, in terms of race pace. He made it clear locally that they had no intention of running up front, until near sunrise. I think that was a mistake. The cars that stayed tight with the leader seemed to be able to avoid most of the trouble. I can't help but think that you'd rather be in a fast up coming train of DP cars, rather than be a single closing on a few GT cars. Hard to know. Either way, it was GREAT to see Norbert Singer so invloved. Those cars should have a really good year.
Last fall Granison told me that Porsche NA has gotten very serious anout the DP program, and appears to be splitting their efforts equally between ALR and Brumos.
BTW, why didn't the Fabcar chassis suffer the same drive shaft issues? Anyone know?

Quick Reply: Is the Crawford chassis that much better? (Rolex Series DP's)