Sponsored by:

Brake-ending point and Trailbraking...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:24 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definetly put me on the list for that dvd/video

i have speed secrets and speed secrets 2, i think now is the time to reread those books again!
Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you enjoyed the first four...you need to read his 5th. Consider getting a coach, there is truely a great deal to it.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

There was an internet link posted a while ago that really illustrated the points made IE high speed corners – not upsetting the car – braking a little early for perfect entry. It showed M. Schumacher Vs a teammate ( I think it was Stowe corner at Silverstone) His data showed he braked sooner but was much faster from turn in to exit due to having the car right on the edge as shown by his small but constant steering as he danced through corner. The very European comment about team mate was he showed no lack of courage by going deeper but …..
I think it is time PCA DE stopped the strait line braking in ALL corners for beginners. This makes at least the third professional instructor I heard that advocates trail braking from day one! The others are Skip Barber and Derek Daly. I went through 3-4 day race schools several years ago with some VERY GREEN students and no one seemed to have a problem picking up the technique from the start. I think it is making our job much harder as instructors at the intermedate level and harder on the student to UNLEARN
Old 01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ross Bentley said, "You shouldn't necessarily TEACH trail braking when instructing a student very new to DE, but you also shouldn't 'NOT TEACH' it either." I hope that makes sense - I'm sorry if I can't explain this "teach/not teach" concept as well as he did.

-Z.

Last edited by Z-man; 01-25-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:42 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Ross Bentley said, "You shouldn't necessarily TEACH trail braking when instructing a student very new to DE, but you also shouldn't 'NOT TEACH' it either." I hope that makes sense - I'm sorry if I can't explain this "teach/not teach" concept as well as he did.

-Z.
Personally, I consider braking technique to be a "secondary skill" for novice drivers. By this I mean that until they become consistent in turning in and setting the car in a corner, any work on braking will really be wasted. As discussed above, braking should COMPLIMENT the corner entry... if corner enty is inconsistent you can never brake consistently.

All I usually look for is consistent braking.... as long as they are doing it at same way at the same spot every time, I generally don't want to over-coach the braking and confuse them...I perefer them to concentrate on balancing the car in the turns.

Once I see a student flowing around the track smootly manageing the car and consistently on line, then I may start encouraging them to experiment with deeper brake-points
Old 01-25-2006, 02:58 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with the Bently comment of if the novice student is already trailbraking fairly well, I don't discourage it but I don't push it either.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:35 PM
John Brown
Instructor

DE is not racing. DE instruction is not race school instruction. Driving the car home the same way it got there is the goal 100% of the time.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:43 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

John,

Don't you think that the proper use of trailbraking is entirely appropriate for DEs? I am not sure why it would not be a great technique to learn even if you have no intentions of racing.

TD
Old 01-25-2006, 04:05 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Brown
DE is not racing. DE instruction is not race school instruction. Driving the car home the same way it got there is the goal 100% of the time.

DE instruction is learning the proper techniques for driving a car on the track safely. I strongly believe that trailbraking is one of those techniques that should be taught when appropriate.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:57 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
John,

Don't you think that the proper use of trailbraking is entirely appropriate for DEs? I am not sure why it would not be a great technique to learn even if you have no intentions of racing.

TD

Trailbraking is an important and necessary skill for performance driving in any venue.... however, the student must master the basics before they start experimenating with this too seriously...
Old 01-25-2006, 05:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Trailbraking is an important and necessary skill for performance driving in any venue.... however, the student must master the basics before they start experimenating with this too seriously...
Of course. I just didn't understand the direct link John seemed to be making between trailbraking and racing.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:12 PM
sweanders
Race Director

I was thinking about the theory about concentrating on the end point of braking. I see a problem with it on most tracks because in the fast turns you have to start braking before you actually see the end point.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:37 PM
camber799
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Brown
I'm not sure why there would be a difference in instruction. If I was teaching racing I'd assume you could drive reasonably well already so that I could teach important race strategies including but not limited to: passing, defense, tire managment, etc. You should know how to trail brake before you race is my point.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:56 PM
ryoji
Advanced

Hi, Z-man. I can make DVD, CD or web download format from VHS, if you give me a copy. I know you work at my town. we may meet somewhere at the tice mall?

Last edited by ryoji; 01-25-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweanders
I was thinking about the theory about concentrating on the end point of braking. I see a problem with it on most tracks because in the fast turns you have to start braking before you actually see the end point.
Not sure why you feel that way. As Ross Bentley points out - very little or no trail braking is necessary for faster turns - thus, your braking should be completed before or around the turn in point, which would be visible on the proceeding straight.

That said, there are (slower) hairpin turns where some would argue that trail braking should be carried 'around the corner.' However, I think Ross Bentley was referring to the brake ending point as being the place where, if you're trailbraking into a corner, it's the point where you start going from full-braking to part braking/part turning - IE the turn-in point. So it's not the 'trail braking end point' you focus on, but rather the 'braking unitl you start turning' point. Like I said, that's my interpretation of what he's saying. I think that makes more sence, because there is definately a point where you begin to turn and are finished with most of your braking, whereas with trailbraking, the point at which you 'finish braking' is far less obvious.

-Z.

Quick Reply: Brake-ending point and Trailbraking...