Sponsored by:

V-nosed trailers

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 05:02 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Finally, some intelligence on the board! LOL!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Ok, now what difference will it make to the aerodynamics of towing a V-nose if I have:

A. Open pickup truck bed
B. Flat cap or tonneau cover over the bed
C. Full raised cap level with cab roof over the bed

Hmmm?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:39 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally, some intelligence on the board! LOL!
Yeah I thought the spare tire in the box was a good idea too!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Choice C, the full raised cap level with the cab, would be best. I don't have any equations or pretty pictures for this one but a big percentage of drag is caused by the flow separating. So if you have a cap that is even with the cab the flow will be attached all the way to the end of the truck before it separates, rather than separating just after the cab.

Actually, if you look at the first figure in the Coefficient of Drag chart I posted you can see that the drag coefficient of the prism with the base equal to the height is only 1.05, while the thin prism with the base infinitely larger than the height has a coefficient of 2.05. The flow on the thin prism separates first so it has more drag. This is probably why a lot of past Porsche racers like the 917 and the Moby Dick 935 ran a long tails at high speed tracks like Lemans.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Thank you Cory, my choice was "C", followd by "B", and "A" being undesireable even for maximum MPG in daily use. Thank you for the confirmation. Now I just need to find a good source for truck caps!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:56 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

I went for a TPD trailer, which has a wedge shaped nose section. It tows very well and doesn't move when a large truck passes me. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:39 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
and doesn't move when a large truck passes me.

You haven't been passed by a big enough truck! Sometimes I feel like I am getting pushed right off the road!
Old 02-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad this thread came back up. I called Wally at Trailer World about getting a new trailer. Toward the end of our conversation, I brought up wedge nose trailers. He is not an aero guy, but he knows trailers very well, and is a SCCA racer.

He said there is not gas millege gain with a Wedge nose, and that large trucks blow them all over. Don't everyone jump on me, but Wally is a trailer expert, and the above is his opinion. I'm going back to an open trailer, because I am tired of dragging a barn door through the air, and getting 8 mpg.

Bill Seifert
1987 944S Race Car
Old 02-18-2006, 12:56 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
I'm glad this thread came back up. I called Wally at Trailer World about getting a new trailer. Toward the end of our conversation, I brought up wedge nose trailers. He is not an aero guy, but he knows trailers very well, and is a SCCA racer.

He said there is not gas millege gain with a Wedge nose, and that large trucks blow them all over. Don't everyone jump on me, but Wally is a trailer expert, and the above is his opinion. I'm going back to an open trailer, because I am tired of dragging a barn door through the air, and getting 8 mpg.

Bill Seifert
1987 944S Race Car
I get 11 MPG using a Denali 6 litre engine pulling a v-Nose ATC 20' trailer. Pulls fine evenwith big trucks going find and handles well in the wind. It also has more storage per square foot of trailer foot print versus a non-V-nose if you use the v-nose up front. Would not ever get a non-V-nose trailer myself if I am buying an enclosed trailer!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my 24' TPD trailer today and brought it home (150 miles). It has a 'wedge' nose (not a v-nose). On the trip out, I got 15 mpg with the truck alone and on the trip home I got 12 mpg pulling the trailer ('06 2500HD Duramax). I passed a few semi trucks and the trailer didn't even quiver. What a smooth, easy tow! And the Allison transmission is wonderful for descending long steep hills - I never even had to hit the brakes. I'll have a couple short tows next week when I pick up the car and then drive up to Sears Point next weekend and will see how it tows loaded as opposed to empty (about 7500 vs. 4000 lbs). I can't imagine a loaded trailer getting blown more than an empty one though.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:32 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom,
I'm glad you like the trailer. The TPD sure tows very easily. I'll see you at Infineon.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:03 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My last trailer was a flat face and it is great except for the sharp turns (in a RV or a car)
thats the main reason to get a v nose / the 20ft old trailer vs 24 ft V nose to make up for the lost
room in the V - I could not use the hidden hitch torsion bar with the new V trailer so make me an offer if you get a flat front hauler -

Quick Reply: V-nosed trailers