Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 in ITS

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, I am sure you are right. I'm sure that a lot come from PCA also. But I'll bet a whole bunch just started racing to go to 944 Cup, and have never been anywhere else. I started 944's with PCA. I didn't quit because I was dissatisfied, but because their closest race closed, and I had to travel too far, to race. I can do 10 SCCA races and never travel more than 5 hours, and I can do 5 at Memphis, and that only takes 3 hours. But as you can see, middle Tennessee is not a hot bed of road racing activity. We only have 2 or 3 races in Nashville, and they are not sanctioned by anyone.

I'm just trying to find out how many did go from SCCA to 944 Cup.

Thanks for you input.

Bill
Old 01-24-2006, 06:05 PM
IPC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, there got to be one in every group. Just can't leave people alone. You can't be a good driver, you have to be cheating. The weight of the car was over 2900 without me in it and my weight is about 200 in race gear.So that is somewhere over 3100 lbs. The engine was stock and it is in Campbell's car now. I think it Dynoed at about 135 hp. Scott correct me if I am wrong!!! Please. Transmission was stock, but I think some others have run short ring and pinion's before, but I won't mention any names here. The new set up has not been run at Road A yet, other than a couple of practics laps but I have NEVER qualified the car for a fast lap. But I will assure you it WILL be below a 1:44. Well Below.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:26 PM
eagleone
3rd Gear

Kerry, The car dyno'ed at 131.7. The engine is an 88' and I could not tell much difference from the old 84."

Bill, Most of the racers in 944cup have come from some other venue. It seems most are from PCA. There are a few from the SCCA that were tired of not being competitive and moved over. NASA seems to fall somewhere in the middle of the SCCA and PCA. I think at VIR last year we had about 20 944's racing with the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast combined.

With one exception from last year, all the cars in the Southeast divison seem to be within the same specs. The exception car is no longer in the region.

It's a great group, you should join us.

Scott Campbell
Old 01-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kerry,

You are far below the norm but, it's not on the race track

Bill,

NASA SE is growing and learning as they go. I am very happy with what I see in a developing racing organization. But the orgaization is only as good as the people racing in it. We have a lot of fun racing in 944Cup and even more fun after the smoke clears. John Mock and crew are doing a very good job. If anyone else would like to step up from the peanut gallery, I'm sure John would be happy to step aside and let someone else have some fun.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:14 PM
IPC
Instructor

I hope to get back on the track some this year, this past year has been something eles. There has not been much time for the track but I think that will change now. I need to paint the car, I don't think I can pull off the Stealth look much longer. The Cup crew sounds like it will be fun. I found out just how political PCA is, I don't think I will go back. Let the Geezers have it.

See ya at the races
Old 01-24-2006, 09:19 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

BTW... the stock motor in my 944 spec car dynoed at 134 rwhp in it currnet build. In a previous build on a different dyno it made 131 rwhp. All from a junkyard type 140k+ motor. 9.5:1 CR motor.

Also based on the 944 spec cars I have seen those number are right where I would expect a stock 944 motor in a race car to be at. Yes 944 spec allows chips. The of course get us 2-3 hp at most.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Kerry, if you can go below a 1:44 with a 3,100 lb 944, why the heck don't you take it to 2575 lbs and run ITS.

By the way,you know if you beat anyone in the same kind of car, he is going to label you a cheater, it's unfair, but it just goes with the territory, I solve that problem by just being mediocre. I remember a couple of years ago, the same thing happened to Jon Grand. I ran against Jon at Rennsport II, and he was faster than me, but I don't think he was cheating. We were equal on the banking, but he cleaned my clock on the infield. He got 3rd in our class, and I got eighth. He told me he had turned a 1:47 at RA, and I was impressed, seeing as I have never broken 1:50, but then again I have only run once on the "new configuration".

But below 1:44, I'm impressed. I know you probably would not want to tell what you have done to your car, but please answer this. What tires do you use, and size for that matter? How many races do you get from a set of tires. I use mine till you can almost see the air through them.

Bill
Old 01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
IPC
Instructor

I will be glad to tell you anything I can. I am an instructor for several of the car clubs in the area and the person that built a large number of the cars. I own a repair shop and use my car as the R&D for the car that come to my shop. The one's that listen do well, others don't. The car I ran the :44 in was a stock 1988 engine from PAP the transmission was out of 944s2 that a friend of mine let me use because I was rebuilding my stock box and by the was a s2 box has longer gears than a 944 which hurt my times. Stock brakes with hawk blues. Stock spring centered clutch and flywheel. front spring rate 750# rear 550# coil over Koni double adj. Rebound and compression set very stiff. Racers edge bushings everywhere no rubber anywhere but the tires and steering wheel. Camber on front 2.3 deg l/f 2.2 deg r/f 2.5 rear both sides.Tire size 225 50 zr 16 frt/ 245 45 zr16 rear- Hoosier's the only way and 1 race a set. I qualify and race on a new set then use the set I race on for practics in the next event. If there is anything I missed, just ask.
One more thing, If you are the least bit worried about wrecking the car you will never be able to drive the car to it's limit, only yours.

Premier Service Center
Alpharetta, GA
NAPA Care Care Center
Old 01-24-2006, 11:09 PM
timo944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill - to answer your question way back - yes the March NASA race is 944 cup, and you should come. Contact John Mock for details on what you need to do at jrmock@att.net.

You should also read the article in the Feb Steering Wheel (Atlanta SCCA rag) about NASA. I feel that a lot of it is true. Basically it complains that there is no protest procedure, the officials favor the regulars (or at least their friends), and the officlas will ask you to F%*k off if you try to stir up the dust. All of this appears to be true. There are many cars running out of the norm and nobody wants to do anything about it. 944CUP is actually a catch-all for thoise cars that cannot run legally enywhere else, plus the PCA racers who can't get enough.

However, it's fun. They are a relaxed group, and there is enough track time to keep you happy.

Are you planning to be at the SCCA race in feb 27-28? 944's do OK in the Enduros.

Tim B.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Timo, Can't make the Atlanta race, that is the only time my wife is off, and I have to take her to Florida. I will be at the Roebling Road 944Cup in May. I will run enough SE 944 Cup to qualify for Mid Ohio. Looking forward to it. Yeah, I know about enduros, we got 6th at the ARRC enduro a couple of years ago.

Kerry, I will PM you about tires. I gotta go to work now.

Bill
Old 01-25-2006, 11:50 PM
vpk944
Intermediate

I really enjoy racing in the 944Cup Series. Most of the people that I run with (Southeast Region) are also PCA racers. Its true that there was 1 spoiler car in the group last year, but that car has been sold to someone far away. One great reason to run with more than one sanctioning body is that it allows you more run more races without as much travel. No, 1 car cannot be legally built that will win in SCCA, NASA, and PCA races. 944Cup rules allow both SCCA specs and PCA specs with weight concessions. It also allows PCA stock class cars to remove items such as the a/c, interior, and headlight assemblies. These items will get you moved to GT4 in PCA, but removal is up to the driver. From what I have seen, almost every car has a shot at winning. Even the cheater car from last year didn't win every race. Timo, you beat him in Atlanta, didn't you? I also enjoy the more relaxed 13/13 rule. PCA - if you leave the track and make the slightest contact with anything you get a 13. SCCA - seems you can punt anyone out of your way with no warning. NASA - if contact is a racing incedent and not intentional, then keep running (Trust me on this one - Campbell's and my car got to know each other a little too well). This is supposed to be for fun. If a known cheater car beats you it can make you a little mad, but at the same time who really cares. Its beating the other cars that are like yours that mean the most. My last race was with Tim P. and Campbell for second place and it was a blast. We all agreed that it should be for the win,(because the leader was obviously not legal) so we just dismissed the lead car as someone in another class. Should the scrut's have done something about it- YES. Did they - NO. Did it sour my dispossition on NASA - NO. Hope to see a large turnout at the RA race in March
Old 01-26-2006, 12:15 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timo944
Bill,

First, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I have gone sour on PCA and NASA, and am seriously thinking that SCCA is the best place to race. PCA is just overly pretentious. NASA is problematic because all of the 944's that are liiegal everywehere else show up. SCCA is pretty well controlled. I have also driven PBOC and it's a waste of time. Stick to SCCA.
Funny ,
I have felt the opposite about the SCCA , remember ITS , stands for I Thief Seriously. So there is alot illegally going on here. I do believe the 944 will need a alot more than just 200 lbs, to be competitive in ITS , but it is a start and with the same " Legal mods " as the other long time runners I do believe they could be competitive , still a way out as a legal its rx7 makes 200 bhp and spins to 9000 rpm. at the same weight . We are thinking of giving it a shot and doing one , as there are so many venues ,clubs and classes to run a 944 n/a @ .
Old 01-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

VKP944 and A. Wayne, and everybody. Thanks for your input, I have gotten pretty good response, but the response does not really show a pattern like had thought it would. I have found that a lot of 944 Cuppers still race SCCA. Mostly like I do, just to keep their license. I am looking forward to racing enough 944 Cup races to make the run-offs.

Hope to see a lot of you at Roebling. I haven't been there since 1998, but am looking forward to it, because it is the location of my first drivers school in 1985.

Bill
Old 01-26-2006, 06:14 PM
timo944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Victor

For the record: I did not beat "that fast car" at RA. I won the first race because he was running on 3 cylinders. In the 2nd race, I was all over him from 1 through 5 and 6-7, but he pulled me on the back straight and the front straight and was gone after two laps. That was a very fast car.

I out qualified him because I was such a pain in his side he let me go for a lap and dropped back and then they displayed the checker, way early. It was a 4-5 lpa qualifying session.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 PM
vpk944
Intermediate

Tim,

I wasn't at that race, just remember the results. I can attest to the car being fast. It was pulling 1.5 seconds on me down the front straight at Roebling. After a couple of laps running him down through the corners I finally had to give up because of overheating tires (that track can get slippery in some strange places). Hopefully the beast will have all the body work repaired and repainted before Atlanta. It will probably be yellow. The only other yellow 944 I remember in our area got balled up. Hopefully it didn't bring back too many bad memories.

Quick Reply: 944 in ITS