Sponsored by:

Lime Rock Park raises it rates again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:02 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Jersey Shore gave up their date as well.

Charlie
Old 01-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
NNJR and CVR are the last to see the effects because they pretty much fill up with their own members.
We have two dates at LRP this year: one in April and one in June or July. Both are Fri/Sat dates. The days we have are the most desireable - I think that's why we're still able to go there, and that's why we get full run groups.

In the case of Summit Point this past (2005) season: it was a Wed/Thurs event, we had ~60 folks sign up, and a total of around 50 in attendance. (This year, our Summit Point date was changed to a Mon/Tues event, IIRC. Still not the best, but far better than a mid-week event).

As for rates: they range from just above $300 for a student, to around $180-ish for instructors. I have a copy of the NNJR DE schedule at home with entry fees - but it's at home - I will verify the prices tonight.

- Z.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

LRP is so freakin expensive. Why? I guess I will just be doing LOTS of days at NHIS instead.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

In the Improved Touring forum ( (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/f...p?showforum=4), the fellow in charge of the work going on right now posted the following:

Hello gang, Mike Rand here, I am overseeing all this work at Lime Rock.
I have one request.
Wait until the work is done before going on the rev limiter.
It isn't even half way there as of today, Jan 25.
Of course the uphill is a huge work in progress, there are trees still to be removed, tons and tons more fill, eventually armco, catch fence, with substantial tire walls in front of the armco .And the grade away from the track will actually be slightly up to the barriers, not sloping down.
A whole lot of people yakking about something they don't have any first hand knowledge of. It seems there are those who think we are idiots and have no idea what we are doing.
As an open wheel driver I assure you, the changes will be a safer track for all.
Whoever posted saying the runoff at the downhill is being reduced is just wrong. All the tire barriers have been moved so the armco and fence work can get tone. Access, that's all. Jeez....They will all be returned to their place.
There will NO GRAVEL TRAPS, ANYWHERE, AT LIME ROCK.
There will be appropriate holes cut in fences for flagging, photography, worker and driver access.
Hell, the fence company just finished last Friday.
Give us a break....
I hope you folks will all settle down and let us finish the job.
Yes, there will be a new false grid. Yes, it takes up some of B Paddock. Yes, it should actually relieve congestion at the bottom of the paddock poads.
The whole place is a work in progress, lots af pavement in A paddock in the spring.
And yes, many of these safety upgrades were in fact dictated by IMSA/ALMS and Grand Am.
I promise I will not create any street course, as another poster suggested, the chicane will be the track renters option. I am re-engineering it as well, lower curbs, less steep ramps on the curbs, opened up as far as speed and car alignment, ie not aimed straight at the barriers, much more of a right-left-right flick rather than the way it was. There is absolutely NO intention to require any group to use the chicane. IMSA/ALMS is the only event where it is mandated, BY THE SANCTIONING BOdY !!!
Deep breath, everyone, it'll be ok. Wait until spring, ok?
Hey Clark, thanks for sticking a blow torch into the hornets nest.....
Mike Rand
Old 01-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Antonio - thanks for posting the message from Mike Rand. Sounds like a work in progress - hopefully the work will progress to completion before the start of the season!
Originally Posted by Z-man
I have a copy of the NNJR DE schedule at home with entry fees - but it's at home - I will verify the prices tonight.
- Z.
NNJR PCA 2006 dates and fees at Lime Rock:
April 14-15 (Fri/Sat) - Student: $325 - Solo: $275 - Instructor: $125
July 7-8 (Fri/Sat) - Student: $325 - Solo: $275 - Instructor: $125

As always, dates and fees are subject to change, blah blah blah...
-Z.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

A bit more information from Mike Rand as posted in the Improved Touring forum.

I forgot to mention, there are strengthening cables, actually 5/8" retired elevator cable, 3 rows of it to be attached to the back side [away from the track] of the fencing horizontally for added stregth. The cables are anchored and attached to the verticals with clamps. The fence on No-Name is because there is a stream, swamp, and beaver pond just over the berm. The cable will be installed as time allows in the spring, most likely impact areas first.

The fencing on the downhill drivers left is due to the trees and, once on the straight, the stream. The intent is to contain flying objects, be they wheels, suspension, or vehicles. Keeping cars out of woods and water hazards is considered a good plan. The only aspect needing attention will be fence repair in the event of significant fence damage.

The area to be false grid is actually one of the wetter areas in B paddock, it is under water right now. If you want dry go to the opposite corner. As long as gravity is in effect water will still flow from higher ground to lower ground.

And the runoff at the uphill is going to be paved. Asphalt will be a huge help in scrubbing speed, regaining control, changing direction and will solve erosion issues. Drainage will be adequate for all but the heaviest of downpours when we usually don't run anyway.

I repeat, runoff on drivers left in the downhill and onto the straight is not going to be lessened at all.

Mike Rand
Old 01-25-2006, 06:40 PM
eugene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the improvement items mentioned is fine and good. Much appreciated. How about the bumpy track ? Will the the track be repaved ?

Thank you.

eugene.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:21 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I may be totally wrong, but most of the "changes" seem to be something an insurance company might be requiring.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

While I don’t disagree with most of what others have said about Lime Rock, I feel that we need to be realistic. The example of Bridgehampton is fresh in my mind. Some guy with lots of money but no common decency decided to build his dream home by turn five. He then demanded that the track be closed because the noise was upsetting his snobbish guests. At the end of the day he, along with a bunch of others like him, won the argument. If nothing else, credit must be given to Skip Barber for keeping the peace with his very powerful and rich neighbors. In my opinion, a $300 a day bumpy, muddy and marginally safe Lime Rock, is better than no Lime Rock at all
Old 01-26-2006, 01:39 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, but they gotta repave that thing, it's a joke if they don't.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:46 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

It's great that they're making changes and doing maintenance at Lime Rock. But that doesn't answer the main argument that the rates have skyrocketed over the past two years. All tracks do maintenance. It should be built into the prices from two years ago. Still doesn't make sense. The rate increases are too high. Period.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

I know I'm going to catch a lot of heat for this but . . . I love Lime Rock.
It is a fun little track with what I like to call "character". Yes the down hill is bumpy but if you know where to place your car it is not that bad. What other track to you know can cause an instructor or student to loose their lunch going up the up hill. Without any gravel traps or tons or run off, there is not much room for error. And for beginners it is an easy track to learn. I agree the price increase is a bit much, but when you are the only game in town you can write you own ticket. I would guess if it was not for the Skip Barber school the track would have not survived this long.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm with you Driver8. In my case the proximity (45 minute tow) of the track makes it impossible for me not to spend a lot of time there. With my car I have no issues with bumpiness, though when I watch cars come down the front straight I can see some undulate quite a bit. I'm signing up for every day I can make this summer!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:47 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

No matter who's driving the bus (the track or an insurance underwriter) I applaud the concern for safety and the upgrades currently underway. Personally I would rather see safety improve before the racing surface gets faster (and in effect making the runoffs smaller). Ideally they happen at the same time but if budgets require it, safety is the best place to spend the little money they may have. I'm not defending LRP, it pisses me off that it's more like a broken down cabin in the woods when some of the other tracks we visit are like AAA rated hotels, but I welcome saftey improvements before we start lapping faster. They do have to make major upgrades to the infrastructure if they want to survive and compete with WGI, Pocono, NHIS, etc
Old 01-26-2006, 10:57 AM
lucca77
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track rates as of Spring 2005

Passing along some info from our SCCA local meeting ( march 2005)
Lime Rock $21,000 per DAY
Nelson Ledges $9,200 per weekend
Beaverun $11,400 per weekend
Summit Point $24,000 per weekend
Pocono $33,000 per weekend
Mid Ohio $34,000 per weekend

Quick Reply: Lime Rock Park raises it rates again!