Sponsored by:

NASA vs PCA

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At what point is the PCA going to figure out that the passengers are upcoming student drivers and the heart of keeping the club growing. We also have teenage children that are going to be driving and could use some good ride along experience. From my view and experience the instructors are not all that helpful with the Non-Drivers any way at DE’s. They are running around with their heads cut off just trying to keep up due to not having enough to go around. I can put someone in my dedicated track car all day long and teach but it’s like pulling teeth getting anyone from the Citrus Region to respond to instructor application requests. Just my opinion but NASA and CHIN Motorsport events are a lot more fun for the whole family.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:07 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish NASA was present in the Midwest - I miss it!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:41 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Clark
At what point is the PCA going to figure out that the passengers are upcoming student drivers and the heart of keeping the club growing. We also have teenage children that are going to be driving and could use some good ride along experience. From my view and experience the instructors are not all that helpful with the Non-Drivers any way at DE’s. They are running around with their heads cut off just trying to keep up due to not having enough to go around. I can put someone in my dedicated track car all day long and teach but it’s like pulling teeth getting anyone from the Citrus Region to respond to instructor application requests. Just my opinion but NASA and CHIN Motorsport events are a lot more fun for the whole family.

I know of one PCA group that has done just that. Potomac did a program this last season called Taste of the track. The idea was to get spouses and other family members a chance to see what all the noise and fun was about. It is primarily a venue for members that are interested in DE but wanted to see what was involved. There was a small fee that was 100% donation to a local charity.
It is not set up as just a fun ride but the participants do get to go on track in an instructor’s car at speed for a full run. The instructors are coached not to show off but to drive well and with the head fully upright and engaged. You do not need to go 9 or 10 tenths to impress or have a 0.0 driver feel the fun. The participants also get to sit in on classroom and tech sessions, have lunch with the gang and watch from different corners during the day with an instructor discussing the methods used in the afternoon.

We are lucky to have a good sized instructor and instructor in training pool as well.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:50 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
I mean I love the competition of racing, but the work to fun factor and the polotics and genral BS that goes with it.........not interested any more.
I actually find racing to be far more enjoyable. No instructing, no politics...just drive fast.

Originally Posted by mark kibort
PCA for a great marquee event weekend, more rules, they talk safer, but usually they have their share of mishaps.
Most ofthe mishaps I saw this year in PCA club racing were single car incidents. I can't think of a single car to car contact that was not mechanical induced. In fact, I can only think of 2 car to car contacts from Lime Rock, Watkins Glen and Mosport. Both were at the Glen. The first one a rod goes thru case, a guy was right behind the car, slips on oil and crashes (very sad...was a really nice car ). In the 2nd one, a wheel separated and car spins into another car on the back straight.

As a contrasting point, a friend of mine races in Spec Miata...he was hit 2 or 3 times in 6 races, and it "rubbed" every single race.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:03 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I actually find racing to be far more enjoyable. No instructing, no politics...just drive fast.
This is certainly not meant as a flame or anything....and of course to each his own. But are you kidding me? No politics in racing? You mean to tell me that there aren't protests for cheating and unsportsmanlike driving, and rule interpretation arguments going on where you race? Unless you are a back marker, you can't help but be involved or suffer the effects of it in some way.

Why not share what you know with others that don't? I just got back from Roebling this wekend and had another "never done this before" student that I turned completly around in the course of a weekend.....thats a great feeling to be able to get through to someone and know that not only did they learn, but you helped them have one hell of a time.

And I drive plenty fast in DE's thank you

but I respect your opinions and experiences.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:14 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

This is certainly not meant as a flame or anything....and of course to each his own. But are you kidding me? No politics in racing? You mean to tell me that there aren't protests for cheating and unsportsmanlike driving, and rule interpretation arguments going on where you race? Unless you are a back marker, you can't help but be involved or suffer the effects of it in some way.
Well, I'm not a back marker and have not seen any protests or unsportsmanlike driving.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:23 PM
993inNC
Race Car

That is truely amazing! I ran SCCA for 5 years.....I don't think I attended a race that didn't have a protest forcheating, or some yahoo that went barreling through the field banging into anything he could find.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:34 PM
spyderman
Instructor

hey, I ran PCA and NASA DEs, and I would have to say from my experience, the pca instructors are better than any one else. With NASA I was in HPDE 3, and during the class room session it sounded like I was in a green group session at the PCA. the lady running the class room also mentioned that it was a good idea to honk your horn if you dont get a pass signal. no wear have I ever heard that before, I thought the class room sessions were a waste of time, but the people were cool and the track was great.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:40 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

That is truely amazing! I ran SCCA for 5 years.....I don't think I attended a race that didn't have a protest forcheating, or some yahoo that went barreling through the field banging into anything he could find.
You should try PCA club racing. It's very different than what you describe.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:46 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Kurt M - I think your description of the DE Program above is a GREAT idea! I am going to pass that idea along to my local PCA Region BOD and see what they think. Dan S and Terry R, if you are watching, what do you think??
Old 01-16-2006, 06:48 PM
993inNC
Race Car

I may have to. At the rate of mods on my car, it'll be ready for.....D I think it is..... soon
Old 01-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

Get on track with a certain red GT3 and you will be in for some fun. Be prepared for some evasive manuvers
Old 02-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Tim Comeau
Racer

Keep in mind that every different NASA Chapter has a slightly different flavor, same with the PCA Club races. Different management, procedures, politics.
I've never been disappointed at a NASA SoCal event, nor at the "once-a year-out-here" PCA Club race.
NASA is defintely more race based. PCA is more conservative in every aspect. Both are fine. Same dish made in a different kitchen.
CHEERS!
Old 02-17-2006, 09:30 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ran Open Practice session (Instructors and Advanced Students) with NASA at VIR - it was my first with them. Here's my view:

They are quite different. NASA is far more oriented toward racing. Passing anywhere, including turns, with a point. 90% of the cars were trailered in and there was everything from vintage NASCAR to Caterhams. I think the 944 was the most popular car. The two other groups (Test & Tune and Super Comp) ran in full race mode - pass anywhere/anytime.

The event was very safe without incident. Everyone was very respectful. I got four runs totaling 2 hours of track time. NASA stops only for lunch. As one group exits, a pace car takes out the next group so track time is maximized. I like this idea - once the pace car exits, it's full throttle.

I don't know how many people were in my run group, but I did not find it crowded at all. I would say NASA needs to be more efficient in their tech and pay more attention to safety - the tech inspection was useless and for my first two runs, no one checked my wristband. These are not complaints - just suggestions. Overall, I highly recommend it if you are an advanced driver or looking for race opportunities.

72F, hardly a cloud in sight - what a great day!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:34 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I am so happy we have choices, SCCA, PCA, Vintage, NASA, and so on !

About getting new drivers in PCA. The "Taste of the Track" is a PCA National recognized way of getting people some real laps with an instructor. Another person explained this already but it is up to a local region to do it or not. Lunch time charity tour laps don't work.

Quick Reply: NASA vs PCA